Work in Oz

Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

kellic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in Oz

My partner thinks we need a job before we look in to traveling to oz for a year, does anyone agree? If so does anyone know any good sites where i can find work out in oz? Or do we just go out their and see what we find??

Kelly x
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Work in Oz

Originally Posted by kellic
My partner thinks we need a job before we look in to traveling to oz for a year, does anyone agree? If so does anyone know any good sites where i can find work out in oz? Or do we just go out their and see what we find??

Kelly x
If you're just travelling around on a working holiday visa you won't be able to sort a job before you get to Australia anyway.

If you're looking for a job for a permanent visa then the following might help:

http://www.careerone.com.au
http://www.seek.com.au
http://www.hays.com.au
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

hiya

try www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au. Hope these helo.

Nikki
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Yes it's just a working holiday visa we are applying for.
I've just been told that we need to have a return flight booked before they will allow us in their country, is this correct?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's just a working holiday visa we are applying for.
I've just been told that we need to have a return flight booked before they will allow us in their country, is this correct?
No it's not correct. You need to be able to show you have sufficient funds to buy one (they typically would like to see that you have $5k savings)...although this is rarely checked.

I entered Aus twice on a one-way ticket while on a WHV and was never once asked for any proof of onward travel or funds.

...and the second poster is right, its highly unlikely you will be able to secure a job before arriving.

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 4th 2008 at 12:10 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

That's right,

I was on a WHV in 04-05, I remember reading all the bumpth on the immigration web site about requirements and especially the minimum funds you will have to show at customs.

Went to all that trouble of getting bank statements together, gets to customs with my passport ready to show all my docs, proof of return flight and funds.....passed through without them asking me a thing inquizative or showing anything i brought but my passport with the visa sticker in it. Just what I was planning on doing whilst I was there. "Travelling and a bit of work I told em" I think they just ask that so they don't appear in-human or robotic like some customs staff you encounter in other countries.

I think to many of us watch that 'border patrol' on Living TV to much! LOL!

Originally Posted by bcworld
No it's not correct. You need to be able to show you have sufficient funds to buy one (they typically would like to see that you have $5k savings)...although this is rarely checked.

I entered Aus twice on a one-way ticket while on a WHV and was never once asked for any proof of onward travel or funds.

...and the second poster is right, its highly unlikely you will be able to secure a job before arriving.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam76
That's right,

I was on a WHV in 04-05, I remember reading all the bumpth on the immigration web site about requirements and especially the minimum funds you will have to show at customs.

Went to all that trouble of getting bank statements together, gets to customs with my passport ready to show all my docs, proof of return flight and funds.....passed through without them asking me a thing inquizative or showing anything i brought but my passport with the visa sticker in it. Just what I was planning on doing whilst I was there. "Travelling and a bit of work I told em" I think they just ask that so they don't appear in-human or robotic like some customs staff you encounter in other countries.

I think to many of us watch that 'border patrol' on Living TV to much! LOL!
They can and sometime do ask for proof of funds, and while it may seem a hassle having to get the paperwork and money sorted out, is it really worth the risk? Immigration are quite entitled to put you on the next plane back if they feel you don't have the money to support yourself. It has happened to people, and no doubt it will happen again.
Border Security may make the whole thing glamorous but AUstralia had these rules in place long before the TV programme came along.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:26 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

It's also worth noting that if you work for a couple of months fruit picking [in certain areas] you can apply for another 12 month whv.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Cate502 is an unknown quantity at this point

So is bringing a certified copy of a bank statement showing you have about $5k in a savings account sufficient for proof of funds or do you also need bank statements showing what you have in you current account etc.?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cate502
So is bringing a certified copy of a bank statement showing you have about $5k in a savings account sufficient for proof of funds or do you also need bank statements showing what you have in you current account etc.?
$5k in any account would do.

Financial requirements
You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AUD$5,000 may be regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.

You may be asked to provide evidence. Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...ty-first.htm#d

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 4th 2008 at 10:52 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Cate502 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. Sounds a bit more straight forward than I thought!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

If proof of onward travel really concerns you then buy yourself the cheapest one-way ticket you can find to New Zealand before you come (i've seen plenty of seats for less than $150 before). Besides, I'd recommend anyone coming to Aus for a WHV spends at least a couple of weeks over there anyway.

When I entered NZ they DID ask to see proof of onward travel, so if you can factor it into your trip maybe best to buy a rtn ticket.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:15 am
Just Joined

we are really desperate to get out to oz for next year poss Jan, do we really need to have x amount in the bank or can we just go with what ever we have saved??
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

we are really desperate to get out to oz for next year poss Jan, do we really need to have x amount in the bank or can we just go with what ever we have saved??
Think about it logically.
You are coming to Aus for a year, you won't be able to get a job on a WHV until you are here, so what are you going to live on? And if you don't come with a return ticket, how are you going to pay to get home - remember you may need to go home for some reason before the year is up.
All you need to show is that you have enough money to support yourselves - how else are you planning to live?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

well we should have enough saved from now until Jan 09 myself and partner are in good paying jobs, we also have family out there so will be staying with them. xx