Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are you migrating?

Why are you migrating?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

fattyandgyps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are you migrating?

My fiance is coming to oz on a prospective marriage visa so I have been keeping an eye on the forum for the past few months. I am interested in knowing what makes people decide to migrate with their children to oz - obviously to start a new life- but why ? It seems to me to be such a brave move, so I am just interested to know the reasons behind the move.
Good luck to everyone applying for their visa's

Gyps
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:21 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

We dont have kids yet but hope to in the next three or four years.

We want to go so we can live mortgage free so therefore can work fewer hours and spend more time together, enjoy a better climate, less crime etc and a more active way of life.

I dont want to get into running the UK down but living here means we're tied to working our butts off just to keep afloat, we rarely go out or abroad on holiday and due to hubbys long working day dont get to spend "quality time" (hate that phrase!) together.

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bridiej

I dont want to get into running the UK down
OK, I will then.

I migrated because I couldn't stand all the shaven headed, mockney, ill mannered yobbos. Crap weather and it's overcrowded. Been here 18 months love it, never want to go back the the toilet that is the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:30 am
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
OK, I will then.

I migrated because I couldn't stand all the shaven headed, mockney, ill mannered yobbos. Crap weather and it's overcrowded. Been here 18 months love it, never want to go back the the toilet that is the UK.
Don't hold back Renth, tell it like it is!!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:34 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bridiej
Hi there

We dont have kids yet but hope to in the next three or four years.

We want to go so we can live mortgage free so therefore can work fewer hours and spend more time together, enjoy a better climate, less crime etc and a more active way of life.

I dont want to get into running the UK down but living here means we're tied to working our butts off just to keep afloat, we rarely go out or abroad on holiday and due to hubbys long working day dont get to spend "quality time" (hate that phrase!) together.

hate to tell you the working week out here is longer than the uk.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 7:35 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I will then.

Hey Renth

Me thinks you've started a long thread now with your comments!!

Migration.... well, less debt, less stressful jobs, better climate, warmer surf, no hibernation (between Nov and Feb, in UK only have 8 months living a year coz these months are desperate), more casual lifestyle, outdoor lifestyle, better prospects for my children, escape the little pricks that terrorise my neighbourhood (who incidentley I would like to have a quiet word with, if you know what I mean, but would lose my job if I did) see more of our family in Oz the list goes on and on.

Walla
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Default Re: Why are you migrating?

Again we dont have kids yet but we believe we will be in a better place to start trying once we get to OZ. In Tasmania ( where we want to go ) the air is clean and the children seem so much more outgoing than kids here. I can only speak for the kids I met out there but none of them spent their time in front of the playstation or TV- they were boogie boarding, snorkelling and swimming ( yes I know its cold out there but there mad !! ) There is less crime and kids seem more innocent. My husband and I want to bring up our children in the best possible place and we recon we have found it in Tasmania.
Plus in England despite earning a good wage we can only afford a small 3 bed house- in Tasmania we can have a large 4 bed house with a large garden and plenty of space for kids and the many pets ( small zoo ) I intend to have !!!! ( dont tell the husband though !! )

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

We are doing it purely and simply for the kids.

An outdoor lifestyle and a country of such opportunity could not be passed up on, particularly after achieving the pass mark.

Besides, we live on the Isle of Man and the house prices are almost comparable with those in the Home Counties.

I dread to think how our children would be able to afford their own property in twenty years time here.

Most young people on the Island are forced to buy with family members or friends to get them on the ladder.

Tourism here threatens to be extinct and the financial boom is on the decline. Jobs are starting to dry up.

Immigrants from the Eastern block countries are flooding the Island and it's generally more unsafe than it was ten years ago.

That's our story and reasons.

Three Legs

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, sounds like you did live in a toilet the way you describe the UK.

Never mind, at least there's no crime, drugs, yobbos, over-crowding, pollution, or obnoxious children in Australia, and houses there are completely affordable
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:07 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are you migrating?

Me and my Aussie other half have tried Nottingham for a couple of years and are now off to try Brisbane.

May find it is not better than the UK and head back to Nottingham may love it and spend the rest of my days there.

Renth i'm a shaven headed football fan can I not come into Oz??????

TT

Originally posted by fattyandgyps
My fiance is coming to oz on a prospective marriage visa so I have been keeping an eye on the forum for the past few months. I am interested in knowing what makes people decide to migrate with their children to oz - obviously to start a new life- but why ? It seems to me to be such a brave move, so I am just interested to know the reasons behind the move.
Good luck to everyone applying for their visa's

Gyps
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:10 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

OK, I will then.

Agreed, and another thing is that we can live mortgage free and go to the beach more often and enjoy BBQ's with our children, the pro's outweigh any con's.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:14 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

because we can, it will be a challenge, why not?

If it works out, then great, if it does'nt then we can return to UK (likely to be with Oz citizenship) and that can all be done before our child will be 4yrs old, thus not much disruption to his/her education etc
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:19 am
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by uluru
Agreed, and another thing is that we can live mortgage free and go to the beach more often and enjoy BBQ's with our children, the pro's outweigh any con's.
There's got to be more than BBQ's and a beach on offer!!!

We live on the coast and rarely go to the beach ( maybe three times a year ) and it's not the weather stopping us I guess we just take it for granted. I have been looking at moving to the Perth area but maybe further inland, benefits are cheaper houses so should be able to live mortgage free with possibly a pool but downside is schooling, work and shopping facilities etc.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:24 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Why am I migrating? Easy, Australia is my home and I'm going home. I also want to bring my kids up there.

Plus, the US is the Land of Stress(TM) and I could do without that.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 9:40 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I will then.

OK, my reasons include all of the above, plus the growing crime rate (despite what the stats say!), the fact that we are not rich (so have to work) and not low income (so get no help from the state whatsoever) and have to shell out so much just to exist that there is next to nothing left for actually living!

Plus the enormous influx of illegal immigrants in our area (we're on the Kent coast about 15 miles from Dover so have tonnes of them!) which adds to the crime and sick and tired of hearing about the handouts they get whilst we are eeking an existance...

Have always fancied Oz, and think it's the right environment to bring up a family and although working week may be longer, hubby currently works 60+ hours a week, so surely he'll be doing less hours than that (hope)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.