WORK!

Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

pkwa10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WORK!

Hi all

The time is getting nearer and I am starting to panic!!
My job is all confirmed, But the OH has been doing some paining and decorating, labouring, manly work here in the UK. He has a years car sales experience and 13 years as a baggage handler for British Airways.
He isnt worried about finding work where as I am emailing friends and contact in Sydney asking for help and advice!

In your opinions what the best route for him to go down, Should we start emailing his CV out while we are stiull in the UK or wait until we arrive?
Is it hard to find work of the labouring kind and does he need to pay for an OHS card.. I have been doing do much research but my mind is starting to smoke!!!

Thank you for any help in advance! x

Kelly x
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default Re: WORK!

It might be different up in Sydney but I find most people who get jobs here seem to do so because they know someone who then recommends them. Which makes it hard for newcomers. I'd say as soon as you get here get mingling with the locals and start asking around but in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to send out CVs.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:43 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pkwa10
Hi all

In your opinions what the best route for him to go down, Should we start emailing his CV out while we are stiull in the UK or wait until we arrive?
Is it hard to find work of the labouring kind and does he need to pay for an OHS card.. I have been doing do much research but my mind is starting to smoke!!!

Thank you for any help in advance! x

Kelly x
I'd strongly suggest that for the manual laboring rolls that you wait until arriving until you send out his resume. In general this type of work is more immediate. If your looking for sales or other types of work then you could try sending out resumes to different companies

For any work in construction he will need his Green / White card (Same card just changing name). You can do it online

http://www.whitecardonline.com.au/

Last edited by HUP; Nov 17th 2010 at 12:46 am.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
not long to wait now so fingers crossed!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pkwa10
Thank you!
not long to wait now so fingers crossed!
If he's looking for labouring work within the construction industry, try Workpac or Ranstad to get a foot in the door. They're both labour hire firms, but it will give him some of that all important Aussie experience
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you, He is looking into doing his lgv before we come or maybe training for it on arrival his Heavy Rigid?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

Get his blue/white card so he can work in construction.I wouldnt bother with doing lgv in the uk as you will need to be reassessed here.save your money and do it here or do some plant courses.forklift,traffic controller(always jobs going for traffic controllers).these can be 2 day courses and youdont need 120 logbook hours of experience for assessment like most other plant.
register with loads of labour hire firms.linndales,hays,telum, etc.like other posters have said to test the water.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Fab Thank you so much!

am looking into courses right now!