Woolies

Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:39 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Woolies

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I wish I'd written this.... One of my all time favourite BE posts Great stuff TP

Imagine what those poor buggers at those checkouts have to endure, must really grind you down after a while.
Apart from the repetitive work, they stand on 'anti fatigue' mats, dealing with some real assholes. I think working at a checkout is one of the hardest jobs I ever did in my life (Tesco, years ago). Some of the complete morons you get through - rude, arrogant people who think they're somehow better than you. And then, lovely customers who would queue up at your checkout because they knew you were friendly and pleasant.

Deriding service people is disgusting and pathetic. If you knew some of the stories of those people I've worked with, you'd be not so happy to be handing out looks of derision. There's a lady at our local who works there to support her very disabled daughter. It's the only job she can get which is casual enough to fit in with her life.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by brissybee
In that case, I would like Woolies to keep the friendly checkout operators who understand it's dumb to pack fresh bread under potatoes... and get rid of the ones with attitude who are miserable with every customer that has the misfortune to pass through their counter.
So go and make a complaint to your store. If they don't know you're unhappy, how on earth are they going to fix it?

Write to Michael Luscombe. He's the CEO at the moment and he's an incredibly nice man.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Aug 31st 2011 at 3:44 am.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:43 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I did write a letter complimenting a checkout operator for their excellent service recently.

It was so refreshing.

And rare.
I've done the main grocery shop at the same Woolies for the past year and the employees have always been friendly. I guess it all depends on your area.

I guess I am more inclined to have a brief chat because many moons ago I did a year part-time on grocery shop floor and the checkouts at Tescos.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, I would like Woolies to keep the friendly checkout operators who understand it's dumb to pack fresh bread under potatoes... and get rid of the ones with attitude who are miserable with every customer that has the misfortune to pass through their counter.

How often do you see that ? I would have thought that's a very unusual occurrence. Got to say I can't ever recall ever going past a check out where the staff member had 'tude in Aus... honestly ! The bread and Potato and similar packing blunders yes..

Having said the above... I would totally agree about getting rid of them, if you are getting that kind of service.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:46 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
So go and make a complaint to your store. If they don't know you're unhappy, how on earth are they going to fix it?
I already complimented the really good one...

Now you want me to whinge about the really sour-faced one!

Actually, what I'd really like is more checkouts open at peak times so people aren't trolley raging for a spot in the queue.

Oh yes, and British sweets. In every aisle of every store.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:50 am

I already complimented the really good one...

Now you want me to whinge about the really sour-faced one!
Yes.

Actually, what I'd really like is more checkouts open at peak times so people aren't trolley raging for a spot in the queue.

Oh yes, and British sweets. In every aisle of every store.
You'd have to speak to the service manager or the store manager and tell them that. It really depends how their staff levels are on the day. Esp when it's flu season and people are ill.... sometimes you can lose 4 people off a shift and it can blow everything out of the water.

PS - not confident about your chances of British sweets.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When you get served like that, go to Customer Services and tell them. Most of the checkout chicks know how to pack bags but there are obviously some who either don't care or are having a bad day. First Born has people go through her line regularly because a) they reckon she's the best packer in there and b) they want to know how she's getting on at Uni, after her op etc etc etc. She's had people tell CS that she's brilliant, she's also had one or two go and complain about her - it's life and she'd rather know she'd done something wrong than think everything is fine.

However she's also had some who abuse and shout at her and she's had to call the Supervisor over because she's actually been scared of what the person is going to do. Asking a mother to please remove her child from the conveyor belt as it's not a game and the child could get hurt, shouldn't result in the mother threatening to '****ing smack' her.

I fail to understand why adults think it's ok to be rude, objectionable and aggressive to teenagers who just want to earn some money.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I guess that depends on the mgt of the store and how well they run the place.
It's rare people comment on how good things are but quite happy to look down on people in service industries and moan on expat boards. They would have been very happy to get that letter.

Incidentally, Woolworths regularly scans the internet to see how people are talking about them so that they can fix issues or gauge general attitude and therefore fix issues at the training point. So they'll read this.
My wife and I, go out of our way to tell people when they have done a good job. It takes a moment to do, and yet it can make somebodies day.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
My wife and I, go out of our way to tell people when they have done a good job. It takes a moment to do, and yet it can make somebodies day.
Good for you Creature. I do it too. Probably makes up for the ****wits they have to deal with at the checkouts.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:07 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps another reason people dont like "talking" is the rip off prices of the Woolies/Coles duopoly. Added to goods well past their sell by date.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:10 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Perhaps another reason people dont like "talking" is the rip off prices of the Woolies/Coles duopoly. Added to goods well past their sell by date.
So you're just going to ignore the last 4 pages of arse-kicking that you've got for acting like a knob?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:13 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
When you get served like that, go to Customer Services and tell them. Most of the checkout chicks know how to pack bags but there are obviously some who either don't care or are having a bad day. First Born has people go through her line regularly because a) they reckon she's the best packer in there and b) they want to know how she's getting on at Uni, after her op etc etc etc. She's had people tell CS that she's brilliant, she's also had one or two go and complain about her - it's life and she'd rather know she'd done something wrong than think everything is fine.

However she's also had some who abuse and shout at her and she's had to call the Supervisor over because she's actually been scared of what the person is going to do. Asking a mother to please remove her child from the conveyor belt as it's not a game and the child could get hurt, shouldn't result in the mother threatening to '****ing smack' her.

I fail to understand why adults think it's ok to be rude, objectionable and aggressive to teenagers who just want to earn some money.
Totally agree with you here MP.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
So you're just going to ignore the last 4 pages of arse-kicking that you've got for acting like a knob?
I find it's an approach that works for me.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
There are three types. Woolworths have made it easy so someone of your intellect can fully understand it.

RED = People who don't want a conversation - their mother might have just died and they have to shop, or maybe they're just not a talkative person. Woolworths staff have to evaluate and interpret their mood and act accordingly.

ORANGE (Can you see where they're going with this?) = people who aren't immediately chatty but who can be drawn into a conversation.

GREEN = people who immediately start chatting with you - they want interaction.

If I'd have been you, I'd have quit whilst I was ahead instead of coming up with your deeply insightful attempt to change the focus on you being an arse, but hey, that's me.

Tomorrow, you can pick the window we'll all go through. Will it be round or square, or maybe even... arched?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:21 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I find it's an approach that works for me.
I guess if you're going to ignorant, arrogant and demeaning in real-life you might as well carry it over to the virtual world. It would be too difficult to switch personalities otherwise.

Not YOU obviously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.