Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wireless Routers - Broadband does it work in Oz?

Wireless Routers - Broadband does it work in Oz?

Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Navis is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Routers - Broadband does it work in Oz?

Hi All

Any one know if UK wireless routers will work in Australia?

I have a netgear firewall router and laptop cards and want to know if I need to sell them or can I take them with me?

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:15 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wireless Routers - Broadband does it work in Oz?

Originally Posted by Navis
Hi All

I have a netgear firewall router and laptop cards and want to know if I need to sell them or can I take them with me?

Thanks
well the wireless side and cards should work, it's whether the router is suitable for the lines here i would guess
maybe have a look for your make and model somewhere like on the www.whirlpool.net.au forums to see if anyone uses it here?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:25 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You might also have to switch login to PPPoE instead of PPPoA, so check if your modem supports it.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We're in Sydney and have found broadband to be years behind the UK. OH uses his wireless router that we brought from the UK (remember, it's pronounced like rOWter here, never rOOter ), he brought the one we bought here back to the shop as it was so crap.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:58 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks
using my uk bought linksys wrt54gs as we speak
worked straight out of the box,
when we finally got broadband that is
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hi All

Thanks
Its not the routers that don't work , its the blu......... broardband.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I had to buy a new one as I had cable in the UK and here I have ADSL.

Buzzy
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:55 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
We're in Sydney and have found broadband to be years behind the UK. OH uses his wireless router that we brought from the UK (remember, it's pronounced like rOWter here, never rOOter ), he brought the one we bought here back to the shop as it was so crap.
24mb broadband where I am. Lightening fast, bit pricier than UK but not 'years behind'. Where abouts are you?

As for router, yes ours worked straight out of the box.

Graham
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Hi All

Thanks
I've got a netgear wireless modem/router and it works just fine. Still using my usb wireless adapter with it.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I had to buy a new one as I had cable in the UK and here I have ADSL.

Buzzy
Mine's a cable one too, so guess I'll have to invest in a new one. Do you mind me asking how much it was?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Navis is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the great replies everyone really useful think I will take it out then better the devil you know eh?

Northerner can I ask who you use as your provider I am moving to Sydney soon and have been looking around at providers, thanks.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:59 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks
whats a wireless router?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

I have a VT voyager wireless router but Will the lead be able to plug into the socket in Aus (its a small telephone plug)????
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:48 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

i have a zoom router anyone know if it will work?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:10 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Northerner can I ask who you use as your provider I am moving to Sydney soon and have been looking around at providers, thanks.
We're with www.tpg.com.au/.

Was a bit of a ball ache to set up to be honest (speaking to some call centre in Bangladesh - confusion over account as someone who'd lived in our house previously had obviously used TPG) but up and running quickly - downloads at 2mb/sec sometimes

Good stuff,

Cheers,

Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.