Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Windy day at the CFA

Windy day at the CFA

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:16 pm
Badge

Default Windy day at the CFA

What a busy night we had that windy night - seemed to coincide with the hurricane in Lousianna.

I went straight to the fire station when I came back from work to find all the appliances in. My wife had been at home in the darkness listening to the blokes out and about on jobs on our listening set so I thought they were all out.

I was about to turn for home when my pager went off and everyone started arriving in seconds. as first there, I opened all the doors and got on the tanker in the crew leader's seat with a driver. Shotgun is always crew leader!! Radio Op. They like Poms on the radio at VICFIRE

We'd been turned out to a downed power line, fixed it up, secured and marked the area for the power co, then got another job in my road so had time to SMS the Chief of Staff from the back. One of my neighbours turned out to this one.

A few hours later we were all sitting around in easy chairs at the station enjoying a wet, we looked like Battle of Britain pilots waiting for a scramble. All we needed was a black dog.The captain took a call on his mobile and jumped up and said
"We're off boys! We've got another one" .

I got back in the tanker with a driver again. As a local had called the job in I had to tell VICFIRE - a 'fire call' so got on the radio in my best plummy accent. It was a tree blocking the road so we had to get the chain saw out and establish traffic control.

I got home and my wife had heard it all on the listening set. She loves hearing me on the net. lol.

5 callouts in 12 hours!

Badge

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:19 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windy day at the CFA

Nice one
Whats the physicals for the CFA like?
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:22 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
What a busy night we had that windy night - seemed to coincide with the hurricane in Lousianna.

I went straight to the fire station when I came back from work to find all the appliances in. My wife had been at home in the darkness listening to the blokes out and about on jobs on our listening set so I thought they were all out.

I was about to turn for home when my pager went off and everyone started arriving in seconds. as first there, I opened all the doors and got on the tanker in the crew leader's seat with a driver. Shotgun is always crew leader!! Radio Op. They like Poms on the radio at VICFIRE

We'd been turned out to a downed power line, fixed it up, secured and marked the area for the power co, then got another job in my road so had time to SMS the Chief of Staff from the back. One of my neighbours turned out to this one.

A few hours later we were all sitting around in easy chairs at the station enjoying a wet, we looked like Battle of Britain pilots waiting for a scramble. All we needed was a black dog.The captain took a call on his mobile and jumped up and said
"We're off boys! We've got another one" .

I got back in the tanker with a driver again. As a local had called the job in I had to tell VICFIRE - a 'fire call' so got on the radio in my best plummy accent. It was a tree blocking the road so we had to get the chain saw out and establish traffic control.

I got home and my wife had heard it all on the listening set. She loves hearing me on the net. lol.

5 callouts in 12 hours!

Badge
LOL

Brill read thanks have a rest and a drink
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:36 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by seang
Nice one
Whats the physicals for the CFA like?
For volunteers there aren't any, I asked aboout them when I turned up and they all laughed. The Captain considers me to be one of the fittest blokes in the brigade. Attitude and aptitude are more important.

The days of firemans carries are gone- now you take an arm and a leg and draf them out. The Breathing apparatus ways a ton. You need aerobic fitness for carrying lines up hills - which I did back in the summer at a house fire.

We have 1 60 old woman who is a radio operator.

The permies do serious physical tests - more than I realised and they are very specific.

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The volunteer firies - CFA, RFS or whichever, do a fantastic job, as do the SES. Lets hope your flurry of activity isn't the start of a busy season, Badge.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Miked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the rough

What an extraordinary person you are "Badge" after a busy day at work you spend your time off doing work for the good of the community through the CFA.
I am inspired to join up and get stuck in myself after reading your post. It is nice to know there are people like you out there to turn up when others are sound asleep in bed or busy with the children.
Does the CFA or similar have a branch in Brisbane?
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:28 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Miked
What an extraordinary person you are "Badge" after a busy day at work you spend your time off doing work for the good of the community through the CFA.
I am inspired to join up and get stuck in myself after reading your post. It is nice to know there are people like you out there to turn up when others are sound asleep in bed or busy with the children.
Does the CFA or similar have a branch in Brisbane?
Pollyanna would know - its proabably QlD Rural Fire service?

A few months ago, we were shaping up for a EL Nino event this summer but the risk has reduced significantly with the winter rain. I think it may be hotter this year in Melly than in previous years gone by - I've been told that Melly hasn't had a summer for 2 years...its warm enough for most Brits.