Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will our cat get eaten?

Will our cat get eaten?

Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by unrefined_mind
Someone has good sense of humour....
LOL!

Damn - I know which one I'd pick

BTW, Surfer meet Megs. Dont worry, you'll get used to him Surfer .
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by WBB
feed it to the cat.
Quality
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:22 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Will our cat get eaten?

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
That would be in addition to humans then?

But still this is nonsensical anthropomorphism. Who are we to judge whether an animal is having fun? It's also (once more) an unhelpful generalisation. Some cats might kill for what seems to be us to be fun. Any responsible cat owner will know their own pet's hunting habits. For example I know only too well that our cats eat what they kill (because they puke it up again on the carpet, charming eh?)

How would that help then? They'll just decimate their home wildlife then won't they?
Well, yes that would be in addition to humans...good point.

Cats don't always kill to eat. Whether that be 'fun' or not is not really the point is it. So your arrogant response regarding generalisation is irrelevant imo.

They find it a lot easier to go ferrel here than in the UK for what I would think were obvious reasons. If you cared about other animals (aside from cats) you might get the big picture.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:38 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Aways remember, a lady i moved to Roxby downs ,[Large mining town] On the edge of the Simpson Desert, out back sth AUST, tell me about watching ,out the kitchen window,her Seal point siamese, walk along the top of the fence,between her neighbours house. All of a sudden "bang " no cat, the last view she had of it , was the cat disappering ,into the distance clutched in the talons of a very large Wedge tailed eagle. ............. MM
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Cats are known to kill and eat more than 200 separate native species, including birds, mammals, marsupials, reptiles, frogs, and invertebrates.

Cats eat around five percent of their body weight each day. This may include native animals, introduced species (such as mice, rats, rabbits and introduced birds), and scraps and carrion around urban centres. This is the equivalent of one bush rat per day. One cat caught near Roxby Downs was found to have eaten almost thirty small reptiles, probably in the one day. (details here).

Twelve million feral cats killing animals every day. Even if only one animal in ten was native, it would be reasonable to assume that cats are responsible for killing hundreds of millions of individual native animals every year.

Feral cats are known to carry and spread disease such as toxoplasmosis which can be fatal for several native species, as well as causing sickness in other natives, livestock, and even humans.

Very informative site on cat ownership in Oz HERE

Last edited by unrefined_mind; Jun 9th 2004 at 11:14 am.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:04 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by chippy
So your arrogant response regarding generalisation is irrelevant imo.
Er, "arrogant"? Sorry, you've lost me. BTW I'm not interested in slanging matches, I'm trying to debate a valid point and clear up some widespread misunderstanding, or perhaps sloppy thinking would be a better description. Mind you, judging by other postings here and in the past, I'm up against gut reactions. There seem to be many people out there who hate cats for no rational reason. (As if hate itself could ever be rational. The human mind is a messy place.)

They find it a lot easier to go ferrel here than in the UK
I suppose you're going to call me arrogant again for correcting your spelling? It's "feral".

If you cared about ther animals (aside from cats) you might get the big picture.
You have no idea how I rank animals. Please don't make assumptions like that. In fact domestic cats are pretty low on my scale, down there with humans. Domestic dogs are not too great either. Or rabbits. I suppose hamsters are relatively harmless (ok now somebody tell me about the Great Hamster Explosion that decimated the Chinese population of Père David's deer in the 15th century).
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:08 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by unrefined_mind
... lots of stuff about cats...
Not the point!

Yes cats are merciless predators (hmph, try telling ours that. Oh yeah those cat biscuits don't stand a chance) but so are a whole lot of other species. Why oh why does everyone have it in for cats in particular. Did you all get nearly smothered as babies or what? I'll state my case, of which I'm certain... it's humans who wreck ecosystems, directly or indirectly.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:11 am
Class 2 Guru

By the way, yes I would quite happily go out and dispose of every single feral cat out there. Bl**dy nightmare. But at the same time I have no problem with responsible pet-cat ownership. Sterilisation is a wonderful thing.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Now this is just getting catty.........
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:16 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by Innyjim
Now this is just getting catty.........
Groan...
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Graham67
...Can anyone give us an idea of transfere costs, and how your own pets have settled in...
My friend has two cats on the Sunshine coast and they have settled almost too well...
Attached Thumbnails Will our cat get eaten?-sunbathers.jpg  
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:50 am
Class 2 Guru

It's time to provide the definitive answer to the original question.

"Will our cat get eaten?"

"No, but this thread will!"
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:55 am
WBB

Originally posted by mr mover
All of a sudden "bang " no cat, the last view she had of it , was the cat disappering ,into the distance clutched in the talons of a very large Wedge tailed eagle. ............. MM
now that i would like to of seen, natural justice....

TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:01 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by WBB
now that i would like to of seen, natural justice....

TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN.
Yeah, just redressing the balance a little! (Not that I would have been too pleased if it had been my cat. Especially one that I had shelled out real money for (which I assume it was, given that it was a Siamese).)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:07 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Er, "arrogant"? Sorry, you've lost me. BTW I'm not interested in slanging matches, I'm trying to debate a valid point and clear up some widespread misunderstanding, or perhaps sloppy thinking would be a better description. Mind you, judging by other postings here and in the past, I'm up against gut reactions. There seem to be many people out there who hate cats for no rational reason. (As if hate itself could ever be rational. The human mind is a messy place.)

I suppose you're going to call me arrogant again for correcting your spelling? It's "feral".

You have no idea how I rank animals. Please don't make assumptions like that. In fact domestic cats are pretty low on my scale, down there with humans. Domestic dogs are not too great either. Or rabbits. I suppose hamsters are relatively harmless (ok now somebody tell me about the Great Hamster Explosion that decimated the Chinese population of Père David's deer in the 15th century).

"It's also (once more) an unhelpful generalisation"

Yes. I do consider this arrogant. A prat like you comes on here judging what is/is'nt helpful. And "once more" as if you're tired of other peoples opinions.

And then again picking out speeling mistakes as if to point out a superior edjumication. Whether its spelt right or wrong, talking bollox is talking bollox.

Have a nice day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.