Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Originally Posted by zoe13
i'm loving all this military parlance! really i think it's great, really amused me. like your thinking mate!!
It's amazing what you can learn from the military - remember they have been in the planning and ops games since Genghis Khan used an elephant (or something). Forget the Yanks for the time being. There's lots of things people do that come from the military in some way.

Theres only 2 professions, soldiers and women, someone once said.

A lot of people are very anti-military but its taught me more than I'd ever learn in industry - lots of stuff they don't teach anymore, anywhere, if that makes sense. Flexibillity and initiative, tolerance and self-discipline, when to be a maverick and take control, when to show a bit of respect and hold back..show a bit of humility, diplomacy and patience. Its really helped as a migrant.

A mate of mine calls his wife 'Chief' too. Now we know he means, "boss" no doubt about it.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
If you ever end up single, That's, do let me know.
What, so you know my wife is available?! I can't remember if you're a bloke or not.

I love my wife. She is a God[ess] in my books. One in a million. And she is so talented. I smile everytime I see her walk into a room I am already in. I have no idea what she sees in me.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:33 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
What, so you know my wife is available?! I can't remember if you're a bloke or not.

I love my wife. She is a God[ess] in my books. One in a million. And she is so talented. I smile everytime I see her walk into a room I am already in. I have no idea what she sees in me.
The fact that you polish her boots!?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:35 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
The fact that you polish her boots!?
He must be on a promise...
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ransi
He must be on a promise...
Polish my boots, and I'll call you to attention
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:40 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Polish my boots, and I'll call you to attention
Helmet more like...
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Helmet more like...
pmsl

She want to see her face in it!!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Thanks for all those replies everyone.

Its great to hear such positive responses and to read about what you all find so wonderful about Australia. Its making me look forward to our adventure even more.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Helmet more like...
I polish my own helmet, it's all greasy, gooey and covered in muck.

I have more than one.

One is for wildfire, one is for structural, one is for chainsawing, one is for on horseback, there are many more.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:51 am
Cheeky member

I have more than one.

One is for wildfire, one is for structural, one is for chainsawing, one is for on horseback, there are many more.
Bloody luck Mrs.Thatsnotquiteright
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
Sod the military. Let's talk about Australia.

Telling an Aussie how much you love Australia and watching them beam with pleasure

Real 'ocker' Aussies
Some people would class the first one as being insular, etc. I think it is great- my view is that most Aussies frankly know on which side their bread is buttered. There's no need to hold a bloody inquiry into the rights or wrongs of that conclusion: you don't have to go overseas to be proud or happy or content with your lot or maybe think it is probably the best.

I find that feral ocker Aussies, (they are hoons, not so nice, behind a wheel) are a lot nicer people than chavs.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:20 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people would class the first one as being insular, etc. I think it is great- my view is that most Aussies frankly know on which side their bread is buttered. There's no need to hold a bloody inquiry into the rights or wrongs of that conclusion: you don't have to go overseas to be proud or happy or content with your lot or maybe think it is probably the best.

I find that feral ocker Aussies, (they are hoons, not so nice, behind a wheel) are a lot nicer people than chavs.
I really would be clueless if I'd met any chavs or hoons (unless you count my BIL ) but I really think you get out what you put in. There are some 'interesting' looking people up here but they always surprise me by being absolutely lovely people when we chat. They KNOW it's beautiful up here and they know they've got it pretty good, as you say. It's just an acceptance of that fact, I find... bread buttered and all that. I don't find it insular at all.
When I'm on the lookout up the road and tourists pull up, and they ask if I'm from nearby, and I tell them I live here, they always say how lucky I am... and I have to agree (although there was little luck involved actually)

Last edited by iPom; Jul 21st 2006 at 10:22 am.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:33 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I'd murder my OH if he did that to me !!!
At ease, private
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:34 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

\

Or not!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have more than one.

Pleeease Dear Badge, don't post things like that when I have been in the pub since lunchtime! The Bloke is currently swearing at me for laughing so much I fell off the chair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.