Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will UK lightbulbs work in Oz?

Will UK lightbulbs work in Oz?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will UK lightbulbs work in Oz?

Ok, I've just been all around the house taking out our environmentally-friendly-will-last-forever lightbulbs, and it only just occured to me that they might not work in Australia!!

Can anyone enLIGHTen me? (Did you see what I did there?! )
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Will UK lightbulbs work in Oz?

I did laugh at first then remembered by own lack of knowledge... yup they'll work fine - in fact the gov was giving away free ones of that type. Oh and all your electicals will work too - just change the plug once here.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khoardiroy
I did laugh at first then remembered by own lack of knowledge... yup they'll work fine - in fact the gov was giving away free ones of that type. Oh and all your electicals will work too - just change the plug once here.
That's ok - I'd rather you laughed because they will work than because they won't - I wrestled with several dusty light-shades to get them out, and then thought it might have all been completely pointless!!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Will UK lightbulbs work in Oz?

Originally Posted by esperanza
Ok, I've just been all around the house taking out our environmentally-friendly-will-last-forever lightbulbs, and it only just occured to me that they might not work in Australia!!
Why wouldn't they?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Why wouldn't they?
Coz the electricity goes the other way round, doesn't it?

Well I don't know, do I, I've never bloody been there - the sockets might be different or something!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, new question: Any ideas about how much I should hold on to in terms of old bank statements, creditcard statements, utility bills, etc? Will they be any use to me at all once in Australia?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:54 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just buy some out there?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

OK, new question: Any ideas about how much I should hold on to in terms of old bank statements, creditcard statements, utility bills, etc? Will they be any use to me at all once in Australia?
If for nothing else you could use them to light the fireplace....
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well thank you for those constructive comments....
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Will UK lightbulbs work in Oz?

Coz the electricity goes the other way round, doesn't it?

Well I don't know, do I, I've never bloody been there - the sockets might be different or something!
Sockets are the same; bayonet fitting is standard, though you occasionally find Edison fittings from time to time (as you do here in the UK).
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:46 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

For us none of that stuff was ever needed... Might be an idea to hang onto the last 3 months in case you need to sort something back in Blighty later on, but other than that...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I threw the whole lot out, it felt great

Just keep one of each in case you need the account numbers or something to ring them.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

We kept ours as evidence...and British Gas did try to get more money from us so glad we did.

Never really needed them but the mortgage people did glance at old job wage slips and references.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:04 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

If you take the Kitchen sink aswell it will still work, but the water will spin around the plug hole the other way round .
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:05 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeilCk
If you take the Kitchen sink aswell it will still work, but the water will spin around the plug hole the other way round .

No it wont.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.