Reload this Page >

IT Work- Best City

IT Work- Best City

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Back2Oz is on a distinguished road
Exclamation IT Work- Best City

Folks,
Can anyone advise as to what the actual IT market is like in each Oz City. I'm especially interested in newer technologies & Industrial / Consultancy activity. I've an interest in Perth and Sydney as a target destination, however I'm getting the impression that Perth IT business is a bit dated and focused only towards the Resources Industry only. Basically I'm coming from a Big 5 & Bluechip R&D background, working in the architect & PM roles in the XP .net arena..... where's the wedge at for this kind of work?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: IT Work- Best City

Hi,

Can't really help you there but try doing a search on the forum under IT jobs Perth and Sydney. May find something to help you.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Sydney is best, with Melbourne and Brisbane coming in at 2nd and 3rd.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: IT Work- Best City

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Coincidentally, having the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most expensive house prices!! Funny, that.............

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:27 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney's definitely your best bet.

Looking at Seek.com.au today, there are 12,500 IT vacancies. This is how they break down:

Sydney 40%
Melbourne 21%
Brisbane 9.5%
Canberra 6%
Perth 4%
Adelaide 1.5%
Darwin 0.5%
Other 17.5%

So you can see Sydney and Melbourne combined make up 61% of all IT jobs in Australia.

Cheers,

Big.

Last edited by Big Galah; Jan 22nd 2006 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:32 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Absolutely correct - Sydney is by far the best place, especially with your skills. I wanted to get work in Brisbane, but after a couple of weeks looking and talking to agents, I didn't bother and came down to Sydney. Still took me 3 months to find a job, though! Registered myself with 140+ agencies and ended up finding the job myself from a company who advertised directly.

Recruitment Consultants are even worse here than in the U.K, so you've really got to look and work hard for your jobs.

If you decided to come to Sydney, though, drop me a line - my company is usually on the look out for senior .NET guys.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:46 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I've been able to find work in Sydney very easily though my skill set isn't as cutting edge as yours.
My mate who does the same as me, tried Brisbane but soon gave up. He then went to Melb and found he had to compromise a bit on salary to get any interest.

Last edited by gedge; Jan 23rd 2006 at 4:49 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: IT Work- Best City

Originally Posted by gedge
I've been able to find work in Sydney very easily though my skill set isn't as cutting edge as yours.
My mate who does the same as me, tried Brisbane but soon gave up. He then went to Melb and found he had to compromise a bit on salary to get any interest.
May I ask which area of IT you're in? I'm in data networks, and still very undecided where to live based on the job situation.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
May I ask which area of IT you're in?
I often wonder that.
My background is an a AP on the iSeries (as400), but I tend to find myself working inter platform in what could be termed application integration.
I've been on the job market in Sydney 3 times and never taken more than 2 weeks to find a role. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:31 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Melb sucks in IT (jobs)...
I prefered Melb over Sydney before I made a move to city, and I really repent that move...
Good Luck
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote]
Perth 4%
[end-quote]

There might only be 4% of the jobs but these are proving hard to fill.
So if your any good you will shine in Perth.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

?PeterandSue? regarding the Perth roles being hard to fill, is this a fact or a general consensus. As you can imagine there's a big delta in planning towards a new life in Perth versus sydney (i.e. house expectation get's pared back dramatically). My Skill set is in the area of Technical Architect/ Manager using new Microsoft technologies (.net, Biztalk etc) in a Agile / XP delivery manner, to deliver Innovation R&D software (Proof of concept, new form factor etc), for a Tier 1 IT manufacturer.
Does any of this have a value in Perth? I've learned from previous experience, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you skills don't fit you don't fit.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:00 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gedge
I often wonder that.
My background is an a AP on the iSeries (as400), but I tend to find myself working inter platform in what could be termed application integration.
I've been on the job market in Sydney 3 times and never taken more than 2 weeks to find a role. Maybe I'm just lucky.
There are a lot of iSeries shops in Australia. The ratio is higher than in most other countries. Probably because most companies are into buying pre-built software packages, rather than self built. So I think that you might have some options there. (Pity you are not looking at NZ, one of the largest iSeries shops in the world is NZ Telecom).

It really pays to spread yourself around with agencies, because there are so many companies who sign exclusive deals, so if you are not on their books, then you are not going to get forwarded.

Also check the newspapers, I think they have weekly recruitment sections. But most importantly is to register with the online 'job banks', that is where both employers and also agencies got looking first of all.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Back2Oz
?PeterandSue? regarding the Perth roles being hard to fill, is this a fact or a general consensus. As you can imagine there's a big delta in planning towards a new life in Perth versus sydney (i.e. house expectation get's pared back dramatically). My Skill set is in the area of Technical Architect/ Manager using new Microsoft technologies (.net, Biztalk etc) in a Agile / XP delivery manner, to deliver Innovation R&D software (Proof of concept, new form factor etc), for a Tier 1 IT manufacturer.
Does any of this have a value in Perth? I've learned from previous experience, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you skills don't fit you don't fit.
Does your UK comany or any of its partners have offices in Aus? I know a couple of people that got jobs very easily because they knew who to contact directly.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, my company has sales & marketing only in the Area.
By the way, what's the iSeries reference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.