The Wine

Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice
Default The Wine

When we had our initial consultation with the agent, she spoke about the Australian wines and the masses of vineyards over there. She also said that unfortunately over here in the UK we don't actually get the best wines from Oz.

And so to those of you already over there, how have you found the availability and selection of wines, and cost? Also, just out of curiosity, have you found that your wine intake has increased, decreased or stayed about the same !
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:16 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Wine

I am expecting my wine intake to increase as I will be able to get hold of some wine which I can't find easily or at all here in the UK...
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Hi...

Your post immediately caught my eye...can't think why?!?!

We have been in Perth for 8 weeks now and have sampled a fair selection of WA wines (white mainly at the moment). On past trips to Australia we have visited Vine yards in NSW, Vic, SA, and WA and have consistently found it true that the Aussies keep a lot of their best wines for their own consumption, although the same can be said about the French too. For example Orlando vineyard is the producer of Jacob's Creek which is one of the best selling wines in the UK (as I am sure everyone is aware) however it is the bottom of their list, and much like with Fosters beer nearly 100% of what is produced is exported (mainly to the UK in both cases!).

On the price front it seems a little bit cheaper generally although prices do not seem as low relatively as they did when we were last here 5 years ago.

And to the million dollar question....

"have you found that your wine intake has increased, decreased or stayed about the same !"

Stayed about the same...but then that was already fairly high to help us cope with being run ragged by our two young children!!

All the best

Paul
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

I must say I often (not as often as I'd like) drink Banrock Station. Love that one !!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:27 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I like that one too, in fact got a bottle of it in the wine rack which I'm saving for next weekend!

For red wine I love Woolpunda - it's not as dry as some reds and really fruity. They had it on special in Morrisons / Safeway about a month ago.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:35 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Hi...

Your post immediately caught my eye...can't think why?!?!

We have been in Perth for 8 weeks now and have sampled a fair selection of WA wines (white mainly at the moment). On past trips to Australia we have visited Vine yards in NSW, Vic, SA, and WA and have consistently found it true that the Aussies keep a lot of their best wines for their own consumption, although the same can be said about the French too. For example Orlando vineyard is the producer of Jacob's Creek which is one of the best selling wines in the UK (as I am sure everyone is aware) however it is the bottom of their list, and much like with Fosters beer nearly 100% of what is produced is exported (mainly to the UK in both cases!).

On the price front it seems a little bit cheaper generally although prices do not seem as low relatively as they did when we were last here 5 years ago.

And to the million dollar question....

"have you found that your wine intake has increased, decreased or stayed about the same !"

Stayed about the same...but then that was already fairly high to help us cope with being run ragged by our two young children!!

All the best

Paul
we made up a case at Majestic this weekend including 2 whites and 2 reds from WA (Margaret River area - Houghton and Ironstone). For research purposes only you understand
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

There's obviously not many wine drinkers on this web site !?*!?

I did expect a few more replies....
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:57 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by hooperhome
There's obviously not many wine drinkers on this web site !?*!?

I did expect a few more replies....
Used to live an hours drive from the Hunter Valley and I love the Pepper Tree wines, can only get them there of course

I found that I used to drink red wine by the gallon in Oz, not much white, since my UK return the opposite. I find even the Ozzie reds are just not quite as palatable over in the UK?

Mad on cheap German muck now, £1.99 Aldi special Hock, LOL!!!

M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

So, by the sounds of it, the Australians really do save the better wines for themselves.

I'm looking forward to arriving in Oz to try all the others !
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by hooperhome
So, by the sounds of it, the Australians really do save the better wines for themselves.

I'm looking forward to arriving in Oz to try all the others !
I think they do, which is great as when mad cow went bonkers in the UK the cost of buying steaks in Oz flew through the roof and they exported the best stuff. Of course if you are vegetarian this was no loss.

Long live Ozzie plonk!

M