Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT work in Perth, no large companys?

IT work in Perth, no large companys?

Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default IT work in Perth, no large companys?

I have started looking for IT support / Network admin type work in perth. Just about every advert seems to be IT companies who want consultants to visit their clients.

Ideally I am looking for a large company to work in their IT department but I seem to be finding that all companies here are small to medium and dont employ IT people. Instead they hire the services of an IT outsource consultant company to come in and do bits for them.

That isnt the sort of role I am looking for, I dont want to be driving around from client to client all day, I want to find a large company within which I can service their systems. Is this possible in Perth?
Anyone have any experience with IT roles in perth?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:35 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT work in Perth, no large companys?

maybe you will find that the large companies are based in Bris/Mel/Syd? - that is certainly true for the later two for the companies that my OH is employed/deals with or other potential employers.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:36 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: IT work in Perth, no large companys?

Originally Posted by dave99
I have started looking for IT support / Network admin type work in perth. Just about every advert seems to be IT companies who want consultants to visit their clients.

Ideally I am looking for a large company to work in their IT department but I seem to be finding that all companies here are small to medium and dont employ IT people. Instead they hire the services of an IT outsource consultant company to come in and do bits for them.

That isnt the sort of role I am looking for, I dont want to be driving around from client to client all day, I want to find a large company within which I can service their systems. Is this possible in Perth?
This is a first response so don't take it too badly.

Don't try to force the IT market in to something it's not. It's not about what you want, it's about what the customers/employers want.

Change your strategy, adapt, open your mind to new possibilities, think out the box, new place = new way of doing things. Or you could just move to Sydney!

By the way I have never been to Perth. But these principles are applicable when ever you move some place new.

LAW #1: Ask the customers what they want then provide it!
Don't provide something your good at when no one wants it!

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I'm really trying to be helpful by trying to change your mindset. For you Info' I'm off to Cairns and there are no IT jobs there for me

Good luck.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

A guy i knew couldn't get a job in IT either in Perth. He headed back home to UK earlier this year.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:29 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
A guy i knew couldn't get a job in IT either in Perth. He headed back home to UK earlier this year.
Blimey. We have a subsidiary in Perth and they keep sending work our way. And some of it worth big dollars too.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by wmoore
Blimey. We have a subsidiary in Perth and they keep sending work our way. And some of it worth big dollars too.
Maybe it's who you know and not what you know
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:41 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Maybe it's who you know and not what you know
Yeah perhaps. Our subsidiary is a software house so I guess they walk into potential infrastructure projects all the time but don't have the means to handle it, hence they come to us.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:46 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of big firms in Perth. Rio Tinto, BHP, Worley Parsons, Alinta, Water Corp, Transperth, Telstra, Synergy/Horizon, ...
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:48 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I've seen quite a few ads for jobs in the public sector - have you investigated that option?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Hi Dave,There are loads of IT jobs in Perth doing desktop support or Helpdesk,ive been here over a year and i have contracted to large companies during that time...IE...go to work and stay there.... some times having to goto another site but only for the day....most of the contracts have been for a 2/3 months but once you have built up Ozzie work experience you might get longer contracts...I'm on a years contract now and that looks set to getting extended until 2010..

Steve
Old Sep 8th 2007, 11:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

iinet, one of the main ISPs in Australia, are based in Perth.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:19 pm
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
There are loads of big firms in Perth. Rio Tinto, BHP, Worley Parsons, Alinta, Water Corp, Transperth, Telstra, Synergy/Horizon, ...
Indeed, if you can't find a job in Perth there is something wrong.....also there is the public sector. You just need to sign up to the WA govt jobs site and there are IT jobs out every day. Thye may not pay as well as the private sector but there are tons of jobs.