Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will someone PLEASE help me!!!!

Will someone PLEASE help me!!!!

Old Aug 6th 2003, 7:42 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default Will someone PLEASE help me!!!!

Firstly, let me tell you my story. Back in 1993, thanks to the Royal Air Force, I got to visit Aus for 3 weeks, in which time I spent 2 weeks in Brisbane with family friends, and a week in Sydney being a real tourist. I loved it and did a lot af saving to get back.

In 2001, I took myself and my 7mth old daughter to Aus for 6 weeks, visiting family friends in Brisbane again(I love Brisbane) and a week in Melbourne with their daughter, hoping to find some way of living there permanently. I visited migration agencies and the lot only to be turned down at every step. A friend of the people I was staying with even offered to marry me!!! But being the practical person i am, I found that i couldn't even entertain the scenario.

However, I find that I am never going to be able to fulfill my dream of giving my daughter a better lifestyle and giving myself the happiness I feel when I'm there. I am even considering marrying the guy who "proposed" last time. (30 year age difference - d'ya think the gov't would see through it???? lol )
I've even enrolled for a degree in Business management which will conclude in 2006, which MAY help my application for a visa.

Constantly, i read about people who have got their visas or are waiting and I feel really happy for them but not to put a finer point on it " I want one!!!!"

I will be visiting Brisbane again in December for Xmas and so I would like ANY tips etc for a successful stay, as i really don't want to have to come back to this shithole again!!!!

Sorry if this was a bit tedious but if you felt like i did---- you'd understand my frustration
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

well of course loves knows no boundaries..

but proving it is another matter..
some had a fairly easy time but some like anthony kirby went through more hoops than a performing dog..

not really knowing your exact situation we must bow down to the agents who refused you..

they are in it for the money (nothing wrong there) and if your a hopeless case then there's no payday in it..

i know there is a lot of bride buying going on in nz at the moment -and to be honest even here in newbury you see quite a few thai girls with english blokes
so another one here and there could always work if worked correctly..although as a totally honest person i do not condone law breaking in anyway...

however on your main point which i do feel is crutial and exactly to the point ,i agree -

yorkshire is shit!!

cheers

richard
Old Aug 6th 2003, 10:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As Richard says, we don't know your exact situation, and I guess the agents must have had a reasonable idea about your chances when they turned you down.
However, the main point from where I'm sitting is that you are considering marriage purely to get a visa. Yes it happens, but it makes life harder for those of us who are trying to abide by immigration law. Anthony & Zoe - mentioned by Richard - have recently had to come up with a vast amount of proof that they are genuine, and they've gone though hell. Even older couples like myself and my Bloke have had to produce a lot of info and statements to show that we are genuine - thats for prospective marriage. And thats not the end of it, you don't get PR until you can prove that the relationship is ongoing and committed.
If you fall for someone, and its genuine, and you are setting up a stable family and future for your daughter, then good luck to you, otherwise personally I'd advise against it. It makes migration harder for those of us who ARE genuine, and what example does it set your daughter?
And have you thought about how to answer the question on the spouse visa form regarding whether you entered the relationship purely with the intention of getting a visa.........??

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, I can see why you want to migrate, and I do sympathise, but please think carefully before you make a move you may regret.

Pollyana
Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi Brisbec,

If you can let us know, why did the agents turn you down.

Personally we had no need for an agent, but my brother did as AHC didn't recognise his trade fully.

It seems to me there are a variety of ways to get a visa so I'm curious as to why the agents turned you down flat

Cheers
Old Aug 7th 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dont Be So Silly!!!

Brisbec ...

Dont be a fool with the visa - it took us months of sheer torment to get ours and lots of agony and heartbreak to go with it.

For genuine couples who really love each other its very difficult to get into Australia so they will see STRAIGHT through you - sorry!

Fair enough you want a better life but dont make it harder for others by cheating the system.

I do not mean to sound offensive but after the last 6 months we have been through I feel that I need to raise the subject!

