Wikiposts

Work culture NZ

Old Jul 8th 2003, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

scottc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work culture NZ

Hi,

I have recently been given an offer of employment in NZ doing IT Consultancy, and have a few questions about work and business culture in NZ. There are a few things in the contract which scares me somewhat. Firstly, I did not notice too many benefits in comparison with UK/Dutch/German companies I have worked for. No company car, 20 days holiday, I have not seen any mention of pension or health care, and sick time is 5 days and even then, no sick time in the first 6 months!!, (I dont know what you are supposed to do if you are actually sick within 6 months).

Is this normal?, I mean I realise I have had to take a wage cut, but I would have thought that employee benefits would have to exist to perk up the deal.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Scott.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 7:46 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work culture NZ

Originally posted by scottc
Hi,

I have recently been given an offer of employment in NZ doing IT Consultancy, and have a few questions about work and business culture in NZ. There are a few things in the contract which scares me somewhat. Firstly, I did not notice too many benefits in comparison with UK/Dutch/German companies I have worked for. No company car, 20 days holiday, I have not seen any mention of pension or health care, and sick time is 5 days and even then, no sick time in the first 6 months!!, (I dont know what you are supposed to do if you are actually sick within 6 months).

Is this normal?, I mean I realise I have had to take a wage cut, but I would have thought that employee benefits would have to exist to perk up the deal.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Scott.
Certainly sounds like what I experienced. Actually, when I was there three weeks holiday was the norm, not four. They also calculate a little different so you can't (or couldn't) normally take holidays within the first six months of employment.

Health care and pensions can be bought into privately. I think Southern Cross was the one that I used.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for a well known IT company and everyone gets private medical insurance. Three weeks holiday is the norm but I negotiated 4 weeks.

Superannuation (ie Pension) is provided after 6 months whereby the company contributes x% as long as you contribute a certain % of your salary as well.

Company cars or car allowances depend on the seniority of the role. Some people get them some people don't. In my experience if the base salary is greater that $60k then you normally get a car too.

Sick leave is a bit odd over here. You get so many sick days per year. If you exceed that number then you don't get paid. Its therefore a good idea to get income replacement insurance.

The company I work is flexible and if you are genuinely ill but have no sick days left then they would continue to pay you (assuming you're a valuable employee).

To benchmark your package you may want to contact one of the big IT receruitment agencies such as CAndle.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
I work for a well known IT company and everyone gets private medical insurance. Three weeks holiday is the norm but I negotiated 4 weeks.
Might be a silly question, but I've never had to negotiate my contract before. Do you just say you'd like more holiday and hope they want you badly enough to say yes, or do you trade off something else like a bit of salary.

Cheers,
Karen
Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

When they made me an offer I went back saying that I wanted more money and more holiday. (No in those words).

I was happy with the orignial salary but asked for more as a bargaining ploy to get the holiday. Its much easier for them to give you more holiday than more salary.

If this doesn't work get agreement upfront that each year you'd like to take a weeks unpaid leace as you really need 4 weeks to go back to the UK etc to see family
Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
When they made me an offer I went back saying that I wanted more money and more holiday. (No in those words).

I was happy with the orignial salary but asked for more as a bargaining ploy to get the holiday. Its much easier for them to give you more holiday than more salary.

If this doesn't work get agreement upfront that each year you'd like to take a weeks unpaid leace as you really need 4 weeks to go back to the UK etc to see family
Thanks for that, good advice!

I now need to get the job offer!