Wood furniture

Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

bloodfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wood furniture

Hello, we are thinking of moving to Oz.
We have a lot of solid wood furniture which we are wondering if it will pass through quarenteen. Has anyone else had this problem.
Also I have heard that if it needs to be distroyed you have to pay for it. Could anyone shed any light on this matter please.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wood furniture

I'd be interested in this as I was thinking of taking all my wood furniture, someone said you have to pay to have it sprayed so you dont bring any little stowaways in with it, is this true or would it be better to just buy it all over there?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

i've been told that if its varnished and clean it's ok but natural wood is a no go.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

I've got some natural wood that I would like to keep. I wonder if it would be best to varnish it?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

before you do anything you might regret i would seek further advice.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

yeah all mines natural mexican pine, it wouldnt look the same varnished, maybe I should just sell it here in england and start afresh
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:47 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yanchep
yeah all mines natural mexican pine, it wouldnt look the same varnished, maybe I should just sell it here in england and start afresh
I have just sent an E-mail to the aussie customs asking the same thing. Will let you know what they say.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
I have just sent an E-mail to the aussie customs asking the same thing. Will let you know what they say.
from what they said, your furniture should be fine as it would have had some sort of treatment on the wood. But to extra sure use a clear varnish on your furniture, it would just seal the wood and give it a slight glossy sheen, won't change the colour at all. Varnish they use for boats will be ideal.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Yes it does help.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by bloodfoot
Yes it does help.
Thanks for the advice.
anything else try www.customs.gov.au

guide to prohibited and resticted product on the right hand side of the page.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Would that also apply to the natural pine stuff that argos sells?
It is untreated ready to stain, varnish or paint.
We wanted to keep our untreated

Jackie
xxxxx
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tabbiespice
Would that also apply to the natural pine stuff that argos sells?
It is untreated ready to stain, varnish or paint.
We wanted to keep our untreated

Jackie
xxxxx
use a clear stain if you want to be sure. Look on the web site i posted just to make sure though.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Wood furniture is not a problem. We brought all ours, antique and new, plus cane furniture. Only thing they picked was a very old bar my OH got out of his local pub when it was refurbished. It's all carved etc but there were old bore (worm) holes in it so we had the option to pay for it to be fumigated or pay for it to be destroyed. Needless to say, to keep our piece of british pub history so we can set it up in our games room here, we had it fumigated
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

hi there,

We brought all our wood furniture and it was a lot and it was all the indian Jarrah furniture, all untreated and he was passed no problems. Kids had all pine furniture and that was ok - only thing that didn't get through was a nativity set that had moss on the roof - they destroyed and now Jesus is homeless - again!!!

We just declared it all on the inventory sheet as natural wood furniture.

good luck
Melanie
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:01 am
On Our Way in Nov!

kbdb is an unknown quantity at this point

We have removals firms in last week for a quote and they all said the same. Wood fine, but wicker a no-no. apparently because bugs could live inside the wicker/cane, then crawl out later? as if that's going to happen.

with lots of other wood furniture which is fine. some treated, some not.

KAREN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.