Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wilston/Grange- Brisbane

Wilston/Grange- Brisbane

Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

uk to brisbane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wilston/Grange- Brisbane

Anyone live, know about Wilston/Grange area of Brisbane. What is good, not so good about it.

All replies much appreciated

jon
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:28 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wilston/Grange- Brisbane

I live in Grange, but right on the border with Wilston. Wilston state school is opposite my house.

I like it because I can walk to Wilston, which has a group of eateries and takeaways.

I bought a 3 bed house with a decent sized garage and garden.

Personally, the two above are very important to me, so Grange fits the bill.

It's close to both Wilston and Newmarket train stations to get into and back from the city.

In the rush hour, it takes me about 30 minutes to drive to work (Milton). When the kids are off school, it takes me about 10 minutes.

Newmarket and Stafford are close buy, and have shops and supermarkets, with Stafford having a small mall, movie theatre and there is a DYI store (rennovating a 1920's Queenslander, so it's needed).

It's close enough to Chermside, which I think is the biggest shopping mall on the north side. Can get to the airport in about 15 minutes when there is no traffic. With the infamous roundabout just off the motorway, it never takes than short a time (I travel for work).

Grange itself is pretty quiet, there isn't much going on, a few shops, petrol stations, eateries. An excellent bakery on my road.

Crows (Ravens?) are a pain in the bum with their squawking, but you get used to them.

Closest pub is the Stafford, just about walkable. Good food, but expensive.
There is the local Leagues Club, the Crushers. Good for a cheap way to eat and/or get pissed, but it's not exactly a kicking place.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:34 am
Just Joined

uk to brisbane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wilston/Grange- Brisbane

Many thanks for that info. really useful
jon