Wii

Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Kingswood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wii

We bought a Wii in oz march 07, returned to uk- works fine with OZ & UK games. Completed the big move to Perth via Hong Kong- son bought 6 Wii games there but they will not play on the machine any techy's out there with a solution?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wii

Originally Posted by Kingswood
We bought a Wii in oz march 07, returned to uk- works fine with OZ & UK games. Completed the big move to Perth via Hong Kong- son bought 6 Wii games there but they will not play on the machine any techy's out there with a solution?
No solution, the Wii is region locked so as it is Australian will only play Australian games and most if not all UK games.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:23 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future
Default psp

you sound like just the person to answer this problem, PSP where do we buy our son one UK, Singapore or Oz we r moving out in a few weeks..
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: psp

Originally Posted by daveplumber
you sound like just the person to answer this problem, PSP where do we buy our son one UK, Singapore or Oz we r moving out in a few weeks..
PSP is region free as far as games go but is region locked for the movies you can buy for it. If your son wants to be able to buy the UMD movies for it then get the Australian version. I personally have the japanese version and don't bother buying the UMD movies. There is software you can buy to enable you to copy your DVDs to a memory card and watch them via the PSP so not being able to buy australian UMDs has never been an issue. Let me know if you need anymore help
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Kingswood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teliko21
No solution, the Wii is region locked so as it is Australian will only play Australian games and most if not all UK games.
Cheers teliko21, we're a bit gutted but hope might be around the corner. Popped into a games shop and they inadvertantly suggested we get the Wii chipped - I'll let you know what happens.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kingswood
Cheers teliko21, we're a bit gutted but hope might be around the corner. Popped into a games shop and they inadvertantly suggested we get the Wii chipped - I'll let you know what happens.
Haha excellent news! I hadn't realised this was possible yet but good luck with it
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Don't worry about where to buy the PSP, just get the cheapest one. They're easily modified (no chip required) to play 'backup' games, or play movies directly from a memory stick as opposed to inserting a disc.

Cheers

Steve
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Teliko21
PSP is region free as far as games go but is region locked for the movies you can buy for it. If your son wants to be able to buy the UMD movies for it then get the Australian version. I personally have the japanese version and don't bother buying the UMD movies. There is software you can buy to enable you to copy your DVDs to a memory card and watch them via the PSP so not being able to buy australian UMDs has never been an issue. Let me know if you need anymore help
There is software you can buy to enable you to copy your DVDs to a memory card
what is this software called,never watched any movies on the psp yet
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

My son has a European wii, and he has bought and is playing Australian wii games on it!

We asked instore in Perth, and Australia has the same wii pal as Europe!! He was right cos we bought games and they work.

So anyone with a European wii can bring it and purchase Australian games!

My son is on a school trip to Perth this week and probably sneaking to the games shop to purchase more games with his spending money!

Also DS handheld consoles are region free.

GEMS
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:50 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

My son has a European wii, and he has bought and is playing Australian wii games on it!

We asked instore in Perth, and Australia has the same wii pal as Europe!! He was right cos we bought games and they work.

So anyone with a European wii can bring it and purchase Australian games!

My son is on a school trip to Perth this week and probably sneaking to the games shop to purchase more games with his spending money!

Also DS handheld consoles are region free.

GEMS
Wii games are region free - but use either the PAL (UK and Oz etc) system, or the NTSC (US etc) system. If you buy games from abroad, make sure their system is compatible with the PAL/NTSC system of the Wii you purchased...
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:13 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We would love to bring a Wii from Canada because it's a lot cheaper. But I don't think it will work.

First, Canada uses NSTC and I don't think our TV will play that format. And also, there's the power issue. But I think the Wii is dual voltage.

Even if I could overcome that, could I bring a Canadian Wii and play Oz games? I called and asked Nintendo and they seemed to suggest that the games are region locked.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:19 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
We would love to bring a Wii from Canada because it's a lot cheaper. But I don't think it will work.

First, Canada uses NSTC and I don't think our TV will play that format. And also, there's the power issue. But I think the Wii is dual voltage.

Even if I could overcome that, could I bring a Canadian Wii and play Oz games? I called and asked Nintendo and they seemed to suggest that the games are region locked.

You will only be able to play NTSC games on an NTSC format Wii - so you would need to order them from other NTSC regions via the internet.
Most modern tellys (in my experience) will play both NTSC and PAL format inputs (DVD, games consoles, videos etc), so that should not be a problem - but check out your own telly specs.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:22 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well we bought a brand new plasma a few months ago, so I didn't think it would be a problem either. Will the TV's just automatically play, or is there a way to switch it over? I looked in the manual and it only mentioned playing PAL format, so I'm confused.

As for the games, I'm not as worried about that. The games are actually cheaper in Canada as well so if we can bring the Wii over we'll just make sure to get a bunch of games too. We have two sets of relatives coming in the next few months so we'll be able to bring lots of stuff over.

So, if the power will work and it will play on our TV then we can give it a try.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

from what I understand from my brother (has a US Wii) and Nintendo, the games ARE region locked. Australia and Europe are basically the same region so those games will work on the console from the other region. But buying games from Japan or USA to play on a European or Australian Wii WILL NOT WORK.

My brother tried buying some games from the UK to play on his Wii just to see if it would work and it doesn't, sorry.

If Canada is NTSC (I had always thought they were PAL for some reason) then I wouldn't buy a console from there unless you plan on importing all your games form overseas. There is a company I use in Japan to get the region free Xbox games from as they work out at half price (just got NTSC CSI from them for approx $50 and it will be closer to $100 when it is released here. So you could always order US NTSC games from an asian company and have them shipped to Australia but if there is something you want desperately you won't be able to just walk into a shop here and buy it, you would have to wait for the mailman
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:30 am
Full Throttle

Well we bought a brand new plasma a few months ago, so I didn't think it would be a problem either. Will the TV's just automatically play, or is there a way to switch it over? I looked in the manual and it only mentioned playing PAL format, so I'm confused.

As for the games, I'm not as worried about that. The games are actually cheaper in Canada as well so if we can bring the Wii over we'll just make sure to get a bunch of games too. We have two sets of relatives coming in the next few months so we'll be able to bring lots of stuff over.

So, if the power will work and it will play on our TV then we can give it a try.
All I can say is that my OZ PAL tv show NTSC dvd's from my DVD player without any setting changes, so would think it would be the same for you.

The only way to be 100% sure would be to contact the TV manufactuer and ask if it will display NTSC inputs (this may be in the instruction manual).

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.