Wood

Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wood

Are wood products like decking boards available in Australia? or is there a ban on imported wood products, we watch TV shows like 'nothing to declare' (love it)
And the whole range of banned items is unbelievable but totally understandable This is why i ask about out door wood products as all of the property we have looked at as no vivble decking to speak of and most if not all fencing looks like metal sidings painted off white.
Thanks.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wood

Originally Posted by deb68
Are wood products like decking boards available in Australia? or is there a ban on imported wood products, we watch TV shows like 'nothing to declare' (love it)
And the whole range of banned items is unbelievable but totally understandable This is why i ask about out door wood products as all of the property we have looked at as no vivble decking to speak of and most if not all fencing looks like metal sidings painted off white.
Thanks.
Australia has lots and lots of these bizarre looking things that jump out of the ground and sometimes grow to a tremendous height. I've forgotten what they are called in the UK, but here we call them.... trees. I think they are made of wood.

Seriously though.. most of the fencing is something called Colourbond from BlueScope Steel. It's much better suited to the Aussie climate than a wooden fence. It doesn't burn or get eaten by termites, both big plus points here.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Wood

Originally Posted by deb68
Are wood products like decking boards available in Australia?
The big one here is Merbau which is made by cutting down the homes of Oran Utans and shipping them from Indonesia to Australia.

I bought Spotted Gum for my deck which is made by cutting down the homes of Koalas.

BB
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The big one here is Merbau which is made by cutting down the homes of Oran Utans and shipping them from Indonesia to Australia.

I bought Spotted Gum for my deck which is made by cutting down the homes of Koalas.

BB
The ubiquitous Merbau comes in 70mm and 90mm x 19mm straight from the factory.
Hard and resilient. It needs oiling because the UV will get it in less than 2 years.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:49 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hard and resilient. It needs oiling
Bit like me....

BB
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The ubiquitous Merbau comes in 70mm and 90mm x 19mm straight from the factory.
Hard and resilient. It needs oiling because the UV will get it in less than 2 years.

Ah, this is all interesting, as I am planning some kind of decking in my back yard, and was going to ask what the best wood for such an endeavor would be.

Any other tips and suggestions?

S
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Ah, this is all interesting, as I am planning some kind of decking in my back yard, and was going to ask what the best wood for such an endeavor would be.

S
Tallowood or ironbark are best, according to the Wood Work Forums, but also very expensive and difficult to work with.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:20 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

S
Anything except wood is probably the best answer. Think about tiles and concrete, tiles ideally.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Timber decking looks great but its a mare to maintain and its expensive compared to concrete and tile, or concrete + applied finish. . . and things like living under it, things you probably wouldn't want living under it.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

S
Have a look at modwood. http://www.modwood.com.au/ Looks like wood but no maintenance. About twice the cost though of a decent hardwood.

BB
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Bit like me....

BB
You're making me queasy <g>.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Tile it is then, thanks