Wild camping

Old Sep 4th 2015, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wild camping

I've been going on road trips most weekends now, just chuck the tent and fishing rods in the back. Seems like camping is banned for QLD outside of designated areas. According to people in some forums its not really an issue in practice if you are not causing a nuisance and avoiding major tourist spots. Does anyone have experience in wild camping?

I have been slowly exploring 4 hours drive radius of Brisbane. I was shocked to find such diversity of scenery - ranging from highlands pastoral to squalid stretches of scorched earth. For some reason I had been under the impression that anything more than 100km from the coast was ugly and/or desert. Many Australians I have met also subscribe to this myth.

I will be posting a google earth map of my journeys with comments and photos and possibly narratives when I get my dashcam.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 10:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wild camping

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I've been going on road trips most weekends now, just chuck the tent and fishing rods in the back. Seems like camping is banned for QLD outside of designated areas. According to people in some forums its not really an issue in practice if you are not causing a nuisance and avoiding major tourist spots. Does anyone have experience in wild camping?

I have been slowly exploring 4 hours drive radius of Brisbane. I was shocked to find such diversity of scenery - ranging from highlands pastoral to squalid stretches of scorched earth. For some reason I had been under the impression that anything more than 100km from the coast was ugly and/or desert. Many Australians I have met also subscribe to this myth.

I will be posting a google earth map of my journeys with comments and photos and possibly narratives when I get my dashcam.
Often went camping from my teens through to mid-thirties. Never heard it called 'wild camping' before - it was just camping. If you stayed in a caravan park or a designated camping spot, it didn't count as camping (too many luxuries there, like drinking water).

You know different people to me - most Australians I know appreciate the diversity of the Australian terrain. I've camped in the middle of the Goldfields, karri forests and by the ocean. We took everything - from drinking water, fuel and food, to tents, CB radio and comprehensive first aid kits. Good times.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 11:49 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

You can camp just about anywhere as long as you have the landowner's permission. It's getting that permission that can be tricky, particularly when dealing with large pastoral properties. State forests and national parks usually have designated camping areas which may be charged for.

Download Wikicamps, which lists lots of camp sites, both free and charged, although most are aimed at tourists rather than the sort of camping you are after.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 12:17 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Years of camping in the bush, I've never heard the saying "wild camping" either, but then again I've only been in oz for two decades?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Years of camping in the bush, I've never heard the saying "wild camping" either, but then again I've only been in oz for two decades?
Well that explains it Teza, you've practically only just arrived

I was intrigued so I Googled the term. It seems to be mainly used in the UK, and is used for the type of camping you and I have done, rather than the caravan park/designated camping ground experience.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:33 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

so going bush for few days is going wild? Wish I knew that in my teenage years
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Well that explains it Teza, you've practically only just arrived

I was intrigued so I Googled the term. It seems to be mainly used in the UK, and is used for the type of camping you and I have done, rather than the caravan park/designated camping ground experience.