Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Widescreen TV Original Package!!

Wikiposts

Widescreen TV Original Package!!

Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road
Default Widescreen TV Original Package!!

Hi,
Hope somebody can advise!
We have a widescreen TV with original box. Is it safe to send it in that or do we need to pay extra for the Wood Box to be made to go around it as well. It cost £75 extra.
It would be great to hear about anyone's experiences Thanks.
Marie
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Widescreen TV Original Package!!

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi,
We have a widescreen TV with original box. Is it safe to send it in that or do we need to pay extra for the Wood Box to be made to go around it as well. It cost £75 extra.
Marie
Judging by the state our cardboard boxes were in when they arrived I would go for the wooden box. Nothing was broken mind you. Hubby had it well padded

Katie
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Judging by the state our cardboard boxes were in when they arrived I would go for the wooden box. Nothing was broken mind you. Hubby had it well padded

Katie
Thanks Katie,
Will speak to them in the morning and see what they think.
Marie
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Marie

Our experience was not a good one regarding our PANASONIC 32" S/S CRT Widescreen TV! It was DROPPED in transit - bloody heavy piece of equipment - so, front plastic panel busted, the shear weight when dropped must have done the damage as it just does not work anymore! Upsetting for us! (it was packed 'very' well too)!

I would opt for the WOOD BOX for piece of mind. We used a very reputable company 'Allied Pickfords' but still had problems!

Good news is - the insurance company paid up enough to buy a like for like replacement, but we put a bit extra and have now got an awesome 42" PLASMA TV - and its bloody great!

So, worked out alright in the end eh For me anyway the Film Buff of the family

Take care

Gill

Hi,
Marie
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi Marie

Our experience was not a good one regarding our PANASONIC 32" S/S CRT Widescreen TV! It was DROPPED in transit - bloody heavy piece of equipment - so, front plastic panel busted, the shear weight when dropped must have done the damage as it just does not work anymore! Upsetting for us! (it was packed 'very' well too)!

I would opt for the WOOD BOX for piece of mind. We used a very reputable company 'Allied Pickfords' but still had problems!

Good news is - the insurance company paid up enough to buy a like for like replacement, but we put a bit extra and have now got an awesome 42" PLASMA TV - and its bloody great!

So, worked out alright in the end eh For me anyway the Film Buff of the family

Take care

Gill
Thanks Gill
I'm not sure now whether to just make sure I am well insured or get a wooden box!!! Wouldn't mind a new one if it did get damaged!!!!
It's not got any sentimental attatchment to it!!
Thanks for the reply
Take Care Marie
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

ken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the roughken.rooney is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Gill
I'm not sure now whether to just make sure I am well insured or get a wooden box!!! Wouldn't mind a new one if it did get damaged!!!!
Thanks for the reply
Take Care Marie
Even if it is insured they may not pay out if you did not pack it safely, as you know insurance companies love to take but hate giving it back!!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gill
Thanks for the reply
Take Care Marie

Hi Marie!

Forget to say re 'insurance'

Read your forms very carefully, put the TV value and replacement value in the right category - beacuse if you dont - the insurance company may not pay out should anything happen. Just bear this in mind. They can be very awkward if you haven't read the 'small print'!

Gill
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi Marie!

Forget to say re 'insurance'

Read your forms very carefully, put the TV value and replacement value in the right category - beacuse if you dont - the insurance company may not pay out should anything happen. Just bear this in mind. They can be very awkward if you haven't read the 'small print'!

Gill
Hi Gill,
Thanks for that will do. I do have a question about insurance versus liability. Have you any ideas!!! PSS the shippers we are going with have Marine Liability policy. They said it's not much different to Insurance, you still claim the same and still get paid out the same!! I said to her I thought liability meant you had to prove just that! She said we didn't! Alittle unsure to the policy they are offering, woundering whether to get my own insurance! Any ideas? What insurance did you have?
Thanks
Marie
Old Jun 19th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Marie - just picked up this message, busy weekend!

We used the Insurance company Allied Pickfords work with 'VERO MARINE'. Were not happy with the response we got when having to put a claim in - phoning a company in the UK from Australia is bad enough, re time diff., without having to deal with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about! It took us numerous phone calls and emails to sort out our problem - just be aware this can happen even with the best of intentions when using a so called ' reliable insurance company'!

If doing it again, we would probably find our own insurers. Unless you read all the 'small print', you take the risk of not being aware of certain 'clauses' which, if you put a claim in, can cause problems!

Just be sure whatever forms you are filling out, you look for a paragraph/column that refers to 'HIGH VALUE ITEMS'. On ours it was items which exceeded £750 to replace like for like. Just check the 'small print'! Take the time to read the forms thoroughly, although its a pain in the arse, better that than not being able to claim any monies owed to you!

Just one more thing to sort out eh Try to get it done and dusted, the sooner the better, then you can concentrate of other things like - when you get to Australia Life will be a rollercoaster for a while then, a good one of course

Hope the above makes sense to you - if not just give us a shout!

Good luck!

Gill
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Marie - just picked up this message, busy weekend!

We used the Insurance company Allied Pickfords work with 'VERO MARINE'. Were not happy with the response we got when having to put a claim in - phoning a company in the UK from Australia is bad enough, re time diff., without having to deal with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about! It took us numerous phone calls and emails to sort out our problem - just be aware this can happen even with the best of intentions when using a so called ' reliable insurance company'!

If doing it again, we would probably find our own insurers. Unless you read all the 'small print', you take the risk of not being aware of certain 'clauses' which, if you put a claim in, can cause problems!

Just be sure whatever forms you are filling out, you look for a paragraph/column that refers to 'HIGH VALUE ITEMS'. On ours it was items which exceeded £750 to replace like for like. Just check the 'small print'! Take the time to read the forms thoroughly, although its a pain in the arse, better that than not being able to claim any monies owed to you!

Just one more thing to sort out eh Try to get it done and dusted, the sooner the better, then you can concentrate of other things like - when you get to Australia Life will be a rollercoaster for a while then, a good one of course

Hope the above makes sense to you - if not just give us a shout!

Good luck!

Gill
Hi Gill,
Thanks for the advice your a star.
I've seen the bit about High value Items. I'm just waiting for my brother to get back to me now with some insurance companies. Time is sooooooo running out :scared:
Thanks again
Marie
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Gill,
Thanks for the advice your a star.
I've seen the bit about High value Items. I'm just waiting for my brother to get back to me now with some insurance companies. Time is sooooooo running out :scared:
Thanks again
Marie

NO WORRIES!!!

All the best with the move - send us a PM when you arrive - would love to hear from you!

Gill
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

NO WORRIES!!!

All the best with the move - send us a PM when you arrive - would love to hear from you!

Gill
Will do.
Thanks Gill,
Hope to see you soon.
Don't think I'm not getting in touch if you don't hear for a while as we are taking 4 months out travelling asia. We land in Brisbane on 15th October!!
Oz here we come!!!
Take Care
Marie