Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will a vegetarian have a problem getting invited to barbecues?

Will a vegetarian have a problem getting invited to barbecues?

Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will a vegetarian have a problem getting invited to barbecues?

I always get sent on a guilt trip when I eat meat in the company of a vegetarian.

'How can you eat the flesh of a dead animal?' Is the usual question or loud noises of pretend retching.

When Mr PP's muslim friends saw me eating pork, they would nearly always comment on it.

Personally I think whatever we eat is our own busines, I miss Quorn though, Mr PP makes a mean lasagne with Quorn.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

vicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nicevicki t is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seasider
Well you did kick it off so it wasn't a huge leap of imagination.
no, i just pointed out the error. i didnt start the tread.

what people eat is their own business, just dont say you are veggie when you are not. IM NOT just for the record.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:14 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by vicki t
oh dear, i thought this might happen.

of the above list pescetarian and pollotarian are not types of vegetarians. by its very nature a vegetarian diet does not consist of eating animals whether they are land based or water based. however i do agree there are many differnent permutations.

i think the most common type is

the lacto ovo veggie. ie eats eggs and dairy produce
then probably followed by lacto veggie (like many hindu's) ie no eggs but they do eat dairy produce.

to complicate things further you have dietry and non-dietry vegetarians. for example wearing leather, silk etc.

there has been a few scares with fruitarians. i think a couple have been prosecuted in the US for unintentially killing their child bringing them up on a fruitarian diet. however fruitarians are definately a minority in the vegetarian scale.

many vegans would not class themselves as vegetarians but say they are in a class of their own.

it has always puzzeled me why meat reducers/and or fish/seafood eaters want to class themselves as vegetarians in any shape or form?

there is nothing wrong in saying - i base my diet on a vegetarian lifestyle but occasionally eat fish/meat etc.
Well, Vicki, it's not something I made up.
These are the outlines used by dieticians and nutritionists to identify different diet types, using a base that they are all vegetarian diets, with additions. People can call themselves whater they want, but these are the terms in wide use by nutritionists and therefore given as options on many forms for hospital admission, airline meals etc.

They assume a base point that a normal diet includes all of the food groups, and therefore all of the above choices are alternatives for which a label is useful, whether some approve of the specific word used or not. People need to identify themselves.
It's important for example, to know if a person just doesn't eat red meat, or is a "pollo veggie" - this means the chicken can't be cooked in sauce using red meat stock for example. Someome just trying to keeop the cholestoral down wouldn't be bothered with that.

Many people also use these as steps towards a fully veggie diet and so that is also recognised in the terminology.

My recognition of these terms as being used, does not condone the correctness of that, any of the moral issues or the examples of frutarian 'child killings' you have mentioned.

I simply added mention of these terms and categories to an already tongue in cheek discussion.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
...Just asking on behalf of a friend - ahem!

Cheers,

Marcus.

Where are you moving to ?
We've never had a problem-like people say, you take your own meat/burgers anyway.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Do you eat fish, fish is lovely on a bbq
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
...Just asking on behalf of a friend - ahem!

Cheers,

Marcus.
Dear Marcus' friend

We stayed with Ozzies on our reccie, I'm vegetarian (no meat/fish) personally don't like thought of eating off the barbie with fat spits etc, even if it is wrapped in tin foil, (doesn't bother me cooking it as hubby eats enough meat for the both of us). Each to their own....... I found There was plenty of salad, bread, pasta bits to make a meal, to be sure just take along a few bits you know you can eat, I'm sure most people probably don't want a plate with just meat on it anyway so should always be some choice??
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

the aussies i know..think of vegetarians as those....who dont' eat meat. be it just dont' eat red meat. or dont' eat anything that has a face.

if you started getting into all these fancy names..and citing yourself as such...that will cause tons of confusion and only incite those nasty conversations etc that ensure!

i certainly dont' introduce myself as a vegetarian or have never met anyone who introduces themself as a meat eater! i dont' think i have ever been invited to a bbq and said, oh by the way i am a vegetarian!! as they say above people usualy bring their own meat unless it is a sasauge sizzle or something like that....lots of times to them i just take my own salad and roll..