Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

will radios work in australia?

will radios work in australia?

Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default will radios work in australia?

If i take a radio from the uk to australia will it work there?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:43 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

If you are asking because of the frequency of a radio the answer is yes uk radios will tune in ozzie stations
If the question relates to the electrical voltage the answer is also yes.
The official voltages of uk and australia are now 230 volts, with 240v being acceptable. More importantly is the cycles or frequency in hertz which is 50 htz in both countries, meaning that you can use any electrical equipment in either country and it will work properly. You just need to buy the correct plugs.

The electrical frequency is very important, especially for items with motors or clocks.

I sent a clock radio from canada to the uk together with a transformer that went from 230v to 120v which is the voltage in canada however, the clock wouldnt keep time because the frequency is different in uk to canada.

for world voltages see here:

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful what you tune into. There is a disturbing amount of country music and talk back radio.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:51 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, dont expect to hear tony blackburn crying though
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:57 pm

Just do some google searches of John Laws. It is very disturbing how popular the man is.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:03 pm
Banned

Yeah hes been going a long time, 50 years or more. Mind you, stations like 2ue are pretty ancient themselves.
I had the producer phone me just because I answered someones call for an old song in the daily telegraph. They put my live on the air because they couldnt find the song themselves !!

Oh, It was called "Grandma's Lye Soap". I had to email it to them in 4 parts since the mp3 was too big for my mail client.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:06 pm

Default Hell

Imagine this. A cruise hosted by John Laws. Entertainment includes country music and John Laws poems.

I would jump overboard.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:18 pm
Banned

hahaha, I dont know his poetry but my partner says its pretty shocking, she told me to go look some up but I think I'll pass
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:50 pm
Banned

no the picture wont be upside down, but the content will still be crap !
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:19 pm

And you won't be able to hear it.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Is the indy station triple j still going ?. Great station.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:11 pm
Banned

triple j is still going. I think a lot of stations are live online so if you want to listen to oz while in uk or visa versa you can
Old Sep 11th 2003, 1:04 am

Triple j is available on the ABC website. www.abc.net.au

The abc is one of the savings graces of TV here as it shows british programs