Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will you like NZ or not: Share your thoughts

Will you like NZ or not: Share your thoughts

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Will you like NZ or not: Share your thoughts

Yes its another thread for all those interested in New Zealand. Like others I feel that sometimes New Zealand is over looked and this area is too foucsed on Australia. I believe there will be a poll soon asking everyone on thier thoughts on whether Australia and New Zealand should be seperated, so make your thoughts and feelings known.

Getting onto the reason I have started this thread, I would like to hear from everyone who lives in New Zealand, or is in the process of moving or is still trying to make there mind up on whether they should make this big change to their lives.

I am married with two young children and am looking at moving out to NZ soon. I have recently been made redunent and will finish work in August. The package I will get is ok and this provides a great opportunity to make the move and live a dream we have had for over 10 years.

I would like to hear all the good and bad bits, the horror stories and from those who have been through the bad times and now made it to the other end.
Is it what you thought?
Would you recommend migrating?
What advice would you give to those starting out?

Please take the time to reply with all of your thoughts. It really helps.

Looking forward to loads of replies

PF
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will you like NZ or not: Share your thoughts

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
Yes its another thread for all those interested in New Zealand. Like others I feel that sometimes New Zealand is over looked and this area is too foucsed on Australia. I believe there will be a poll soon asking everyone on thier thoughts on whether Australia and New Zealand should be seperated, so make your thoughts and feelings known.

Getting onto the reason I have started this thread, I would like to hear from everyone who lives in New Zealand, or is in the process of moving or is still trying to make there mind up on whether they should make this big change to their lives.

I am married with two young children and am looking at moving out to NZ soon. I have recently been made redunent and will finish work in August. The package I will get is ok and this provides a great opportunity to make the move and live a dream we have had for over 10 years.

I would like to hear all the good and bad bits, the horror stories and from those who have been through the bad times and now made it to the other end.
Is it what you thought?

PF
I lived in NZ for a bit a few years back and know a few others who do.
What trade you in?
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

I am an e-commerce manager for online shopping. Its on the ITANZ list, although that doesnt mean aoutomatic entry as I am quickly learning.

My wife is a nursery nurse and we have been advised that we can get a visa on her role and quals and experiance, so that my speed things up

PF
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ bound myself, and agree would be better if OZ/NZ threads were separated, I spend too much time going through posts I'm not interested in

I also wouldn't mind a new tag called perhaps "Destination" to be displayed in the Author column of each post, so we know where people are emigrating to.

A few useful links may help you...

http://www.emigratenz.org/index.html

http://www.vnz.co.nz
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the links

email the website adminsistrator in the contact us section and let your views on the format of the site known.

Although some of the Aus stuff is interesting and partly relevant, I feel it would be better to split them

PF
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I am an e-commerce manager for online shopping. Its on the ITANZ list, although that doesnt mean aoutomatic entry as I am quickly learning.

My wife is a nursery nurse and we have been advised that we can get a visa on her role and quals and experiance, so that my speed things up

PF
NZ IT job hunting pretty hard going. Only chance is Auck. The skills lists are not worth the paper they are written on - there is too much of a lag. Ask unemployed ITers there and in Oz. Sorry, it is not good news.

You may have to go into IT support and will be very lucky to get that within less than say 6 months. You will not be looked at for admin, they prefer women in NZ and Oz for that (A friend found to their cost). You could try retail in the mean time (Dick Smith Electronics?) but this wil be painful for a professional man like yourself if you get stuck there. Do they still have Dixons in the UK? It is like that.
Emigration is a humbling experience.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the links

email the website adminsistrator in the contact us section and let your views on the format of the site known.

Although some of the Aus stuff is interesting and partly relevant, I feel it would be better to split them

PF
email sent to administrator

Have you thought of getting skilled up after your redundancy in Aug. Get a recognised industry certificate to back up your work experience. Just a thought HTH.

I'm in IT myself, and will be getting Microsoft certification soon, it's helped me in the past get work, its bloody hard work but I'm convinced it helps "qualify" your work experience and puts your CV on the top of the pile

I personally want to go to CChurch, but I don't think much IT there
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
email sent to administrator

Have you thought of getting skilled up after your redundancy in Aug. Get a recognised industry certificate to back up your work experience. Just a thought HTH.

I'm in IT myself, and will be getting Microsoft certification soon, it's helped me in the past get work, its bloody hard work but I'm convinced it helps "qualify" your work experience and puts your CV on the top of the pile

I personally want to go to CChurch, but I don't think much IT there
Chch will be no good on the average for IT I would think. You will be taking a big risk of being unemployed or only shop work.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 7:55 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

We go to NZ for good (hopefully) on 26th June. We applied and were accepted on the Independant skills category as i am a qualified engineer.

If you saw the BBC2 programme on a family moving to Tauranga, he didn't have skill, so he applied as a business investor & bought his own vehicle valeting franchise! & got trained up when he got there.

