Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Old Jul 20th 2006, 6:58 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Ok, been thinking for a while about this. Everyone here has different impressions about Australia depending on where they live and the different people they have to deal with on a day to day basis.

So, good or bad, I want you to write down what really epitomises Australia for you.

What, in your view, represents the 'real' Australia?

It can be anything that you feel. There is no good or bad, right or wrong answer on this thread....

Go on then. Let's give the people waiting for their visa something good to read.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 7:08 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Originally Posted by iPom

Go on then. Let's give the people waiting for their visa something good to read.
Waiting moronically at pedestrian crossings for the lights to change for fear of being caught and fined for jaywalking.

Waking to the sound of birdsong in the summer. At 4am.

Thinking it's too cold for shorts when it drops below 25C.

Having to have two beers while mowing the lawn in summer to replace lost fluids.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

People living in a country enjoying the sorts of things priveleged people do the world over.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Sitting on a deserted beach, listening to my iPod, the sun beating down from a cloudless sky...

Waking up and jumping straight into my own pool to wake myself up...During the Summer of course! It DOES get very cold here during the Winter months!

Very easy driving test...Which is both good AND bad!

JDT
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:27 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

1. waking the first morning you are back (and then everyday after) and hearing the birdsong
2. The noise of a cricket? somewhere in your ceiling - which goes on all night, but stops everytime you mute the tv.
3. Battling with the washing line (wind) and then realising the first garment is nearly dry, by the time you've finished.
4. seeing the heat shimmer on the free way
5. feeling the sun on your face, through the windows of the train (on way to Perth, from Joondalup)
6. Drinking Brownes Coffee chill with a straw
7. The blue sky & lazy heat (on a summers day - when you've got free time to enjoy)
8. The smell of chicken or steak cooking on the BBQ, as you sit round the outdoor table, enjoying a VB!
9. Neoprene? stubby and can holders - no pint glass please! Give me a can holder!!!!
10. Shopping centres - ohhhh my god - I love them!
11. Seeing Perth city from the plane as you land!
12. Being 'Welcomed home' by customs staff
13. The sound of the rain, drumming on the roof and windows in Winter!
14. not wearing a scarf (because it's Australia) but wishing you had one, all the same!
15. Enjoying a flat white coffee at Hillarys!
16. the coolness of the library on a summer days - and the quietness!
17. The way the tinsel decorating Perth city centre, glints in the harsh sunlight!
18. The fact that you know the 'vegemite song' even if you don't like vegemite!
19. Cold milo with Hi-lo milk!
20. Brumby's bread
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:28 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Walking down the road, and people smiling at you and saying 'hi'

Easily being able to find an empty beach to walk on if that is what you want.

Getting honked at the traffic lights if you take longer than a second to pull off on green.
Thinking that you had only just got through that amber light, and then looking in your mirror to see 6 other cars following you through..

Having parrot shit on your car every morning.

Feeling safe and happy
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:31 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
1. waking the first morning you are back (and then everyday after) and hearing the birdsong
2. The noise of a cricket? somewhere in your ceiling - which goes on all night, but stops everytime you mute the tv.
3. Battling with the washing line (wind) and then realising the first garment is nearly dry, by the time you've finished.
4. seeing the heat shimmer on the free way
5. feeling the sun on your face, through the windows of the train (on way to Perth, from Joondalup)
6. Drinking Brownes Coffee chill with a straw
7. The blue sky & lazy heat (on a summers day - when you've got free time to enjoy)
8. The smell of chicken or steak cooking on the BBQ, as you sit round the outdoor table, enjoying a VB!
9. Neoprene? stubby and can holders - no pint glass please! Give me a can holder!!!!
10. Shopping centres - ohhhh my god - I love them!
11. Seeing Perth city from the plane as you land!
12. Being 'Welcomed home' by customs staff
13. The sound of the rain, drumming on the roof and windows in Winter!
14. not wearing a scarf (because it's Australia) but wishing you had one, all the same!
15. Enjoying a flat white coffee at Hillarys!
16. the coolness of the library on a summer days - and the quietness!
17. The way the tinsel decorating Perth city centre, glints in the harsh sunlight!
18. The fact that you know the 'vegemite song' even if you don't like vegemite!
19. Cold milo with Hi-lo milk!
20. Brumby's bread

Oh! I like your answers.....just have to change Perth to Melbourne (as I'm here )
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
Walking down the road, and people smiling at you and saying 'hi'

Easily being able to find an empty beach to walk on if that is what you want.

