Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wifes back from shopping

Wifes back from shopping

Old May 11th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wifes back from shopping

[QUOTE=Jimclevs]
Originally Posted by cranni
You can get things a lot cheaper than that, dont panic.
washing machine 700 dollars, front loader, 7.5 Harvey Norman
Fridge freezer stainless steel, $2000 Harvey Norman
Dishwasher $800 Harvey Norman
Vacuum cleaner $200 Harvey Norman
Just shop around, and you will always get discount.
Denise[/QUOTE

Harvey Norman
BUT there are many other stores which are cheaper, we just went there and they delivered everything straight away for us.

So which store was it that you did your shopping around then, Denise

Jim
Old May 11th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]
Originally Posted by thebears

Asko is an excellent brand; typical European quality. Good choice.

Fisher & Paykel is a Kiwi brand; their appliances tend to be very high-tech, with lots of electronic goodies built in. Quality is excellent; I have mates here in the UK with a huge stainless steel F&P fridge, and they swear by it.
Anyway if you can afford it, it is up to you.
But about the condenser drier, i have looked everywhere for one and cant find one. I had one in UK and they are brill. Ill keep looking.
I probably would pay the extra.
You do get what you pay for [sometimes]
Denise
Old May 12th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Vash What brand(s)? - Asko - have never heard of them - she walked in too look for Miele.
5 Kg dryer Condenser - so we dont need any external plumbing or pipes. It also apparently prevents clothes from shrinking - so there goes that excuse.
6 Kg 1400 RPM Washer (like I really know what this means )

Our Miele vacum cleaner broke down the day we moved out - after 12 years of abuse and 8 house moves I think it was time also for a new one. Unfortuately we would not of been able to ship it as the container had left and we were already 43KG over ( including migrates allowance).

Fridge is frost-free - we are now worried it might be too big but thats life (my wife soon got used to it)

Crikey, must be a monster! Is it digital and/or widescreen? I would have bought a standard 21-inch CRT and saved a few $.
Whats CRT? - its a 23 inch Sony Brativ??? we needed one because our is being used in the study for our UK regional DVD's. Needed it to be flat to fit in the kitchen/living area without becoming a focal point.

Yeah, they're all fine; good prices. Would be interested to know the brands, and the power output of the oil heaters if you know them.

2400W Delonghi oil heaters - we choose these over the electricity heaters and there were no other brands too compare with.

Did your wife get everything at the same place, or did she visit various shops?
All from same shop so everything can be delivered together. And we got hopefully a reasonable discount.

Kiwi
can imagine your face when Oh showed you her shopping list.

Vash is right, your OH did make a good choice with Asko, the swedish miele brand. true, Bosch is not worth buying.

It is no point in buying any cheap washing maschine, the power/water consumption can be enormous besides the fact that Miele/Asko drums are made of better material. Although their is a star rating sticker on washing maschines it doesn't mean much in this country. Only from July onwards, the rating is measured as a result of water consumption and washing result. So far, there are some washing maschines out there which have a 5star rating only because they simply reduced the rinsing to 2 cycles instead of 3 cycles. But as I said the regulator has taken steps that consumers can better compare those products.

I have a Dyson and hate it. they are heavy, clumsy but suck well. i definately would buy a Miele if I had to choose again.

I find Harvey Norman is one of the most expensive retailers in perth. Eg, on some items they put RRP 499, and sell it then for $469, when you look up the manufacturers website, the RRP is $449.

Last edited by Evelin; May 12th 2006 at 12:16 am.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=cranni]
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Anyway if you can afford it, it is up to you.
But about the condenser drier, i have looked everywhere for one and cant find one. I had one in UK and they are brill. Ill keep looking.
I probably would pay the extra.
You do get what you pay for [sometimes]
Denise
Maytag has a condenser drier
http://www.maytag.com.au/products_MDC1305AAW.asp

most Miele are condenser too.

Last edited by Evelin; May 12th 2006 at 12:24 am.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Evelin]
Originally Posted by cranni

Maytag has a condenser drier
http://www.maytag.com.au/products_MDC1305AAW.asp

most Miele are condenser too.
good on yeh mate [thats mi aussie accent]
I will shop around and see where i can get one.
Thanks
Old May 12th 2006, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I am sitting here at that list!

