Work

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

marson will become famous soon enoughmarson will become famous soon enough
Default Work

Hello all, I'm after a bit of help here, My family and I want to move to Aus but I want to make sure there is going to be work for me, so I really need your recommendations for agents or such that can help me. Because I have a weird job (RAF Aircraft Weapons Engineering Technician) is doesn’t tie up to easily with what’s on offer.
A kind soul has reported that I can go for "General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson" which seems right and I have the qualifications and experience, so do you think I need the help of an agent, or professional migration company?
Do many people secure employment before going out there?
I have secure job with the RAF but it's not in Aus.
I have emailed the TRA on the subject of "General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson" but I'm not sure whether they answer general questions.

Folks thanks for reading this thread, any help you can provide will be appreciated,

Mike
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:03 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Work

Hi marson,
Agents just sort out sending it all off and advising you. They don't sort out employment
Do it yourself and save money, iyt's not beyong most people.

It all depends on what qualifications you have and if you have the paperwork trail that they won't to see.
The TRA have a web site that is quite good and advised me when I asked them.

Hope this helps

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by marson
Hello all, I'm after a bit of help here, My family and I want to move to Aus but I want to make sure there is going to be work for me, so I really need your recommendations for agents or such that can help me. Because I have a weird job (RAF Aircraft Weapons Engineering Technician) is doesn’t tie up to easily with what’s on offer.
A kind soul has reported that I can go for "General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson" which seems right and I have the qualifications and experience, so do you think I need the help of an agent, or professional migration company?
I have emailed the TRA on the subject of "General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson" but I'm not sure whether they answer general questions.

Folks thanks for reading this thread, any help you can provide will be appreciated,

Mike
Hi Mike,

I think you will find that a lot of people will advise you to save your money and do your application yourself. To a degree I agree with this. However, if you are struggling to find an occupation on the SOL which fits what you do then I think you may well benefit from the advice of an agent. We have used George Lombard who regularly advises on this forum and I would highly recommend him. He helped us with our application to the TRA for my hubby as an Aircraft Maintenence Engineer. Alan Collet also comes highly recommended by others. By way of a guideline George has charged us AUD $2000 for our application which I think is very reasonable.

I would suggest that you look up in the ASCO the duties involved as a Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson and see if you can fit what you do into their definition.

I think it's probably right to say that most people find it very difficult to get a job before they get to Aus. Aussie employers aren't really interested in you unless you're over there. My hubby's looking to try and do his EVT courses in Aus so that he can at least have some Aussie qualifications before we move out there.

BTW, you need to be careful if you apply for a visa while you are still in the RAF. We were about to submit our visa application earlier this year when George advised us that there is a new DIMIA policy not to grant visas to serving members of foreign armed forced. You have to obtain your discharge papers before they will grant your visa....

Hope this helps.

Nicola
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:07 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,

We do a stage 1 skills assessment review which answers the question you have asked as to which occupation can you nominate.

Please send me an email if you would like details of our fees.

For the detailed definition of General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson go to this site and type 4111-11 in the search box:
http://www.abs.gov.au

Best regards.

Originally posted by marson

Mike

Last edited by Alan Collett; Nov 23rd 2003 at 12:11 am.