Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will my TV, DVD, Mobiles work in OZ

Will my TV, DVD, Mobiles work in OZ

Old May 21st 2011, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Seanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Will my TV, DVD, Mobiles work in OZ

Hi All, if my bring my TV and Dvd players to oz from Ireland (PAL) will they work?
I have a 48 in Plasma HD TV that I dont really want to leave behind...

Also will my IPhone work in OZ if I buy an OZ sim card... or will I end up having to get all new mobiles for all the family when I get there.
Thx
Old May 21st 2011, 10:46 pm
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Will my TV, DVD, Mobiles work in OZ

Originally Posted by Seanda
Also will my IPhone work in OZ if I buy an OZ sim card... or will I end up having to get all new mobiles for all the family when I get there.
Thx
If it's sim unlocked and will run on any network then yes.
Rule of thumb for iPhone 4:
If bought direct from Apple = unlocked
If on contract or bought on high street PAYG = locked.
Old May 21st 2011, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Seanda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lolcat
If it's sim unlocked and will run on any network then yes.
Rule of thumb for iPhone 4:
If bought direct from Apple = unlocked
If on contract or bought on high street PAYG = locked.
Hi have a monthly billpay iphone 3GS....
Old May 21st 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

TV: yes but you will need a new set top box
Mobile: yes with a new sim
DVD: Yes but disc here are region 4 not 2 so you may only be able to play your uk collection.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 77hil
Mobile: yes with a new sim
DVD: Yes but disc here are region 4 not 2 so you may only be able to play your uk collection.
The DVD can also be unlocked to play different regions DVD's. Google crack codes for your particular DVD model, follow the key strokes on the remote and off you go.
Old May 22nd 2011, 2:12 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
Not necessarily. Many TVs work if you change to a European country.

Originally Posted by Icecube
The DVD can also be unlocked to play different regions DVD's. Google crack codes for your particular DVD model, follow the key strokes on the remote and off you go.
Not all models can be software hacked.
Australia DVD players are not region coded (even though discs are) so will play UK discs.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Seanda
Hi All, if my bring my TV and Dvd players to oz from Ireland (PAL) will they work?
I have a 48 in Plasma HD TV that I dont really want to leave behind...

Thx
I looks as if your phone is locked as your on a pay monthly contract. Get it unlocked before you go to Oz.

It will save alot of aggrevation. If you want a cheap sim card in oz then try Just mobile or amaysim.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:49 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I looks as if your phone is locked as your on a pay monthly contract. Get it unlocked before you go to Oz.

It will save alot of aggrevation. If you want a cheap sim card in oz then try Just mobile or amaysim.
3 charged me £15 to unlock a Nokia phone. Not sure if it is the same for an Iphone, but I will be getting my HTC unlocked if I still have it, before we make the move.