Anthony
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Flying in 11 days, but has it come and have you got those passports?

Whisky
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry no tips. Try another immigration agent. People seem to think Alan Collett at Go Matilda is worth knowing. If no luck then maybe a long holiday, find someone you really want to be with and marry for real?

As long as you are genuinely together you never get turned down in the end (not if you're white anyway - Australia is racist like everywhere else) - it just takes a lot of paperwork as Anthony and Zoe discovered.

That said, I'm not sure real 'true love' has to figure in it. A marriage of convenience is fine for immigration as long as you actually intend to stay together. One of my Australian uncles has had more than one Filipino bride. I'm pretty sure it was not true love on their part at least
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Brisbec

don't worry - I understood the marriage JOKE!!

Perhaps when you're there in December you'll find a another way try looking at jobs available, maybe someone will sponsor you to work.

Remember the old saying: Where there's a Will, There's a Way!!

You've just got to Find It!!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly in many 3rd world countries education and corresponding skills are out of the reach of most without money. Even with the skills the immigration application fees are extortionate converted to most currencies.

For many with the 'will' to move, the only 'way' is illegal or by being a mail order bride. It's much easier for Westerners - for us it's usually just a question of how much work/sacrifice we want to make to get there.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi Brisbec

Ok your not going to marry the bloke 30 years your senior even for a visa, i have heard of several people turned down by agents who have gone on to get visas, have you tried agents in the uk or only in aus. Whatever happens dont let your frustration at not being able to stay spoil your holiday.

I hope things work out one day
Lynn
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:16 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys.....it appears that gd understood the marriage thing.

I have no intention of marrying for a visa, but i can understand why people do it. As a few of you have mentioned, it would not send a good message to my daughter if i "used" someone like that.

My main reason for getting turned down by agents is because I'm not "skilled". I'm more than adequately qualified in the field of Logisitics but so is half the country it seems. This is why I am undertaking a degree course at uni - to better my chances of being accepted for a skilled visa.

One thing is for sure - I will live in Australia by hook or by crook - or even for 6 weeks over xmas!!!!!!

Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hope all goes well in Uni, and you get the qualifications you need and it isn't too long before your dream comes true.
In the meantime, stay on expats, you will learn loads. Then you will see that the rest of us go through quite a lot to get out there.
If you were to go back on the posts from anthony kirby for instance, you will realise that you have other friends on the forum that you can turn too, and a lot of us can say, ' we understand'.

Stick with us and scream and shout if you like - we won't mind.

Whisky
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And if you are lucky enough to meet an Aussie guy and get the chance to go to Oz that way, like I am, then I wish you all the luck in the world, and will help out with questions/support when I can - its just that some of us have been through a lot to get our relationships proven, so you hit a bit of a raw nerve.
As Whisky said, stick with us - we're not a bad bunch really!
Best of luck - I hope you get your dream in the end; just keep it in sight and you never know..........
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:14 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brisbec,
Keep going with the degree you can continue to try get to into Oz but if nothing comes up you'll have your degree at the end of the day which will improve your chances of getting in. Three years ago we decided that a degree would give us our best chance of getting into Oz. I am now at uni about to start my final year of a BSc hons in Computing. It has turned out that we will be able to get into Oz on my husbands qualifications and work experience. We don't need my degree but I'm really glad i'm doing it, i'm enjoying it, it takes the focus off immigration and hopefully it will allow me to have a decent job when we finally get there.
So keep your chin up you will get there.
All the best
ACE
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:22 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jolyn

As long as you are genuinely together you never get turned down in the end (not if you're white anyway - Australia is racist like everywhere else) -

hI Jolyn,
It was lovely to meet you and your family on sunday, thanks for all the good advice.
Now, you've got me a little worried, you've met me and my family is this race thing likely to hinder our chances of a successful outcome to our application or is this just the case for some Australians who marry non-white would be immigrants.
Kind Regards
ACE