Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Winter in Melbourne!!!

Winter in Melbourne!!!

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter in Melbourne!!!

Originally Posted by The Crow
Just down the Bay - you've got Mordialloc, then Aspendale, Edithvale then Chelsea. A great spot - very shallow & clear (unless windy) sea, fantastic for younger children.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mordialloc!

We move there tomorrow!!!

Buzzy
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mordialloc!

We move there tomorrow!!!

Buzzy
Good luck with the move - I'm sure you love it there, especially with the warmer weather round the corner. I really wanted a rental there, when we first came over, but there was nothing around. I still haven't explored Mordy's bars & cafes - I see a few day trips coming on!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1789247.htm

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...81-661,00.html

Snowed in a few areas but seeing how I have to prove it links above to one area!
You do realise the first link describes a hail storm (which affected a couple of suburbs in the hills) and that the second link describes snow on mountains several hours away from Melbourne?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Bunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really niceBunna_Wabbit is just really nice
Default Re: Winter in Melbourne!!! - Housing design

Originally Posted by 65 million
Try also to appreciate that the Melbourne area experiences some pretty extreme weather. In summer it can reach 40+ degrees and go as low as 5 degrees in winter.
Most houses are single brick, and for a good reason. Its all to do with "Thermal mass", basically bricks absorb heat during the day and expell the heat during the night. If you had a double brick house, the temperature inside would be unbareable during the hot summer nights as the walls would literally radiate more heat into the rooms than a single brick vaneer house does.
....I agree, it certainly is extreme - I used to walk to Sandrigham Station and get the train to work from there. The problem was I needed to wear a short sleve shirt but also carry a jumper or coat AND umbrellea for the trip home (just in case) 4 seasons in one day - oh so true ! As for brick houses, ours was double brick and not particularly hot in summer but bloody cold in winter when it was often around 5c outside. http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086282.shtml - Not as we say in Brissy, beautiful one day, perfect the next !
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter in Melbourne!!! - Housing design

but bloody cold in winter when it was often around 5c outside.

I don't recall many days if any that have been 5c during the day, at night of course the temp drops.

This year has been quite a cold one and it still manages to get up to 12c or more. Of course these are not Qld temps but at least we have real seasons and not that constant humidity, I find that more draining than the heat.