Work ethic

Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

RobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant future
Question Work ethic

I'm trying to get a feel for the work ethic in Oz and by that I mean typical work hours, holidays, whether people go at it full ball all day or whether its more relaxed. Having been to Oz a number of times (on holiday) I don't believe the "laid back" myth, but I'm trying to get an idea of what someone in a similar type job would consider "hard work".

For comparison, I'm an IT manager working in the City in London, but not in an investment bank (i.e. I have a life! ). So I'm looking at comparable sort of work - oh, and Brisbane is currently destination of choice.

I'm viewing our move as a lifestyle choice, so I really want to understand what kind of lifestyle we're choosing!

Rob
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work ethic

Originally Posted by RobAndEwa
I'm trying to get a feel for the work ethic in Oz and by that I mean typical work hours, holidays, whether people go at it full ball all day or whether its more relaxed. Having been to Oz a number of times (on holiday) I don't believe the "laid back" myth, but I'm trying to get an idea of what someone in a similar type job would consider "hard work".

For comparison, I'm an IT manager working in the City in London, but not in an investment bank (i.e. I have a life! ). So I'm looking at comparable sort of work - oh, and Brisbane is currently destination of choice.

I'm viewing our move as a lifestyle choice, so I really want to understand what kind of lifestyle we're choosing!

Rob
Rob

It really varies according to your employer and the job you do. There is no standard. Larger companies are very much embracing the flexible working thing and work/life balance. At my company we are able to work pretty much the hours we want, so long as we complete a certain number in a week.

Buzzy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
As an IT Manager I think you would be expected to put in some pretty big hours in the corporate sector. The laid back thing is just a myth as you rightly say. Aussies work the longest hours in the OECD behind Japan.

If you go Government you will be ok, but you don't want to do that!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:55 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
Hi Rob

As a HR Manager, I think I give you some idea. The truth is many companies do embrace flexible working patterns, some say they do but in reality there is a deep culture of presenteeism and long hours and some expect you to grow old at your desk. I would say having a long history within this field in the UK, that I find acceptance of flexible working especially reduced hours or condensed weekly working less generally accepted than at home. Also in some organisations there remains the assumption that long hours equals committment and guarantees progression.

Your best bet is to avoid the type of nonsense spouted by recruitment sales consultants and really investigate the companies with a culture that you are drawn too. Sometimes this may mean a compromise on industry sector, location or pay but if work/life balance and flexible working are indeed a priority to you, then this should be fine.

Within the interview process, I recommend that you try to a have a peer interview or peer meeting to get an idea of what working for that organisation is really like. (I always arrange a coffee meeting with a member of a team that I wish to join or when asking someone to join my organisation) at the end of the decision making process.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

RobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies! When you say long hours, just how long do you mean? 8am to 6pm? What would be typical - especially in Bris?

Thanks for the peer interview tip Buster - I'll definitely remember that.

I hadn't actually considered the Gov, Rabsody, - been in big corporates all my life - but why specifically should I avoid it?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies! When you say long hours, just how long do you mean? 8am to 6pm? What would be typical - especially in Bris?

Thanks for the peer interview tip Buster - I'll definitely remember that.

I hadn't actually considered the Gov, Rabsody, - been in big corporates all my life - but why specifically should I avoid it?
Well you'll get decent hours but can you handle constant pointless meetings and committees, heavy duty internal politics usually accompanied by lots of backstabbing (particularly if you are any good at your job LOL!), bureaucracy to the degree that means you can never actually get anything done, incompetent staff that would be out on their ear if they worked in the "real world" and so on and so on. Obviously I realise that not all govt. is like this but can you tell I hated it?!!

In terms of hours in the corporate sector, my OH is in IT and I would agree with busterboy in that there is a strong expectation of long hours at your desk. IT is one of the areas that seem to be pretty bad in this regard (this is probably a global thing though, not just Aus!). 8.30-5.30pm is pretty much standard office hours in Aus anyway, give or take half an hour so that won't be considered a long day, just the norm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

8.30-5.30 = much the same number of hours as I currently work, so it would seem to be comparable. I hope the reality isn't way more than that otherwise I've got to wonder why exactly I'm dragging my family halfway round the world. Sunshine is only good if you get to see it!

