Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will I find work in the building industry.

Will I find work in the building industry.

Old Feb 27th 2003, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Big Kahuna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will I find work in the building industry ???.

Does anyone have any idea what the general state of the building industry is and the chances of getting work?. We're looking at Brisbane or Adelaide.

I work in drywall (plasterboard), ie ceilings, partitioning etc... as a self employed sub-contractor. Wages here are pretty good I guess and I'm wondering how they compare. Do workers work on a 'price' ( $ per amount of work done) or is everyone paid by the hour ?. Any help or experiences would be a great help to my Wife and I , and with our decision to proceed or not.

Thanks

Karen and Kev

Last edited by Big Kahuna; Feb 27th 2003 at 7:39 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleW is an unknown quantity at this point

my husband is a bricklayer and we too were concerned about wages. Mostly what I have found out is that the wages are going to be about 1/3 less than here - but you are compensated through the lower cost of living.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 8:57 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MichelleW
my husband is a bricklayer and we too were concerned about wages. Mostly what I have found out is that the wages are going to be about 1/3 less than here - but you are compensated through the lower cost of living.
Hi
Likewise, hubby is a self employed carpenter, we too are concerned about the low wages. I suppose what Michelle is saying is right but can't seem to get my head around it once you start converting $ to £.....
I know everybody keeps saying don't convert the money but it is a natural thing to do.
We are looking at Brisbane also we probably wouldn't have to have a mortgage once we have sold our house, so hubby wouldn't have to work so hard. Hopefully being able to spend more time with the kids (in the sun!!).
We are waiting for our medicals and police checks to be requested.
Good luck everyone
Debs
Old Feb 27th 2003, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a concern of many people in the building game, as things here are pretty good at the moment with lack of skilled workers and shortage of housing the prices seem to be getting better.
Even though it will be a big drop in wages I personally feel it will be a better quality of life in Aus. And if we can't make ends meet after a couple of years then it will be a sad jorney back home.

Terry
Old Feb 28th 2003, 12:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I find work in the building industry ???.

Originally posted by Big Kahuna
Does anyone have any idea what the general state of the building industry is and the chances of getting work?. We're looking at Brisbane or Adelaide.

I work in drywall (plasterboard), ie ceilings, partitioning etc... as a self employed sub-contractor. Wages here are pretty good I guess and I'm wondering how they compare. Do workers work on a 'price' ( $ per amount of work done) or is everyone paid by the hour ?. Any help or experiences would be a great help to my Wife and I , and with our decision to proceed or not.

Thanks

Karen and Kev
Perth is booming building wise but nearly all the work is priced , but having my head bit off last night in the OB , by the lads in the building trade for telling them how good they have it , I would say most just keep their head above water.
The builders hammer the prices down on any sign of a down turn so most of the guys will not take on apprentices because they fear the builders getting the upper hand with more skilled guys looking for work many are anti immigration of building workers they see this as a plus for the builders its dog eat dog.

Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
its dog eat dog.
in the back of a ute, presumably PB?
Old Feb 28th 2003, 1:10 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by colin
in the back of a ute, presumably PB?
The dogs a tax benefit it guards the tools on the back of the company car , you understand all these brickies are company directors?

Old Feb 28th 2003, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

some one has gota be making money somewere other wise were is it all going
Old Feb 28th 2003, 8:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Karen and Kev
Hey Kev,
Don't worry about jobs for dryliners, most places aren't fully skimmed like the U.K they're just filled and taped dryliner style so you should be well in.
Sorry about the delay in answering but I only see the aussie chippie who works for us in the pub on a Friday teatime and I wasn't 100% sure so checked with him tonight. He was a bit vague with his description "they just fill the tapered edge boards with ready mixed stuff from a tub tape the joint and smoothe it out"
I guess he's not used to proper beer yet.
Sean
Old Mar 1st 2003, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Big Kahuna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cresta57
Hey Kev,
Don't worry about jobs for dryliners, most places aren't fully skimmed like the U.K they're just filled and taped dryliner style so you should be well in.
Sorry about the delay in answering but I only see the aussie chippie who works for us in the pub on a Friday teatime and I wasn't 100% sure so checked with him tonight. He was a bit vague with his description "they just fill the tapered edge boards with ready mixed stuff from a tub tape the joint and smoothe it out"
I guess he's not used to proper beer yet.
Sean
Thanks Sean,

That's what I do most the time - taping and jointing(filling gaps and smoothing them out ) so that's good news. I try to avoid carrying too many plasterboards these days !!.

Can your chippe pal tell me how 'subbies' work out there, ie price/ daywork ? is there much going on, etc. Any info greatly received- going through the 'jittery' stage at the moment :scared:

Regards
Kev
Old Mar 1st 2003, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default Waterfront Place (Brisbane) Subcontractors

As it's always difficult to know who's who in a particular City you may wish to examine this Fitout Guide for Waterfront Place (refer last page for contact details).

http://www.waterfrontpl.com.au/docum...itoutguide.pdf (Requires Acrobat Reader)

This link may also be handy http://www.infolink.com.au/default.asp
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 11:15 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Thanks

Karen and Kev
Big Kahuna,

From what I've been told from my brother-in-law in Brisbane, there is a lot of building work going on here, especially residentual. I've also read that it is the fastest growing city in the country. Remember that virtually all residentual work there is timber frame, and is totally dry-lined.

I'm a self employed subbie carpenter and share your concerns (no-one likes daywork!). My mate who worked as a tacker & jointer out there about 7-8 years ago (he's back here now) said that its quite 'unionised' and I'm not sure I like the sound of that, although I need to find out more about this.
Old Mar 2nd 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Now that they have opened the Pacific Motorway south of Cudgen (just South of the Qld Border) I expect there will be lots of residential / holiday home construction between Kingscliffe & Pottsville. Much like Casurina Beach which is now taking shape on what I remember as pristine natural beach front.

So too I see the possiblity of large complexes of houses near Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast.

That said there is talk of the market getting saturated.