Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will the last person left in Oz please turn off the lights

Will the last person left in Oz please turn off the lights

Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:59 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
That's the first time I have seen an actual figure quoted of UK born leaving Australia permanenty.

Info from: link

If that is about correct, and we compare that figure to the number of Permananet Visa issued annually to the British, we get a good idea of the actual % that do return.

The migration program for 2003-04 has 100,000 to 110,000 places available for migrants, how many will be from the UK ?

But it is only statistics
Those figures will not be correct for sure, and myself and countless others who leave (or will be leaving) Aus would not be included in the figures:

I don't know how you will get an accurate figure, as when I will be returning to the UK, I'll be using an Aussie passport, so I will be included in the Aussies (overseas born) leaving . ( the 49% figure), BUT I probably won't decalre that I'm emigratingfrom Aus permanently ( and I suspect that a lot of other people don't either).. so I on the other hand I WON"T be in that 49% figure, or that 50,463 figure.. like countless other people too

This one from your link: Of the 50,463 persons (if I do not declare that I am leaving permanently like countless of others holding citizenship.. this 50,463 figure is wrong and would in fact be higher) who departed permanently in 2002-03, 49 per cent were born overseas

"Statistics on permanent departures are based on information .provided by passengers (ie I will not be declaring that I'm leaving permanently.. and thousands upon thousands of others holding citizenship do the same too ) as they leave Australia. The statistics provide a picture of trends, although the available figures do not totally represent the emigration picture".

I suspect a lot of Brit's that leave Aus are Australian citizens. like me , they take out citizenship and then return to their own countries, and they don't declare (on passenger lists)that they are leaving Aus permanently either.. so you will never get a true are figure of how many people leave Aus, the figures quoted would in "real life" be a lot higher.
They take out citizenship because they know they will be leaving.. and not to burn bridges.. ie if I was staying here I would stay PR.. I never wanted Citizenship for years, and certainly would not take out citizenship if I was staying here, and I will not be declaring anything either when I do leave, like the countless of others who leave Aus too
cheers
.................................................. ....................................
P.s I keep editing this..lol, just reading through my post and edited where I haven't made it clear, I'm not editing anything major .. I'm just changing my odd words.. like "returning" ( sound as if I'm returning to Aus, to put it that way)to changing it to "returning to their countries of birth" , as my original post looked a bit unclear when I read through it myself.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 21st 2004 at 4:44 am.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:19 am
ABCDiamond

Correct, and as Bondi said : There was a recent thread which looked at this and duting the nineties it was about 35% return rate. As ABC says all bloody stats.

There are some flaws in the technique used that double counts the no of new residents and undercounts the no of leavers.

If my own arrivals and departures count, I came here permanently once, left permanently once, arrived as a visitor 8 times, and departed as a visitor 7 times. Yet I am actually legally here permanently !!

Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

I suspect a lot of Brit's that leave Aus are Australian citizens. like me , they take out citizenship and then return to their own countries, and they don't declare (on passenger lists)that they are leaving Aus permanently either.. so you will never get a true are figure of how many people leave Aus, the figures quoted would in "real life" be a lot higher.
They take out citizenship because they know they will be leaving.. and not to burn bridges.. ie if I was staying here I would stay PR.. I never wanted Citizenship for years, and certainly would not take out citizenship if I was staying here, and I will not be declaring anything either when I do leave, like the countless of others who leave Aus too
cheers
confused...so you have citizenship because you may decide to come back? Or you want to give your kids a chance to come over here...?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, and as Bondi said : There was a recent thread which looked at this and duting the nineties it was about 35% return rate. As ABC says all bloody stats.

There are some flaws in the technique used that double counts the no of new residents and undercounts the no of leavers.

If my own arrivals and departures count, I came here permanently once, left permanently once, arrived as a visitor 8 times, and departed as a visitor 7 times. Yet I am actually legally here permanently !!
Yes, but do you like Redcliffe?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Yes, but do you like Redcliffe?

Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:20 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by wombatboy
confused...so you have citizenship because you may decide to come back? Or you want to give your kids a chance to come over here...?
I collect passports.. I'm going for my third soon ( I come and I go..lol.)
seriously , for many reasons..I'll try to list a few of them:
future kids ( they can come here, or even NZ if they wish)
embassies (choices)
business .. we can walk back in this country.. we are opening up a "new" ( to do with motor sport/designing ( ahh not telling!) ... we are actually in heavy industry at the moment, the motor sport bit is an ongoing hobby - and on going project, been years in the making) international business in Wales , already got the wheels in motion,( actually concentrating on Europe, as that is the far greater market.. may put a branch out here too, so holding a citizenship visa will benefit us, also keeping house on here too)

P.S it's deadcliffe!

i.e. don't burn bridges
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:25 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Ceri

P.S it's deadcliffe!
hehe sorry .
Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ceri

seriously , for many reasons..I'll try to list a few of them:
future kids ( they can come here, or even NZ if they wish)
embassies (choices)
business .. we can walk back in this country.. we are opening up a "new" ( to do with motor sport/designing ( ahh not telling!) ... we are actually in heavy industry at the moment, the motor sport bit is an ongoing hobby - and on going project, been years in the making) international business in Wales , already got the wheels in motion,( actually concentrating on Europe, as that is the far greater market.. may put a branch out here too, so holding a citizenship visa will benefit us, also keeping house on here too)
good luck with it all - hope it all works out!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Now now Mike
You know you should not discuss issues like this on here.
Have you forgotten this is the Fantasy forum

Don't go spoiling it with all that Real life nonsense!

G
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Grayling
Now now Mike

G
It's all real life on here. I keep the fantasy in my head, I don't share that with anyone

It's just that we all live "different" real lifes

Just think how bad it would be if we were all the same

Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It's all real life on here. I keep the fantasy in my head, I don't share that with anyone

It's just that we all live "different" real lifes

Just think how bad it would be if we were all the same

I wonder how many real Aussies- that is born and raised leave their Motherland to emigrate permanently compared to Brits? The difference seems to be that most Aussies that leave only go for a few years, where as more Brits leave for good. Most Aussies would not contemplate leaving their country for good. Maybe only us Brits are crazy enough to!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:32 am
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Now now Mike

G

Whats with all this "real life" b*ll*x?

I gather from that piece of sarcasm, you think that only bad news, glum statistics and humbug is reality? Sorry to disappoint, but theres plenty of us about who are living happiness as a REALITY.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
I wonder how many real Aussies- that is born and raised leave their Motherland to emigrate permanently compared to Brits? The difference seems to be that most Aussies that leave only go for a few years, where as more Brits leave for good. Most Aussies would not contemplate leaving their country for good.
Surprisingly, a look at the DIMIA stats shows that this is not the case.

An increasing number of Oz-born Aussies are leaving Oz permanently. Eg of all those that departed permanently, % that were Oz-born:

in 1982-83: 24%

in 1992-93: 35%

in 2002-03: 51%

Not as severe as NZ, where ~25% of NZ-born live overseas - I assume because of work. NZ has lovely views, but you can't live on scenery!

Last edited by MikeStanton; Apr 21st 2004 at 11:01 am.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

ace ventura is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Or John Bull whispers in this instance.

He's to busy supporting a strike somewhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.