How did you? NZ

Old Jun 18th 2003, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How did you? NZ

Just a quick question how are you going to transfer your money to your New Zealand bank account and what kind of fees were you charged at either end? I have a First Direct accoun that I am planning to keep open and have set up an account in New Zealand. Don't think I want to use a froiegn exchange company what other options are there?

Thanks Tori

Moving out in three hours!!!
Old Jun 24th 2003, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Has any one any advice on the above thread?????
Tori
Old Jun 24th 2003, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS
Has any one any advice on the above thread?????
Tori
Why wouldn't you want to use a foreign exchange company? I've had not experience of them but I understand that there are many reputable ones that can get you near money market rates (as opposed to tourist rates).

Why are you planning on keeping a UK bank account? Just in case you decide to return? I'm not sure what the benefits of doing that are.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

speckles is an unknown quantity at this point

If you`re transferring more than about £5,000 use a foreign exchange company - you`ll get Forex rates instead of tourist rates, a big difference. Even using your local bank will get you a rate between the Forex rate and the tourist rate.

Exchange rate company should be no charge, banks may charge a small fee.

Good luck,
Doug
Old Jun 24th 2003, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've always used telegraphic transfers form my UK bank when I've transferred funds. Same with Transfers from NZ to Australia. And I've no complaints about the exchange rate.

May not be the best but suits me.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Andrew S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
Why wouldn't you want to use a foreign exchange company? I've had not experience of them but I understand that there are many reputable ones that can get you near money market rates (as opposed to tourist rates).

Why are you planning on keeping a UK bank account? Just in case you decide to return? I'm not sure what the benefits of doing that are.
I was planning on leaving some money behind in the UK, and keep an eye on the NZ exchange rate, transferring money back when it is favourable. It can't be a bad thing to keep some pounds sterling, can it? It must be more stable than the NZD.

Are others doing this, or does everyone just take all they have with them?
Old Jun 24th 2003, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andrew S
I was planning on leaving some money behind in the UK, and keep an eye on the NZ exchange rate, transferring money back when it is favourable. It can't be a bad thing to keep some pounds sterling, can it? It must be more stable than the NZD.

Hi Andrew,

Have a look at www.ozforex.com.au they will hold onto the money in sterling and change it when the rates may be nmore favourable, they seem like good exchange rates any how.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You can keep the money in Sterling in any NZ bank, just set up a foreign currency account and transfer your sterling to that. Then you can eaisly switch by just phoneing the bank.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

We have a property here that we will continue to rent out therefore need to keep open a uk account. Was just worried about using a company to transfer money what happens if the company goes bust what would ahppen with my money:scared:

Tori
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair enough but have you factored in the low interest rates over here, versus the higher rates that you can get in NZ? For example, you'd be lucky to get 4% over here, probably less, whereas 6% or more seems possible in NZ. I thought I even came across an 8% rate somewhere.

It's never quite as clear cut as you'd like.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fair enough but have you factored in the low interest rates over here, versus the higher rates that you can get in NZ? For example, you'd be lucky to get 4% over here, probably less, whereas 6% or more seems possible in NZ. I thought I even came across an 8% rate somewhere.

I agree Tony the majority of our money will be held in Nz. The account will purley be to pay mortgage and any out goings relating to the property. Still not sure if I will use a foriegn exchange company have just emailed a few companies so I will see what comes back.

Cheers Tori
Old Jun 25th 2003, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree Tony the majority of our money will be held in Nz. The account will purley be to pay mortgage and any out goings relating to the property. Still not sure if I will use a foriegn exchange company have just emailed a few companies so I will see what comes back.

Cheers Tori
Old Jun 25th 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I did the following prior to moving to Auckland.

1) Set up a NZ bank account with ASB Bank. This was done through ASB's london branch which is known as the Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

2) I then transferred money (pounds) from my First Direct Account to the Commonwealth Bank in London.

3) The Commonwealth Bank in London hold your funds in a sterling account (very low interest from memory).

4) You then call the Commonwealth Bank in London, check the rate and instruct them to transfer the money.

5) A few hours later your money is in an NZ account.

Cost of each transfer is 25 pounds (this was a year ago)

Commonwealth Bank in London can be recahed on (020) 7710 3990
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

That's excactly what we did !
Old Jun 26th 2003, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

tezzabart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by xpat19
That's excactly what we did !
HI
but what kind of rates did you get from them
tezza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.