Reload this Page >

Will US TV work in Australia?

Will US TV work in Australia?

Old May 10th 2004, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

sammy03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will US TV work in Australia?

Hi,

We have a 56 inch Panasonic HDTV which we bought 6 months back. Will this TV work in Australia. As i have heard US have NTSC and Australia is PAL.

Thanks in Advance
Sammy
Old May 10th 2004, 7:46 pm
PommieLeague

No it wont work because of the voltage system which is different in the US.
Any electrical item however from the UK will work with a standard adaptor for Aussie sockets.

Old May 10th 2004, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lathlain
Any electrical item however from the UK will work with a standard adaptor for Aussie sockets.

Yes - this is most certainly the case. We are busy selling all our US electrical stuff at the moment. You could use a transformer though - we did this for our UK stereo in the US. It is a bit cumbersome and it makes a 'humming' sound, but it does work.
Old May 10th 2004, 8:16 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but even if you did get a voltage converter and stepped the AUS 240v down to US 120v then your TV still wouldn't work.

Two problems :-

1. AUS voltage is 50Hz, US is 60Hz - would more than likely throw the timing circuits in the TV out.

more importantly...

2. US use the NTSC broadcast standard whereas AUS use PAL (although a slighlty different flavour of PAL than the UK does).

Top tip is to flog the HDTV set and splash out a a brand new 42 inch plasma screen when you get there. Wouldn't that look great ? - a wide screen TV hanging ont he wall only a few inches thick !

Now if only I could persuade the missus
Old May 10th 2004, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by EssexNobby
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but even if you did get a voltage converter and stepped the AUS 240v down to US 120v then your TV still wouldn't work.

1. AUS voltage is 50Hz, US is 60Hz - would more than likely throw the timing circuits in the TV out.
So do you think we would have problems with US speakers in oz?. We have some really great creature' speakers and were planning on taking them over and using a transformer. Hope we still can
Old May 10th 2004, 9:01 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I can be the bearer of good news

Speakers will work justfine, as long as they aren't active speakers that contain their own amplifier and plug into the mains. If they're just the ordinary kind of speakers that plug into the back of your hi-fi then they will work okay.

I'm taking mine with me anyway !
Old May 10th 2004, 9:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by helenmaine
So do you think we would have problems with US speakers in oz?. We have some really great creature' speakers and were planning on taking them over and using a transformer. Hope we still can
The speakers should be fine but you should check to see if your amplifier has a 240V50Hz input. If you have a sub woofer there maybe an issue.
Old May 10th 2004, 9:03 pm

Originally posted by Lathlain
Yes but UK Tvs and VCRs may not pick sound broadcast in Australia.
Old May 11th 2004, 12:34 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by bondipom
Yes but UK Tvs and VCRs may not pick sound broadcast in Australia.
Will not, methinks. The frequency offset is different in the UK and Oz so you can't tune in to both sound and vision. Mind you the difference isn't that big so maybe you could get poor sound rather than none. Anyway this is all theoretical waffling on my part as I'm not yet in a position to try it out, so let's hear from anyone who has actually found out the hard way!

Mark
Old May 11th 2004, 1:05 am

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Will not, methinks. The frequency offset is different in the UK and Oz so you can't tune in to both sound and vision. Mind you the difference isn't that big so maybe you could get poor sound rather than none. Anyway this is all theoretical waffling on my part as I'm not yet in a position to try it out, so let's hear from anyone who has actually found out the hard way!

Mark
You are correct but a multi system TV that picks up PAL and NTSC might work. Voltage as pointed out earlier might also be an issue.
Old May 11th 2004, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

sammy03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can a PAL to NTSC converter do the trick to work ???
We have very less time to sell it. We wanna take it but dunno how????

Please help.......
Sammy

Originally posted by EssexNobby

more importantly...

2. US use the NTSC broadcast standard whereas AUS use PAL (although a slighlty different flavour of PAL than the UK does).

Top tip is to flog the HDTV set and splash out a a brand new 42 inch plasma screen when you get there. Wouldn't that look great ? - a wide screen TV hanging ont he wall only a few inches thick !

Now if only I could persuade the missus
Old May 11th 2004, 2:47 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sammy03
Hi,

Can a PAL to NTSC converter do the trick to work ???
We have very less time to sell it. We wanna take it but dunno how????

Please help.......
Sammy
Do you think it's worth the cost of shipping it over there?
Old May 11th 2004, 11:48 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by bondipom
You are correct but a multi system TV that picks up PAL and NTSC might work.
Don't see how that would help, since as EssexNobby says, UK and Oz both use (versions of) PAL.

It's stupid really as I imagine the TV manufacturers must sell the same sets in both countries (to cut costs) and so it must surely be a simple internal adjustment (jumpers on the circuit board I expect) so why can't they make it user-adjustable? Grrr.

Mark
Old May 11th 2004, 9:28 pm

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Don't see how that would help, since as EssexNobby says, UK and Oz both use (versions of) PAL.

It's stupid really as I imagine the TV manufacturers must sell the same sets in both countries (to cut costs) and so it must surely be a simple internal adjustment (jumpers on the circuit board I expect) so why can't they make it user-adjustable? Grrr.

Mark
It was probably a piece of pathetic trade protection done in the first place by Oz. Some TVs can automatically detect ot have an Oz setting that can pick up OZ and UK sound.
Old May 11th 2004, 10:01 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

I could be wrong but:

USa to Aus/NZ electrical.. not worth the bother of taking on the whole. Passive items such as speakers are different.

UK to same places..
It varies, but mainly good ish news.. take them....

I beleive modern TVS/Vids should be ok anyway, and the slightly older ones can be converted to PAL1 for a fee..

There have been many threads throughout these pages on the topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.