Anyone else have comments on how mgmt type jobs compare, particularly between London and Bris? (Corporate sector, not Govt lol!). People friendlier/sneakier, more/less competent, etc, etc? I appreciate these are generalisations - I'm really just trying to get a feel for it all.

Rob
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine is only good if you get to see it!
You will not see much sunshine in Queensland anyway.....except at the weekend.

It will be dark before 7.0 pm most of the year....so don't expect to see much of it in the evenings after work
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else have comments on how mgmt type jobs compare, particularly between London and Bris? (Corporate sector, not Govt lol!). People friendlier/sneakier, more/less competent, etc, etc? I appreciate these are generalisations - I'm really just trying to get a feel for it all.

I worked for a large multi-national firm in the CBD that was into IT, I wasn't as I worked for another division.
But I found that they were the most backstabbing, dobbing bunch of so and so's I have ever had the misfortune to work for

I changed jobs after 15 months to my present firm and they are without doubt the best firm I have ever worked for

I think you have to follow the rule that any job is a good job to get you on the ladder.
A generalization I know, but most firms won't care too much about what you did in the UK. I needed a certain qualification to do my job in the UK and it was bloody hard to get, over here it isn't even heard of.

Hope this helps, it isn't mean't to be negative or to scare you off, just the way i see it.

John
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
I work as an IT consultant here and also did so in the UK. I probably work slightly less hours here, my hours are generally around 0800 - 1730. However I know a lot of people in my company are working horrendously long hours, I'm just lucky to work in a part of the business where that isn't the norm.

What do we achieve in those hours? So much less than we would've in the UK. I have found things here to be incredibly inefficient and lacking in even basic professional processes that make things run smoothly. As an IT manager, if you encounter situations like I have, you will probably be in shock.

I couldn't believe how major companies run their projects - I eventually gave up asking where x, y or z piece of documentation was as everyone was getting a bit over it! Needless to say the lack of it always came back to bite them on the arse!

My experience, but I can also second the comments re backstabbing / office politics - I have never known anything like it.

Maybe I've just been unlucky?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

OK, so not quite the positive "it's all cool" replies I was expecting Seriously though, thanks to everyone who's replied - I want to go into this with my eyes open.

Inefficiency I think I can deal with. Long hours? Well, I'll just have to pick my employer carefully. Backstabbing...doesn't sound too good. Is it a general thing or specifically aimed at Poms?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:13 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so not quite the positive "it's all cool" replies I was expecting Seriously though, thanks to everyone who's replied - I want to go into this with my eyes open.

Inefficiency I think I can deal with. Long hours? Well, I'll just have to pick my employer carefully. Backstabbing...doesn't sound too good. Is it a general thing or specifically aimed at Poms?
I think you have received quite a few good replies. I do find a lot of inefficiencies in working practice, a lot of duplication and lot of cronies who know all of the right buzzwords (this is a big bugbear of mine and I have been known to say 'you talk a good job, lets see it in the delivery'! Ironically my new company (who are based in the UK but operate in Australia) like the fact I call a 'spade a spade' so much that they called it a real positive.

There is some amount of politicing that goes on and it is I feel a less 'honest' workplace. Also watch out for those promoted without merit!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:15 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Rob, here in corporate Melbourne I have never been treated any differently work-wise because I am English. There is the usual banter about sport etc, but I find Melbourne people to be in the main very well informed about other countries, and keen to hear any anecdotes I care to bore them with.

Buzzy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Backstabbing...doesn't sound too good. Is it a general thing or specifically aimed at Poms?
I don't think it's specifically aimed at Poms. I've never had any problems in the workforce here for being English (that I know of anyway! ).
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Backstabbing...doesn't sound too good. Is it a general thing or specifically aimed at Poms?

Most definitely a general thing, like buzzy said most are only too pleased to hear about your life outside of Australia, only don't give them the "in the UK we did it like this" type of attitude.

I was amazed at the amount of immigrants who worked at my old firm, the vast majority being from the former Yugoslav States.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.