wifi broadband

Old May 19th 2007, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Andy & Max is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wifi broadband

Probably been asked before will a uk wireless router work in Australia?
Andy
Old May 19th 2007, 5:31 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of
Default Re: wifi broadband

Originally Posted by Andy & Max
Probably been asked before will a uk wireless router work in Australia?
Andy
yes, the wireless standard is the wireless standard.
Old May 20th 2007, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
yes, the wireless standard is the wireless standard.
yes am posting from my garden right now!
Lisa.xx
Old May 20th 2007, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Yes and no. Make sure it supports 802.11a/b/g. If it supports 802.11n or something that is not a/b/g then you may have a problem. Also, there are known problems with wireless routers not communicating with the ADSL modems that your ISP provides. At then end of the day the box is small enough to make little difference so you may aswell take it with you
Old May 20th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Hhhmm, I wish I' seen this post a minute ago cos I've just asked the same question.

Its OK saying its small enough so that it doesn't make a difference but I am just about to buy one and I needed to make sure it was gunna work Ok.

To the guy sitting in his garden, yep, thats what I want to do. Did you need to get one with a big range or will they all do that?

What model do you have?

Cheers

Jazzys
Old May 20th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hhhmm, I wish I' seen this post a minute ago cos I've just asked the same question.

Its OK saying its small enough so that it doesn't make a difference but I am just about to buy one and I needed to make sure it was gunna work Ok.

To the guy sitting in his garden, yep, thats what I want to do. Did you need to get one with a big range or will they all do that?

What model do you have?

Cheers

Jazzys
crieky, no idea, its the girl sitting in the garden, it has a pretty large area, we have a 5 acre block and can access in every corner of the block.

i think it was netgear
Old May 20th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a 5 acre range would do me. HaHa, about 15 feet would do http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...s/thumbsup.gif
Old May 21st 2007, 7:11 am
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by discobay
Yes and no. Make sure it supports 802.11a/b/g. If it supports 802.11n or something that is not a/b/g then you may have a problem. Also, there are known problems with wireless routers not communicating with the ADSL modems that your ISP provides. At then end of the day the box is small enough to make little difference so you may aswell take it with you
802.11n is backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g

What make and model of wireless are you considering bringing. One thing to check is the power lead. If it is the type that has the power brick (AC to DC converter) built into the plug then you will need a travel adaptor to use it.

I brought over a couple of wireless devices and they worked fine, infact, the firmware on the devices let me choose Australia as my location!
Old May 21st 2007, 7:21 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Yes and make sure your security is enabled. Broadband is expensive here and you are quota-ed every month or you might find you've been shaped and have a very slow service!
Old May 21st 2007, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anewlife
802.11n is backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g
But it's not compatible with itself and not confirmed by the 802.11 Task Group.
Old May 21st 2007, 11:28 am
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wi-Fi Broadband

Originally Posted by discobay
But it's not compatible with itself and not confirmed by the 802.11 Task Group.
Strictly speaking true

There are currently no 802.11n devices on the market, there are only pre-802.11n devices or as they are more commonly known Draft-N devices. The current draft definition of 802.11n is not due for ratification until Sept 2008. Then we can purchase and use 802.11n devices. It is also true to say that current Draft-N devices may not be compatible, and therefore may not work, with the final 802.11n specification devices.

However, current Draft-N devices are compatible with 802.11a/b/g devices.

Amazingly off-topic I know, so I shall say no more