Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Woodlands, Waterford what is it like

Woodlands, Waterford what is it like

Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default Woodlands, Waterford what is it like

Hi there,
Looking at moving out of beenleigh been looking at woodlands, what is it like? Is it a nice place to live? Any info would be good. Early days though we haven't got our place on the Market yet!
Thanks
Sarah
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woodlands, Waterford what is it like

Waterford doesn't have the best reputation and is considered 'low rent'. It all depends on budget of course and I don't know this Woodlands at all.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sormesher
Hi there,
Looking at moving out of beenleigh been looking at woodlands, what is it like? Is it a nice place to live? Any info would be good. Early days though we haven't got our place on the Market yet!
Thanks
Sarah
I'm not a fan of the pre-planned developments but I'm sure there are nice spots depending on who your neighbours are (a big consideration on small blocks).

We are not a million miles from there and find living conditions vary a lot so don't worry about 'bad reputations' and all that. My best advice, seeing as you are relatively close, is to visit on Friday/Saturday nights and see what the vibe is like.

We discounted many seemingly idyllic spots after a few 'party night' visits.

It seems a small distance to move (relatively), what is motivating you to move from where you are?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'm not a fan of the pre-planned developments but I'm sure there are nice spots depending on who your neighbours are (a big consideration on small blocks).

We are not a million miles from there and find living conditions vary a lot so don't worry about 'bad reputations' and all that. My best advice, seeing as you are relatively close, is to visit on Friday/Saturday nights and see what the vibe is like.

We discounted many seemingly idyllic spots after a few 'party night' visits.

It seems a small distance to move (relatively), what is motivating you to move from where you are?
Yeah I know what you mean, what you have said about noise etc is why we need to move from where we are. It's 8am and neighbour has music blasting police don't care and nor does he. Only thing is I work in nerang and oh in north lakes so need a nice place in the middle. Any ideas:-)
Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:29 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm biased I know but I would be looking more toward Daisy Hill, Shailer Park area. To me at least a bad reputation is important and personally wouldn't even consider Waterford but that is me.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sormesher
Yeah I know what you mean, what you have said about noise etc is why we need to move from where we are. It's 8am and neighbour has music blasting police don't care and nor does he. Only thing is I work in nerang and oh in north lakes so need a nice place in the middle. Any ideas:-)
I hear that, I am particularly sensitive to noise having had a string of bad locations in the UK.

I would say that moving to Woodlands would very much depend on the neighbours and could be a lot of hassle for more of the same problems.

Even here, with a few acres around us, there are people who think that because they have the space they can turn the stereo up full ... But generally it is calm and the neighbours are friendly (we were filling sandbags with ours yesterday and borrowed their trailer).

Maybe think more rural and further out off the Waterford-Tamborine Road ... Buccan/Logan Village? Or further out from Beenleigh .... Wolffdene-ish. Gets more expensive with more land, obviously.

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm biased I know but I would be looking more toward Daisy Hill, Shailer Park area. To me at least a bad reputation is important and personally wouldn't even consider Waterford but that is me.
We did some drive-bys in Shailer Park and thought the block sizes were a bit small and there seemed to be a lot of 'party people' (bogans, basically). Of course, this was only where we looked so I'm sure there are nice bits.

I have heard Daisy Hill is better particularly the bits closer to the conservation park.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:27 pm
Banned

Are you sure you were in Shailer Park, it doesnt sound like where we live Block size is above average, mostly over 1000sq, ours is 1100. It isn't a big suburb and there are only 2 dodgy 'party people' houses I can think of, generally it's very quiet and the people are just ordinary families. We also overlook the Koala Conservation Park, there is no real demarcation between Daisy Hill and Shailer Park. House prices are actually higher in SP as well.

We did some drive-bys in Shailer Park and thought the block sizes were a bit small and there seemed to be a lot of 'party people' (bogans, basically). Of course, this was only where we looked so I'm sure there are nice bits.

I have heard Daisy Hill is better particularly the bits closer to the conservation park.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people say the same about Shailer Park (Trailer Park, bogans etc). Sometimes areas are generalised about even when the whole area isn't bad. Best to look for yourself.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:42 pm
Mostly Harmless

Are you sure you were in Shailer Park, it doesnt sound like where we live Block size is above average, mostly over 1000sq, ours is 1100. It isn't a big suburb and there are only 2 dodgy 'party people' houses I can think of, generally it's very quiet and the people are just ordinary families. We also overlook the Koala Conservation Park, there is no real demarcation between Daisy Hill and Shailer Park. House prices are actually higher in SP as well.
Yup, that was our assessment at the time. Maybe our budget restricted us to the less desirable properties. We were also looking at acreage so maybe we were just naturally biased towards that kind of environment.

Anyway, the only way of checking it out is to go there yourself and I don't doubt your area is everything you say it is.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:48 pm
Banned

Do they ? Never heard it. Considering house prices are amongst the highest in the area it makes no sense. If you were talking about Loganholme I could understand.

Originally Posted by fish.01
A lot of people say the same about Shailer Park (Trailer Park, bogans etc). Sometimes areas are generalised about even when the whole area isn't bad. Best to look for yourself.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they ? Never heard it. Considering house prices are amongst the highest in the area it makes no sense. If you were talking about Loganholme I could understand.
I guess that's the point. Stereotyping doesn't have to make sense. Because Shailer Park is in Logan close to some dodgy suburbs and rhymes with Trailer Park some Brisbane people think it is choc full of bogans even if they have never driven out there to have a look.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I ... But generally it is calm and the neighbours are friendly (we were filling sandbags with ours yesterday ).
That doesn't sound very friendly

Did they struggle?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:56 am
Banned

Ah yes, I see now. Thankfully we are a few main roads between us and the dodgy suburbs

Originally Posted by fish.01
I guess that's the point. Stereotyping doesn't have to make sense. Because Shailer Park is in Logan close to some dodgy suburbs and rhymes with Trailer Park some Brisbane people think it is choc full of bogans even if they have never driven out there to have a look.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Your comments are interesting, maybe we would look further up then. Its hard. Never had this problem in the uk, I guess it is easier to notice over there or maybe not. The thing about trailer park, people from Brisbane are snobs and turn their nose up at anything south so are happy to put labels on things. People like us on a budget have no choice.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:52 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Grayling
That doesn't sound very friendly

Did they struggle?
Anyone with a liking for loud country music by the pool needs to suffer for a bit

Ah yes, I see now. Thankfully we are a few main roads between us and the dodgy suburbs
In my experience you are only one bad neighbour away from a dodgy suburb.

It's a matter of luck and trying to minimise the risk really.

I am a fan of putting as much space as you can possibly afford between your house and any others. I will happily trade the size of the house for this too.

Ours is very modest (aside from adding a large patio that is about the best thing we have done to it) but it's the land that makes it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.