Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wooden furniture

Wooden furniture

Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:44 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default Wooden furniture

We have a dining table made of old reclaimed wood. Shippers say it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure on this site I've read that customs get a bit sniffy about this stuff..
Any advice/ experience of this?
Cheers
Caroline
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:45 am
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wooden furniture

as long as it is treated there will be no problem Tess xx
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:15 am
Caroline

Originally Posted by stutess
as long as it is treated there will be no problem Tess xx
Sorry to be ignorant. Treated with what????? Is this something I can do myself?
Cheers,
Caroline
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Caroline B
Sorry to be ignorant. Treated with what????? Is this something I can do myself?
Cheers,
Caroline
Is it stained or varnished??
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:29 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

hwe have just shipped loads of wood furmiture over from Uk including bamboo and have had no problem...make sure you declare it and that it is clean then you shouldnt have any problems....but saying , it could depend on who is on shift that day at the customs.!! they just dont want any worms etc in the wood.

We have a dining table made of old reclaimed wood. Shippers say it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure on this site I've read that customs get a bit sniffy about this stuff..
Cheers
Caroline
Old Nov 4th 2006, 1:01 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Caroline
if you've bought the table then its probably been treated, untreated wood is in its raw natural state. its all about infestations.

Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:41 pm
Caroline

Originally Posted by possoms
if you've bought the table then its probably been treated, untreated wood is in its raw natural state. its all about infestations.

oh Lord, I got it off eBay, and it's composed of lots of very old wood. No visible worm or anything. Perhaps I should douse it with a good dose of something suitably carcinogenic........
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much about it. We just received our container a couple of weeks ago and we brought our dining room table which is made of reclaimed barnboard. No problems with customs at all.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Check out the AQIS website -

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex...sionID=1902399

We followed the instructions and got all our goods through with no treatments. We bought all our things, wicker furniture, wooden furniture etc. No problems at all. Don't rely on your shippers, they can give misleading information. Friends left wooden and wicker stuff behind, paid for treatment on tables etc. when there was no need.

A bit of research on your part can save money and heartache.
If you are still unsure, you can even email AQIS...

HTH
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njk435
Check out the AQIS website -

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex...sionID=1902399

We followed the instructions and got all our goods through with no treatments. We bought all our things, wicker furniture, wooden furniture etc. No problems at all. Don't rely on your shippers, they can give misleading information. Friends left wooden and wicker stuff behind, paid for treatment on tables etc. when there was no need.

A bit of research on your part can save money and heartache.
If you are still unsure, you can even email AQIS...

HTH
We asked our shippers whether we should clean everything with Pine Sol (Jeyes fluid type stuff) and they just laughed. The only thing I really did a good job of was my golf clubs and bag. And that was simply using some steel wool to get off any grass clippings that may have been on the wheels of the cart. Not a single thing was opened by AQIS here in Adelaide.