Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will we be made welcome??

Will we be made welcome??

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 4:47 pm
Just Startin'

scotpandj is on a distinguished road
Default Will we be made welcome??

How tolerant are the Australian people towards immigrants?
We found them to be really laid back and friendly while on holiday

Scotpandj
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 4:49 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody migrants !

Siren's b/h
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:02 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nation built on migrants. Reckon they're used to them by now.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by diddy
It's a nation built on migrants. Reckon they're used to them by now.
so true...there were a dozen or so different nationalities in the team I worked in (Pom, Irish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Hong Kong-Chinese, Filipino, Turkish, Russian, Mauritian, Canadian, Malaysian, Korean). Less than half the team were Australian-born.

However, fair to say that there is intolerance and racism too. There's often stories in the papers about racial attacks, race rows, discrimation cases, etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:59 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
so true...there were a dozen or so different nationalities in the team I worked in (Pom, Irish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Hong Kong-Chinese, Filipino, Turkish, Russian, Mauritian, Canadian, Malaysian, Korean). Less than half the team were Australian-born.
What language did you speak HP? Esperanto ?
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 10:13 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by Bix
What language did you speak HP? Esperanto ?
patrinfikulo
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will we be made welcome??

A lot will depend on how you interact with Australians

Jeremy

Originally posted by scotpandj

Scotpandj
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Scotpandj

You will be, unless you always compare Oz to UK....I have found the same coming from Oz to the UK....Its hard not to compare...sometimes you find yourself doing it without realising...and people hate it....no matter where you are.

Hels
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Put it this way, have found the Australians alot more friendly than people in UK, especially in service industry, makes a difference when you ask for something to be greeted with helpful assistance than a grunt
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by Swifts
Put it this way, have found the Australians alot more friendly than people in UK, especially in service industry, makes a difference when you ask for something to be greeted with helpful assistance than a grunt

You get a grunt????

Gawd...you must go to the really posh shops......

Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Hels
You get a grunt????

Gawd...you must go to the really posh shops......

no the grunts came from the shops in Uk, not the people lol

Last edited by Swifts; Aug 4th 2004 at 12:10 am.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:12 am
Account Closed

no the grunts came form the shops in Uk,

Yeah...I meant to say you GOT grunts.....

Its late!! Thats my excuse...and I'm gonna stick to it...

I was at Brent Cross the other day and walked into a shoe shop.....I started looking at a few of the stands and then picked up a pair of shoes that I was interested in....I stood by a few of the sales assistants with the shoe in hand and was astounded that after a few minutes of them chatting...not one of them acknowledged me....In the end, I said "Excuse me"...handed them the shoe and just walked out....

Not so much as a grunt!!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Hels
Yeah...I meant to say you GOT grunts.....

Its late!! Thats my excuse...and I'm gonna stick to it...

I was at Brent Cross the other day and walked into a shoe shop.....I started looking at a few of the stands and then picked up a pair of shoes that I was interested in....I stood by a few of the sales assistants with the shoe in hand and was astounded that after a few minutes of them chatting...not one of them acknowledged me....In the end, I said "Excuse me"...handed them the shoe and just walked out....

Not so much as a grunt!!
no worries,

you will think you've got a personal shopper when you go shopping here, they can't do enough for you, prob end up walking out with more purchases than you went for
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:19 am
Account Closed

no worries,

you will think you've got a personal shopper when you go shopping here, they can't do enough for you, prob end up walking out with more purchases than you went for

Oh, I remember very well.....

And I usually did walk out with more than I went in for....not sure if that was because of the service, or just my shopping problem I have
Old Aug 4th 2004, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Scotpandj
You'll be fine if you're from Scotland. Aussies think the world of you guys. Most of the pioneers and explorers of this vast continent were Scots . . . Sturt, MacQuarie, etc.
Seems the Scots broke the trails and the English followed to open up the land in many parts of Australia, Canada, America, Africa (Dr. Livingstone) and New Zealand.
Just let Aussies rave on about how great this place is and just nod your head, while they shout you another beer!
At the end of the day, they really are pleased to have you live alongside them . . .just no bag-pipes, except on New Year's Day at midnight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.