Our fridge-freezer's a Westinghouse one (I think it's part of Electrolux as the electrolux log is on the instruction book alongside the Westinghouse logo). $499

Our washing machine is a Whirlpool - I think it was about $700, but I only wanted a bog-basic front-loader, didn't want all the bells and whistles as I only really use the 40C cotton or synthetic cycle.
Old May 12th 2006, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
I am sitting here at that list!

Our fridge-freezer's a Westinghouse one (I think it's part of Electrolux as the electrolux log is on the instruction book alongside the Westinghouse logo). $499

Our washing machine is a Whirlpool - I think it was about $700, but I only wanted a bog-basic front-loader, didn't want all the bells and whistles as I only really use the 40C cotton or synthetic cycle.
The Asko or Miele don't have any bells and whistles - they are known simply for being very reliable machines and are much quieter than other makes. You're not paying extra for extra functions but for the reliability.

Mrs JTL
Old May 12th 2006, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The Asko or Miele don't have any bells and whistles - they are known simply for being very reliable machines and are much quieter than other makes. You're not paying extra for extra functions but for the reliability.

Mrs JTL
Well, I've never had problems with the Whirlpool I had in the UK - 6yrs old and going strong. Only left it behind as SIL's machine broke
Old May 12th 2006, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've never had problems with the Whirlpool I had in the UK - 6yrs old and going strong. Only left it behind as SIL's machine broke
Have you tried standing a coin upright on your washer during the spin cycle? With the Miele (not sure about Asko), the coin doesn't roll off at all, and it's the quietest machine I'v ever used. Whether it's worth the extra $1000 or not is really a personal thing. Once you're converted to Miele, you don't look at anything else AND you keep justifying the price you've paid...
Old May 12th 2006, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I would have gone to Discount electrical centre aka "DEC" for the White goods, The 1500 dollars plus you would have saved could have gone on a decent stereo ...... Condenser dryers there are circa 800 bucks for European models.

I love valve amp sound I've got to admit to saving up for a decent Cheapish Stereo Circa 3,000 grand. Based around the Dared Imperial DV80 integrated amp., Mission speakers and a entry level Goldring turntable. Should be able to pick that lot up for less than 3,000
Old May 12th 2006, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Have you tried standing a coin upright on your washer during the spin cycle? With the Miele (not sure about Asko), the coin doesn't roll off at all, and it's the quietest machine I'v ever used. Whether it's worth the extra $1000 or not is really a personal thing. Once you're converted to Miele, you don't look at anything else AND you keep justifying the price you've paid...
LOL!

Now that the washer has it's own little room (I am loving the laundry room!) I just turn it on, shut the laundry room door, and leave it to it I couldn't give a tiny rats bottom whether it shakes or not LOL. As for the noise, well I can never hear it over the sound of the extractor fan in there so I'm happy
Old May 12th 2006, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I couldn't give a tiny rats bottom whether it shakes or not LOL.
Are you sure now? I always wonder why so many housewives don't want a quiet Miele which doesn't shake the Earth on spin cycle...

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; May 12th 2006 at 5:55 am. Reason: Changed signature from Mrs JTL to JTL to avoid being called a naughty girl!
Old May 12th 2006, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you sure now? I always wonder why so many housewives don't want a quiet Miele which doesn't shake the Earth on spin cycle...

JTL
I don't know what you mean
Old May 12th 2006, 6:08 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I would have gone to Discount electrical centre aka "DEC" for the White goods, The 1500 dollars plus you would have saved could have gone on a decent stereo ...... Condenser dryers there are circa 800 bucks for European models.

I love valve amp sound I've got to admit to saving up for a decent Cheapish Stereo Circa 3,000 grand. Based around the Dared Imperial DV80 integrated amp., Mission speakers and a entry level Goldring turntable. Should be able to pick that lot up for less than 3,000
When we ending up building I'll have you around for some advice on the boys room then mate?

Thinking a pool table, bar, stereo linked to a decent screen for the footy?

Kiwi
Old May 12th 2006, 6:10 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

The Askro apparently has its own internal suspension so the vibration is very little - sales guy told the wife even with a glass of water on the top you wouldnt see it move at all.#

We will see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.