Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Williamstown, Melb your opinions please!!

Williamstown, Melb your opinions please!!

Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road
Default Williamstown, Melb your opinions please!!

Williamstown is on our short list, the house prices ( renting ) look favourable ... but does this mean there is a down side? Has anyone any experience of the area. We are a young(ish) family so we would also be considering the schools in the area.

...........thank you!!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

loubieloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Williamstown, Melb your opinions please!!

Hi,
I don't live in melb yet but have been to visit my parents who live in sunbury ( and going back in sept !! ) Williamstown is my favorite place in the world, Short drive into the cbd, enough shops to keep you going and a fantastic small beach where I could spend the rest of my days, no beach front shops just one small cafe at the end of the beach. The science works is a great day out.
The only down side is that in places it is run down and I guess teenagers would struggle for things to do. My children loved it, but at 7 , 5 & 1 at the time the beach was enough.

Not much info but a starting point! hth
Louise
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Given I live in teh SE suburbs of Melbourne I cvan't claim to be a total expert on Williamstown, aside from stating that it is considered quite a desirable area nowadays as is continues to gentrify from its working class origins. It has tram and train services into the CBD. When considering driving into the CBD you should remember you are tying yourself to the use of the Westgate Bridge so think about your potential rush hour commute if you are heading CBD and eastwards at all by car.

Neil
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Williamstown is a nice burb- lots of period films are made there as it has a fair number of historical buildings (for Melbourne that is!).
Lots of nice restaurants, good shopping area, nice atmosphere.

Pretty expensive to buy, but renting seems better.
No trams to the city. There is a shuttle train which stops at Newport and links into the Newport train which goes to city (both via the loop and just to Southern Cross).
Driving is only about 10kms to the city and fab out of rush hour. In rush hour it can be a nightmare, and it can be fine. Joining the freeway at Willy road cuts lots of the queuing probs on the Westgate freeway. I have to do this every morning to drop my little girl at childcare in South Melbourne.
We live in Newport (next burb) and we like it here.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Used to live in Altona,next 'burb along from Williamstown, lovely place, some nice places to eat, beach is nice, has two secondary schools, one good, one not quite as good. Not sure about primary schools, though it not that far into Altona or Altona North which both have some good primary schools
Good transport links as previosuly mentioned. Only real downside is it's expensive to buy houses there.

Maria
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:32 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

We lived there for a year, and enjoyed it while we were there - apart from one thing...Nelson Place - the road that runs alondside the park and Marina...and the main cafe area is HEAVING with tourists on a weekend...and rather quiet midweek - We now live in Elsternwick, and find it friendlier - but maybe thats just us.

Have no children - so can't say anything about schools

Otherwise, take on board what Pomster and Sean and Helena have said....Pomster at least still being in the area.