We are moving to a place that we WANT to live in & find available work there, not living in a particular place just because that's where the most work is.

Is it that crucial to to live in Auckland or any given city, just to stay in your trade? Try something new!! get a new life!!! as they say.
I'm not moaning, but there seems to be an awful lot of people on here who are limiting themselves because of their trade.

Ok, fine, if you are after extra points for finding a job, thats understandable.
You may not earn as much money as an ice-cream salesman on the beach as you would normally in your laboratory as a scientist, but at least you may live longer.
I may well have to go back to my dull & boring trade to earn money, but I'm gonna try something new first, if you love you job, good for you, I guess I should have tried harder at school!!

Good luck to everyone, go for it & chill out!

I'll be seeing you all when I empty your dust-bins!!!

Last edited by garrisondamn; Jun 3rd 2003 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 7:58 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Is it what you thought?

PF
Hi,

We (family of 4) moved to NZ 7mths ago. I will at some point put a more detailed answer on but I have got to get the kids ready for school.

I just wanted to say that I don't want the forum split into seperate OZ and NZ. It may take you ages to wade through the oz stuff but if you actually count the NZ stuff there is no where near enough to make a vibrant forum on its own. I've been posting on here for quite sometime now and people come and go, there have been times when there where only about 4 regular NZ bound posters. Also I have made some good friends on here most of whom are OZ bound and I like it that it is easy to keep up to date with their news and post on their threads. It may seem annoying to wade through the negative OZ posters but if we separate out it will only take one negative NZ poster to taint a small forum (and believe me they are out there). There is safety in numbers guys, together we stand divided we fall.

Paula
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

I agree with you Alan, and I would like to try something new.
As my wife can get us out there on her job and quals, I would like to try something different in a place we want to live.

Those reading the other post I have added over the last week, may think we keep changing our plans, which we are.
Nothing is set in concreate or easy with this moving stuff.

thanks for your replies and keep them coming.

PF
Old Jun 4th 2003, 1:31 am
Just Joined

wog_boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you Alan, and I would like to try something new.
As my wife can get us out there on her job and quals, I would like to try something different in a place we want to live.

Those reading the other post I have added over the last week, may think we keep changing our plans, which we are.
Nothing is set in concreate or easy with this moving stuff.

thanks for your replies and keep them coming.

PF

I have been here since January and a lot of folks would argue not long enough to form an opinion, so take it as a personal observation. Living in NZ is not as idyllic as somepeople would have you believe. The people themselves might appear on the surface friendly, but deep down they are sceptical of foreigners coming to their country. This is demonstrated in their social approach and the work place.
This is not my first move to a foreign country and some of that I experienced when I first went to the UK , by the way I am WOG with the OZ meaning of the word. I believe the main problem is that they are very conservative and dont embrace change.
But I moved for the lifestyle and that I did found here, so I have no regrets, the work took second priority but it would have been nice if that was challenging.
If you are planning to look for a job after you arrive , be prepared. You will more than likely end up dong something that you are overqualified...
Hope this helps
Old Jun 4th 2003, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by garrisondamn
You,ve got the right idea - Why not try something different. Although Auckland isn't all big city and busy busy, the outskirts are very countryfied and quiet.
We have been here 22 months now and I'm in a trade I never thought of doing in the UK. I got the job word of mouth which I don't think would have happened in the UK. There is more trust and smaller businesses here so you have more chance of having a go at something different.
It's definately more pleasant living here than in the Uk, just the milder weather can make all the difference to your mood and of course the lovely surroundings make it ( slightly) easier to get uo in the mornings !!
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Kebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpat19
[i]Originally posted by garrisondamn
You,ve got the right idea - Why not try something different. Although Auckland isn't all big city and busy busy, the outskirts are very countryfied and quiet.
We have been here 22 months now and I'm in a trade I never thought of doing in the UK. I got the job word of mouth which I don't think would have happened in the UK. There is more trust and smaller businesses here so you have more chance of having a go at something different.
It's definately more pleasant living here than in the Uk, just the milder weather can make all the difference to your mood and of course the lovely surroundings make it ( slightly) easier to get uo in the mornings !!

XPAT 19,

Just curious, what trade have you gone into?

Lifes so short and we spend so much of it at work, might as well enjoy it!!!!

Donna
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
I just wanted to say that I don't want the forum split into seperate OZ and NZ. It may take you ages to wade through the oz stuff but if you actually count the NZ stuff there is no where near enough to make a vibrant forum on its own. I've been posting on here for quite sometime now and people come and go, there have been times when there where only about 4 regular NZ bound posters. Also I have made some good friends on here most of whom are OZ bound and I like it that it is easy to keep up to date with their news and post on their threads. It may seem annoying to wade through the negative OZ posters but if we separate out it will only take one negative NZ poster to taint a small forum (and believe me they are out there). There is safety in numbers guys, together we stand divided we fall.
Paula
Its starting to cheese a few of us off some of the OZ posts recently, wading through them is getting a pain don't you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.