Reload this Page >

Will our DVD player work?

Will our DVD player work?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

vicstick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will our DVD player work?

Hi
Just wondering. We bought a little DVD player about 2 years ago. Our children have a lot of favourite films to bring. We know our TV won't work out there but will our player connect to Aussie TV (and work?)
Also what about DVD's bought in UK? Do they have to be region 4 to work in Aussie DVD player?
Cheers,
V
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our DVD player work?

It will work with UK DVDs, but if it is region free, it will work with all DVDs.

Region free players are far more common in Aus than in UK- we are struggling to get one here to play our mix of Aus and UK DVDs (regions 2 and 4)
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vicstick
Hi
Just wondering. We bought a little DVD player about 2 years ago. Our children have a lot of favourite films to bring. We know our TV won't work out there but will our player connect to Aussie TV (and work?)
Also what about DVD's bought in UK? Do they have to be region 4 to work in Aussie DVD player?
Cheers,
V
why wont your tv work?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

vicstick is an unknown quantity at this point

It's about 12 years old and the size of a small house , We were under the impression that it wouldn't be worth bringing it. Friend's older TV didn't work on that side of world.
V
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's about 12 years old and the size of a small house , We were under the impression that it wouldn't be worth bringing it. Friend's older TV didn't work on that side of world.
V
My UK TV works absolutely fine. Seize the opportunity to update to update to a colour model.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

V
all the uk tvs ive seen in aus work fine, tvs are cheap in aus to be fair, i think you can get a 42" for around 5-600 $, ive got a el cheapo tv 42" plenty good enough for my lot, i remember speaking to some prat on hear before we left who told me most electrical goods wont work properly in aus, well they mostly all do, maybe he thought because they were upside down they wouldnt work!!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Region free players are far more common in Aus than in UK- we are struggling to get one here to play our mix of Aus and UK DVDs (regions 2 and 4)
Have you tried googling your DVD model and "region free"? It's fairly easy to 'crack' a DVD player and set it region free, usually just a case of pressing some buttons on the remote in a particular order.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:04 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Not all UK TVs will work in Aus, and I suspect that one 12yo will be one of the ones that that doesn't. However Aus is changing to digital so you could get a set top box and plug it into your TV.

The DVD player will work but Aus TVs don't come with SCART connections (mainly because it's a technically poor connection). Most DVD players can be made multi-region so they can play disks from region 2 and 4. Put 'DVD player hacks' into google and you should find a site that will tell you how to do this for your player.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:07 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Olders style analog TV's from UK have a different reciever for the stereo audio, so you wil recieve a picture OK, but no sound.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It will work with UK DVDs, but if it is region free, it will work with all DVDs.

Just been into Good Guys in Brisbane cos my dvd player has finally breathed its last. The ONLY region free they do is $29 All their expensive stuff is region-tied.

I asked him what happened to Region-free and he reckons they are phasing them out........
The salesman did say that if I bought an Aus Region one I could unlock it with the "universal unlock code of L004" but as thats contrary to everything i've read about having to go online and find the right code for the player I took that with a pinch of salt. If I'm wrong and there now IS a universal unlock code I'll go back and get something flasher but for now $29 will do nicely. I've had problems in the past possessing one of very few dvd players that couldn't be unlocked by anyone anywhere.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:16 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just been into Good Guys in Brisbane cos my dvd player has finally breathed its last. The ONLY region free they do is $29 All their expensive stuff is region-tied.

I asked him what happened to Region-free and he reckons they are phasing them out........
The salesman did say that if I bought an Aus Region one I could unlock it with the "universal unlock code of L004" but as thats contrary to everything i've read about having to go online and find the right code for the player I took that with a pinch of salt. If I'm wrong and there now IS a universal unlock code I'll go back and get something flasher but for now $29 will do nicely. I've had problems in the past possessing one of very few dvd players that couldn't be unlocked by anyone anywhere.
I haven't managed to find an unlock code for the one in the car. L004 sounds suspiciously like Lock 004 Not sure what the L would be on the controler?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

You've probably already thought about this but find one you like then go home google it and if there is an unlock code then pop back to the store and buy it.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:34 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I haven't managed to find an unlock code for the one in the car. L004 sounds suspiciously like Lock 004 Not sure what the L would be on the controler?
Ring Good Guys at Lutwyche and ask for the gormless looking geek, maybe he can tell you? ;D

Originally Posted by tartankoala
You've probably already thought about this but find one you like then go home google it and if there is an unlock code then pop back to the store and buy it.
I did think about it but wanted one today to save walking round again next week!!! I have a kind-of impatient shopper brain with stuff like this, I prevaricate for weeks, then when I finally get to the shop I want it NOW. So the $29 will do till it karks it and I'll get something posher next time. The last one was free and second hand and klasted 2 years, and its only for viewing not recording so this will do!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Have you tried googling your DVD model and "region free"? It's fairly easy to 'crack' a DVD player and set it region free, usually just a case of pressing some buttons on the remote in a particular order.
Oohhh- thanks for that. Might trying buying a normal cheapie one rather than a more expensive region free
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Oohhh- thanks for that. Might trying buying a normal cheapie one rather than a more expensive region free
Shall I post you one of the $29 ones from Good Guys? They're small and light, wouldn't cost much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.