Getting honked at the traffic lights if you take longer than a second to pull off on green.
Now ain't that weird? I find here that no one cares how long you take when the lights turn green. I automatically move as soon as if I'm at the front, but if anyone is in front of me, there seems to be no hurry at all and I don't think I have heard a horn more than a couple of times since we arrived in November

Australia for me is smiling people, sun shining, getting to the end of my road and seeing the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other. Beachside coffee bars and cafes with interesting food not scampi and chips. People moaning about the traffic when there are 20 cars in a queue. Not having a had a migraine since we arrived because I am more relaxed, having a koala bear wander along my veranda and telling Aussies very excitedly and them saying "that's cool" - no - that is f****** amazing
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:36 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Ok, been thinking for a while about this. Everyone here has different impressions about Australia depending on where they live and the different people they have to deal with on a day to day basis.

So, good or bad, I want you to write down what really epitomises Australia for you.

What, in your view, represents the 'real' Australia?

It can be anything that you feel. There is no good or bad, right or wrong answer on this thread....

HQ holden
Barefeet, Thongs, Flip Flops
Cold beer (taste) sausages on the BBQ (smell)
The sound of mowing machines on Saturday morning, freshly cut grass and the shouting of kids at Saturday sports.
ACDC, Men at work, Split Enz (kiwi but thats part of Oz - taking the goodies from NZ)
Dingos, Kangaroos, Snakes/Spiders (dont get these in NZ apart from politicians but there vicious)
Rugby League/Rugby Union/AFL/Cricket (one dayers)
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

The bright blue skies.
Huge distances between places.
Friendly people
Slower pace of life.
Rush hour means that there might be a car or two on the roads.
Christmas in the summer.
The feeling that it is sort of like England but not quite (lots of things seem familiar which can lead to people constantly comparing the 2 places rather than accepting that they are 2 different countries)

Where we are is like stepping back in time for all of the good and bad things that that entails.

Nicky
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

The typical: "G'day, how are ya?" ('specially in shops etc)

At first its a surprise and so pleasant: "aren't these aussies so bloody friendly?!"...

A few months in its: "God, this is so false, their bosses obviously tell them to say it..part of their job description..."...

Two years on you realise: " Geez I'm glad we live here with friendly folk, who say 'G'day, how are ya' as part of the norm, rather than shop assistants who grunt at you and chuck your change over the counter......"

Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
The typical: "G'day, how are ya?" ('specially in shops etc)

At first its a surprise and so pleasant: "aren't these aussies so bloody friendly?!"...

A few months in its: "God, this is so false, their bosses obviously tell them to say it..part of their job description..."...

Two years on you realise: " Geez I'm glad we live here with friendly folk, who say 'G'day, how are ya' as part of the norm, rather than shop assistants who grunt at you and chuck your change over the counter......"

Couldn't agree more
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Will the REAL Australia please step forward?

Originally Posted by CasG
Thinking that you had only just got through that amber light, and then looking in your mirror to see 6 other cars following you through..
LOL, that one is just so true...!

BTW, one of those people behind you was probably me.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 4:56 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

The distinct lack of welded on chewing gum blobs on the pavements surrounded by fag butts!!!

Im not saying none but sooooooooooo much less than here in blighty.

Nev.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Waking up to sunshine
Endless parks, picnic spots and areas of interest
No crowds of people and traffic at the above
No Parking fees to pay at the above
Traffic Lights !!!
Every kind of fast food joint everywhere
Huge indoor shopping centres everywhere
Alcohol consumption on work premises on a regular basis (not me!)
Large open plan airy houses
Swimming pool in garden (ours is nearly ready)
Fishing (great fun for all the family)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.