The Wife

Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:05 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Wife

Hi we have been in Australia for 3 years now. My wife has recently been saying that she wants to move closer to home (but not back to the UK). Problem is I am happy where I am at the moment and don't really want to move.

My wife has a job offer in Asia which would be closer to home than Australia, but I am not really sure I want to go and we have been falling out about the issue recently.

Any ideas what I should do?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:34 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wife

In realistic and practical terms would moving closer to the UK, as in a move to Asia make any real difference to your wife? Would she really go back to the UK more often? Would family/friends really be more likely to make the trip out to visit you? Or is it all just a theoretical pipe dream that because you are geographically closer everything would be that much better? When it's a several hour flight costing hundreds of dollars it doesn't necessarily mean that there would genuinely be any more contact.

Is she really wanting this job? or is it just the location that appeals? Maybe if its just a missing the UK type thing, you could do a deal for more trips back to the UK?

I'm not being helpful am I - just asking more questions It's certainly one where sooner or later, you both need to sit down and talk it all out.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:40 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
In realistic and practical terms would moving closer to the UK, as in a move to Asia make any real difference to your wife? Would she really go back to the UK more often? Would family/friends really be more likely to make the trip out to visit you? Or is it all just a theoretical pipe dream that because you are geographically closer everything would be that much better? When it's a several hour flight costing hundreds of dollars it doesn't necessarily mean that there would genuinely be any more contact.

Is she really wanting this job? or is it just the location that appeals? Maybe if its just a missing the UK type thing, you could do a deal for more trips back to the UK?

I'm not being helpful am I - just asking more questions It's certainly one where sooner or later, you both need to sit down and talk it all out.
You have confirmed what I was thinking really. If the offer was dubai (or other ME country) I would consider it as it's only a 5 hour flight and 200 pounds to get to the UK/Europe.

We will have to try and sort it out. I think she is homesick and it will probably pass. I just don't want to her to make any rash decisions.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
You have confirmed what I was thinking really. If the offer was dubai (or other ME country) I would consider it as it's only a 5 hour flight and 200 pounds to get to the UK/Europe.

We will have to try and sort it out. I think she is homesick and it will probably pass. I just don't want to her to make any rash decisions.
Buy her a kitten!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by paddyo
Buy her a kitten!
Haha love the advice. I might just do that. We have one cat already but hey ho!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Haha love the advice. I might just do that. We have one cat already but hey ho!
Baby it is then
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Baby it is then
She definately won't like that idea.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:58 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Baby it is then
Never a truer word said in jest!!! Early in our marriage, like 6 years ago, we moved into a new home and I built a conservatory on it and even had a bespoke cat flap built in to it. I hate cats but my wife loves them and my concession to not having any more kids (ex Navy, got kids everywhere!!) was to let her have her 'cuddling fix' via her feline addiction!

That was the plan!

As soon as the conservatory was complete and resplendent with new Automative Cat Flap we found out that she was with child (god knows how these things happen!!). So now, we have a house in UK with new build conservatory and Automatic Catflap in pristine unused condition, a 4 year old demon child and STILL she wants a cat!! Grrrrr....or rather Purrrrrrr!!!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

So now, we have a house in UK with new build conservatory and Automatic Catflap in pristine unused condition, a 4 year old demon child and STILL she wants a cat!! Grrrrr....or rather Purrrrrrr!!![/QUOTE]

Can't you teach your kid to use it, at least then it wouldn't have been a complete waste of money
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:03 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by jond
So now, we have a house in UK with new build conservatory and Automatic Catflap in pristine unused condition, a 4 year old demon child and STILL she wants a cat!! Grrrrr....or rather Purrrrrrr!!!

Can't you teach your kid to use it, at least then it wouldn't have been a complete waste of money[/QUOTE]

Oh believe me he did try!!! But that was our UK house, we rent out in Sydney at the moment.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Hi we have been in Australia for 3 years now. My wife has recently been saying that she wants to move closer to home (but not back to the UK). Problem is I am happy where I am at the moment and don't really want to move.

My wife has a job offer in Asia which would be closer to home than Australia, but I am not really sure I want to go and we have been falling out about the issue recently.

Any ideas what I should do?
Where about in Asia? It may be closer on google earth but by god it doesn't feel closer when you live here. Not forgetting it's a 9-10 hour flight, still a big trip.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
Never a truer word said in jest!!! Early in our marriage, like 6 years ago, we moved into a new home and I built a conservatory on it and even had a bespoke cat flap built in to it. I hate cats but my wife loves them and my concession to not having any more kids (ex Navy, got kids everywhere!!) was to let her have her 'cuddling fix' via her feline addiction!

That was the plan!

As soon as the conservatory was complete and resplendent with new Automative Cat Flap we found out that she was with child (god knows how these things happen!!). So now, we have a house in UK with new build conservatory and Automatic Catflap in pristine unused condition, a 4 year old demon child and STILL she wants a cat!! Grrrrr....or rather Purrrrrrr!!!
great reply
you should of got the cat right away:-)