Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wol's house build - another update

Wol's house build - another update

Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:51 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wol's house build - another update

Everyone came back from their Christmas break on Monday and it's really cracking on now!

The latest part of the saga: we had chosen the windows, tiles, bricks, paint, garage doors etc all to co-ordinate colour-wise. The roof tiles were ordered and put aside at the supplier. They were to be delivered this week but as they were being loaded the truck driver found that of the 7700 required only 7300 could be found! The computer said there were 15000 on inventory....

And the Marketing department (don't you just love Marketing - they exist only to change what is working well....) have ended production of that model of tile in the last few weeks. It is, incidentally, one of the biggest sellers in the NSW area.

So this week has been spent rushing hither and thither trying to find a new tile which won't look too out of place with all the other components of the house.

Should be watertight in the next fortnight. A bit irrelevant since there ain't no rain!
Attached Thumbnails Wol's house build - another update-brickwork-12.jpg   Wol's house build - another update-trusses-4.jpg  
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:02 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wol's house build - another update

Originally Posted by Wol
Everyone came back from their Christmas break on Monday and it's really cracking on now!

The latest part of the saga: we had chosen the windows, tiles, bricks, paint, garage doors etc all to co-ordinate colour-wise. The roof tiles were ordered and put aside at the supplier. They were to be delivered this week but as they were being loaded the truck driver found that of the 7700 required only 7300 could be found! The computer said there were 15000 on inventory....

And the Marketing department (don't you just love Marketing - they exist only to change what is working well....) have ended production of that model of tile in the last few weeks. It is, incidentally, one of the biggest sellers in the NSW area.

So this week has been spent rushing hither and thither trying to find a new tile which won't look too out of place with all the other components of the house.

Should be watertight in the next fortnight. A bit irrelevant since there ain't no rain!
looking fantastic mate keep the piccies coming
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:11 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Are you going Owner Builder or through a building company?

Were just about to start our house as an Owner Builder and it's a bit daunting...cant believe I got talked into it by OH!

Sasha
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snappy

Were just about to start our house as an Owner Builder and it's a bit daunting...cant believe I got talked into it by OH!

Sasha
We've done quite a bit of building-type jobs as DIY in the past (We've taken on three houses as shells and fitted out the plumbing, electrics, stairs, brickwork etc) but have never got around to a complete self-build, much as we would have liked to. Now that we're getting on a bit we haven't got the energy any more - we'd probably be under the footings by the time the place was finished <g>.

However, we *are* very hands-on and are fortunate enough to have been recommended our builder who is the same. We have a very good relationship going (I know, I know - until the first court case!)

You are young enough at 34 to be in a position to be an owner-builder. You will be able to do quite a few of the labour-intensive things yourself to your own standards and usually owner-builders set higher standards especially for finish than tradesmen. That's not a complete reflection on the latter but they do have to finish things quickly to earn their wages - your time is what you make of it.

I would say go for it - but take a lot of time getting positive referrals, make sure what you contract is what you get and most important - be on site 25/7! We have had some horrendous cockups and generally poor standards from the people who designed and installed the suspended concrete flooring - from a cantilevered unsupported beam to many unsupported 6metre + bearers to cracked prestressed beams to... well, you get the picture. There must have been some 20 or 30 quite critical things wrong - all of which I picked up just from common sense. It's not rocket science.

We designed our own house so all design mistakes are ours alone! You don't *need* an architect to faff around for months - if you know what you like then sketch it out, make a few polystyrene models and give it to a draftsman to bring up to a planning drawing standard.

It's worthwhile drawing up a "Scope of Works" document before quoting stage. Detail under "Brickwork", "Roofing", "Insulation", "Plumbing" etc exactly what you want quoted for. For example, mine listed the exact make and R Value of roof sarking, wall wrapping, external insulation batts, ceiling insulation, hot and cold water pipe wraps, floor insulation and internal wall acoustic insulation batts. You have to draw the line at some point but the more you can lay down the better, and a clause saying that any unspecified materials should be to the same general standard as those detailed should make it clear.

Building methods *are* different in Australia: not necessarily worse but different, so you do have to get used to holding back a bit just because things are not being done the way you would like!

PS - Edited - As an owner-builder you have to accept responsibility for anything that goes wrong: a Pom car manager near here is in process of building himself and over the Christmas break a strong wind brought down about half of his roof trusses which were in place but not really braced properly. There's a lot of matchwood to be sorted through in several "rooms" to see which assemblies are which, if any can be salvaged and which are firewood!

Last edited by Wol; Jan 11th 2007 at 3:00 am.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:58 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snappy

Sasha
We are just about at lock up for our house we are owner building. It is alot of work, but I think worth it in the end....
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
We are just about at lock up for our house we are owner building. It is alot of work, but I think worth it in the end....
I'm sure it is, and will be well worthwhile when you can eventually sit down and relax in your own place, built (roughly) the way you want it!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:21 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm sure it is, and will be well worthwhile when you can eventually sit down and relax in your own place, built (roughly) the way you want it!
Looking good wol. Is that a steel frame or timber?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
Looking good wol. Is that a steel frame or timber?
TIMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:25 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
TIMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 3:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
We did start off specifying all steel framing and timber roof trusses but were told it couldn't be done. Strange, since we had that system in Florida!

Then we were told that if we *did* do it that way, the roof would make a hell of a noise as it expanded and contracted. Strange, since it didn't in Florida!

But then in Australia they were not used to half-decent ceiling and roof insulation, which they are elsewhere. By this time - as Arkon would relate to - we'd gone the easy way and just taken what they are used to!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:13 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Wol and Hels for the reply

We are in the situation where hubbie works for a construction company and we have int he past done massive renovations i.e. ripped down walls, installed under floor heating, wiring, hot water systems, windows, doors, kitchens, bathrooms etc etc etc so we're not shy of a bit of work and hubbie LOVES it!

Hubbie has been sussing out various tradesmen that he wanted to work on our house but heaps of them left at Christmas hence the change of heart to go owner builder so we could choose who worked on our house instead of some apprentice who would cost us money.

We have just about got the plans finished now and it is our own design although the architect is very knowledgable and as my Dad is also an architect we have had them given the nod of approval from him as well....although his taste and mine are totally different!

I'm at the stage now where we have to borrow 50% of the money to build and have now chosen the bank to go with but we have a massive long list of costings to go through which is the very daunting part as I just haven't got a clue where to start. I'm kind of going through yellow pages to find manufacturers to get samples and brochures sent to us although like I said the tradesmen side of things will hopefully be straight forward.

Hels - Did you just just go along with your plans to the tradesmen and they priced materials up for you or did you work it all out yourself?

Starting to feel as though we have bitten more off than we can chew although Hubbie is over the moon so i'm kind of being dragged along for the fun of it

Sasha
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:25 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
we are looking at building our next house owner builder. did you have any problems getting a mortgage for it thru the bank. out mortgage is currently through the commonwealth and we did not get a positive response although we will have a fair bit of equity. im a sparky and plan do most of the work work myself.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
we are looking at building our next house owner builder. did you have any problems getting a mortgage for it thru the bank. out mortgage is currently through the commonwealth and we did not get a positive response although we will have a fair bit of equity. im a sparky and plan do most of the work work myself.
I know a bloke who does air-con....
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:07 am
I need a beer.....

Originally Posted by youngy73
We're with the CWB as well but are going to the Bendigo Bank. The manager checked with the regional manager who confirmed they would offer use a home loan as an owner building. Like I said though we are putting down 50% i.e. land bought and paid for and cash. They offered a better deal (maybe not the best out there but we were more than happy with it)

Sasha