Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wine (not Whine)

Wine (not Whine)

Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wine (not Whine)

We have been trying to find some white wines that we like and are struggling a bit. First off, we love the reds; Merlot, Shiraz, CabSauv, etc. Fantastic. Trouble is that in the hot weather you really want something cold.

In the UK we drank a lot of Chablis and Frascati. Really dry white wines, not overly scented and NOT OAKED (which seems to rule out most of the shelves in Liquor Land)

The closest we have come has been the Classic Drys. Our current favourite is Madfish (Margaret River?). Its close to what we are after, but not quite. Have tried most of the unoaked Semillons and blends

Any wine connoisseurs out there with any advice?
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:06 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wine (not Whine)

Originally posted by dracupg
any advice?
Give it up - it's bad for you!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:08 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Nah, but I do know a bit about tramp champagne though....
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:08 am
Merlot

Default See my User name for first class choice

I believe the NSW Hunter does the best reds as the conditions are perfect for the grapes!

Merlot

Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:10 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

No connoisseur but have you tried out the unwooded chardonnays, so much better than the wooded ones. Also the Amberley Estate Margaret River Chenin Blanc is very good at around $15-16 but is often discounted to $12.

I like the Goundrey Unwooded Chard - again often discounted from $15 to $10
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:10 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

i love ozzie reds and love nz whites...

theres a great nz white - cant remember the name but if i remember ill let you know
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: See my User name for first class choice

Originally posted by Merlot
I believe the NSW Hunter does the best reds as the conditions are perfect for the grapes!

Merlot
Yes, but I am happy with the reds. Its the whites I am having the problem with.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:11 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

Verse 1 from margaret river (WA) is great and also Vasse Felix
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:14 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: See my User name for first class choice

Yes, but I am happy with the reds. Its the whites I am having the problem with.
I hear the Yellowtail Chard is supposed to be good but haven't tried it yet, goind down a storm in the US apparently
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:14 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Try here:
http://www.rncas.org.au/WineShow/Res...20Trophies.htm
Failing that, place clothes peg on nose and drink keiser stuhl 5L cask, it tastes like vinegar but @ $22 for 10L it onlyburns a hole in your liver and not your pockets !!

Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:16 am
Karma Comedian

For a decent cask try Banrock Station Semillon Chardonnay at about $16 for 2 litres...
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:19 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

ive remembered - Stoneleigh from NZ
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:20 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
For a decent cask try Banrock Station Semillon Chardonnay at about $16 for 2 litres...
Aye, bloody luxury LOL
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:40 am
ABCDiamond

We have been trying to find some white wines that we like and are struggling a bit. First off, we love the reds; Merlot, Shiraz, CabSauv, etc. Fantastic. Trouble is that in the hot weather you really want something cold.

In the UK we drank a lot of Chablis and Frascati. Really dry white wines, not overly scented and NOT OAKED (which seems to rule out most of the shelves in Liquor Land)

The closest we have come has been the Classic Drys. Our current favourite is Madfish (Margaret River?). Its close to what we are after, but not quite. Have tried most of the unoaked Semillons and blends

Now this thread caught my attention

Not that I am a great wine connoisseur or anything, at least not now that I have lost my taste buds !

Wolf Blass have some really nice whites.

I've even found some very drinkable budget priced wines :
Matthew Lang Chardonnay
Lindemans Cawarra 2002
Queen Adelaide Chardonnay 2002
all very drinkable, not in the same class as some of the Wolf Blass, but an easy drinking wine at around $6 a bottle by the case.

I'm planning on going on a wine tasting at Sirromet Winery (10 minutes from me) soon, so if I drink anything interesting, i'll let you know.

Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I also like the Queen Adelaide chardonnay, but my all time fave is one we got in NZ from a small little vineyard at Matakana called Hyperion....they do the best Pinos Gris i ever had!! i doubt you could get it in Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.