Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wol's house build - update.

Wol's house build - update.

Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wol's house build - update.

Absolutely pouring down at present: luckily the roof is now mostly in place although in the great Australian tradition the ridge tiles have been left half finished so no doubt there will be lakes inside tomorrow!

The electrical fit is going in: the delay *there* may be because some of the ex-China outlet socket boxes are held up in quarantine, would you believe..... It would be nice to have windows, too! It was the China connection that delayed that part of the work, too.

Water should be connected next week, and as soon as the tank is installed I can get quotes for putting in the bore pump to fill it. Then more quotes for the landscape irrigation, driveway and grass laying.

We decided to plant up the rear garden, which is clear of the building work, before occupation so that will be part of the workload out of the way. Most of the garden is planned to be natives - the BASIX certificate insists on this but we were going to be all-natives anyway. So we've pickaxed something like 150 holes in the granite-like ground and planted them out over the past four months. I'm knackered! But the first plantings have thrived beyond belief, and already have populations of blue wrens, parrots etc.

Original quoted completion was 1st June - still on course for then.
Attached Thumbnails Wol's house build - update.-scaffolding-down-13.jpg  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Wol's house build - update.

Will the brick be rendered at some point?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:16 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wol's house build - update.

Originally Posted by Wol
Absolutely pouring down at present: luckily the roof is now mostly in place although in the great Australian tradition the ridge tiles have been left half finished so no doubt there will be lakes inside tomorrow!

The electrical fit is going in: the delay *there* may be because some of the ex-China outlet socket boxes are held up in quarantine, would you believe..... It would be nice to have windows, too! It was the China connection that delayed that part of the work, too.

Water should be connected next week, and as soon as the tank is installed I can get quotes for putting in the bore pump to fill it. Then more quotes for the landscape irrigation, driveway and grass laying.

We decided to plant up the rear garden, which is clear of the building work, before occupation so that will be part of the workload out of the way. Most of the garden is planned to be natives - the BASIX certificate insists on this but we were going to be all-natives anyway. So we've pickaxed something like 150 holes in the granite-like ground and planted them out over the past four months. I'm knackered! But the first plantings have thrived beyond belief, and already have populations of blue wrens, parrots etc.

Original quoted completion was 1st June - still on course for then.
Its looking good mate. I like the entrance with the symetrical windows either side.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

That's Mrs wol: she has a thing about symmetry!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:24 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
That's Mrs wol: she has a thing about symmetry!
We are building our house with a view to being able to split it in the future so we can rent the front out when family leave home. Therefore everything will be symetrical.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:55 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great, Wol. I'd like to see the garden....
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Looking good. Care to share some more pics?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:06 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
D'you know, I looked through my pictures and couldn't find any of our plantings - either I have deleted them by mistake or they have emigrated to another part of my HD!

Will take some more when the sun reappears!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

It looks lovely.....really envious
Good luck with the rest of it !!