Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wont be sorry to say goodbye to the tax man

Wikiposts

wont be sorry to say goodbye to the tax man

Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:28 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wont be sorry to say goodbye to the tax man

Originally Posted by aston man
the tax credit people fined me£350 for not getting my form back in time.jeez when i am out of here they can kiss my fat brummy asre.

what do you do about the form next year,you would i suppose have to fill it out before you went?else they would be after you for money back they had paid you this year?

to be honest i dont want to do a duck but i would like to ccompletelyturn my back on them and this country,throw all my boxes and boxes of paper away.
can you do this just ddisappearinto the sunset if you have settled everything before you go or not.

to be honest i dont want them having my address,i have nothing to hide but just want a complete new start,once my bbusinessis gone thats it,iI'moff fishing rod in hand.

is this the case or not.with thanks.

astonman
Well, I'm hoping to use my UK tax refund to pay off the last dregs of my student loan. No doubt that useless shower of morons will be on my case again in September. I updated addresses when I left but I bet they havn't updated them properly... Again...

Will cancel the direct debit as soon as they write I think. Don't want them dipping into my frozen bank account whenever they see fit.

And another tax related issue, while we're at it - before I left I sent my car tax disc (with only a month used) off for a refund - well before the end of the month deadline. Received the cheque back this week, and yes you've guessed it - an extra month short! Imagine that!

S
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:13 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

If you use the online version of the Self Assessment Return it should compute any liability for you. So long as you make any required payment re 2005/06 by 31 January 2007 (and I believe payments can now be made using debit and credit cards) you shouldn't have a late filing penalty in respect of the 2006 Return.

Alternatively you could instruct an accountant who can prepare and the lodge the Tax Return for you ... if you need some help feel able to contact me on 03 8530 7030.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by OzSheila
What do you do if you can't get them to send you a tax return? Have twice rung them in the UK and still haven't received one. Have registered for filing one online and am now awaiting my registration details thru the post. Time is running out and unfortunately I owe them........
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
What do you do if you can't get them to send you a tax return? Have twice rung them in the UK and still haven't received one. Have registered for filing one online and am now awaiting my registration details thru the post. Time is running out and unfortunately I owe them........
They send a lot of their overseas letters via some sort of bulk mailing facility in Sweden - presumably it saves them the odd groat - and in my experience can mean long delays in them getting to you.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Alan Collett]If you use the online version of the Self Assessment Return it should compute any liability for you. So long as you make any required payment re 2005/06 by 31 January 2007 (and I believe payments can now be made using debit and credit cards) you shouldn't have a late filing penalty in respect of the 2006 Return.
Yes, I think this is what I will have to do. It's just that when you have returns to do for both UK and Oz would prefer to get these ones out of the way...
Alternatively you could instruct an accountant who can prepare and the lodge the Tax Return for you ... if you need some help feel able to contact me on 03 8530 7030.
Thanks for the offer but I am an Accountant.......

OzSheila
Old Sep 10th 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Whoever set up the UK Government Gateway needs to be shot.

A workmate of mine worked on the ATO system and then moved to the UK and then worked on the UK Gov Gateway/IR.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shorrock
A workmate of mine worked on the ATO system and then moved to the UK and then worked on the UK Gov Gateway/IR.
So is he the one that should be shot?

(Hopefully this will be the last year the IR will hassle me for tax-returns, and I'll not have to deal with their stupid system again. Hurrah!)

Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So is he the one that should be shot?

Or is that a she????
Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Or is that a she????
I was using the non-gender specific definition