Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wooden household items - need to be treated?

wooden household items - need to be treated?

Old May 7th 2006, 9:05 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default wooden household items - need to be treated?

Hiya,

Just wondered about this as I have a couple of nice wooden seats and furniture pieces and wanted to know if they have to be treated before shipping or once they get to the "other side". I know some things have to be treated before entering the country - just wondered if household furniture counted??

Cheers,
*pearly*
Old May 7th 2006, 9:14 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wooden household items - need to be treated?

most pieces should be ok - items they watch out for are older items that may have woodworm, or wicker items that can be prone to infestation
Old May 7th 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hiya,

Just wondered about this as I have a couple of nice wooden seats and furniture pieces and wanted to know if they have to be treated before shipping or once they get to the "other side". I know some things have to be treated before entering the country - just wondered if household furniture counted??

Cheers,
*pearly*
Check out www.aqis.gov.au .
The way I read it is, household furniture that's been sealed ,waxed,varnished, lacquered etc. is OK. Look out for wood worm in older pieces, this must be treated. (If I have to use ww killer,I'll make a note of the product and it's batch # as proof of treatment.)
Outdoor garden furniture is considered high risk. This must be cleaned throughly, and treated with an approved product. Most folks wash,reseal with varnish and treat with Jeyes or Virkon S. Cane/wicker items are considered high risk, although some have "got them through" without any dramas.
Try a search there's loads on it. Also Mr Mover-... may/will be able to help
S
Old May 7th 2006, 12:02 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubbyholder
Check out www.aqis.gov.au .
The way I read it is, household furniture that's been sealed ,waxed,varnished, lacquered etc. is OK. Look out for wood worm in older pieces, this must be treated. (If I have to use ww killer,I'll make a note of the product and it's batch # as proof of treatment.)
Outdoor garden furniture is considered high risk. This must be cleaned throughly, and treated with an approved product. Most folks wash,reseal with varnish and treat with Jeyes or Virkon S. Cane/wicker items are considered high risk, although some have "got them through" without any dramas.
Try a search there's loads on it. Also Mr Mover-... may/will be able to help
S
Thanks guys!!!!!!

*pearly* x
Old May 7th 2006, 2:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's also a concern of mine, as we have a dining room suite and bedroom suite to go. Both are new, but made to look older with tool markings and holes to resemble work prints. Wonder if we should bring along the receipts to prove that they are new pieces made from new wood and treated to look old?
Old May 7th 2006, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Originally Posted by dotnron
It's also a concern of mine, as we have a dining room suite and bedroom suite to go. Both are new, but made to look older with tool markings and holes to resemble work prints. Wonder if we should bring along the receipts to prove that they are new pieces made from new wood and treated to look old?
you could photo copy the receipts and attach to the pieces in a poly pocket,for peace of mind. That's what we're doing with the e mail reply we got from AQIS, saying that my wife's artists brushes( wooden handles) and oil paints were ok to bring in.
S