Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Are You Going?

Why Are You Going?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:03 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Why Are You Going?

Hello all
It seems in my short time on this forum most of us seem quite "normal"
as in have jobs homes and pretty good standard of living etc, we have just started the TRA process and are gathering the info slowly but surely and my god it is sooo stressful I know most feel the same I think!
So what are you hoping for when you finally arrive in OZ and what are your main reasons for going?
For us its more out door lifestyle, climate, safer enviroment for kids and just because I feel the need for adventure before its to late I would hate to get to retirement and say we should have at least tried it.

Looking forward to hearing everyones views

Cheers Kris
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Default Re: Why Are You Going?

My husband's Australian, we want to spend sometime with his family, he's been over here since 1999. I want to go also for the change, we're going to Victoria. I think Australia is a very beautiful place, there's so much room over there. We plan to start a family there as I thinks its a better country to raise children in!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:21 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pako
My husband's Australian, we want to spend sometime with his family, he's been over here since 1999. I want to go also for the change, we're going to Victoria. I think Australia is a very beautiful place, there's so much room over there. We plan to start a family there as I thinks its a better country to raise children in!
Pretty much the same reason as PAKO, My husband is also Australian and he was in the UK with me from 2001 until we left last year to move back to his home town (sorry City ) of Geraldton WA.

Kala
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

londonjas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

My wife and I are planning to head out to Melbourne to start a family and hopefully live a slightly more relaxed life than here in London. Also my wife's family live in Melbourne which of course is a factor!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:59 pm
newbie (sydney bound)

jayney will become famous soon enough

We are going for same reasons as Kris, and probably most people are doing the same. We cant wait! kids didn't like the idea at first but now have come around. We have gotten our TRA and now just putting final touches to main app. Agents gets it all on Monday so fingers crossed its all in order and should go off as soon as poss. (we are Maynard's aswell lol).
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody has said "Just for the hell of it" yet - so I will
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:42 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, I don't know exactly why I'm going.

All I know is that I have always been fond of Australia since I was a child. In part it is because my father was fond of it, too... we always watched docs about Australia together...

When I was 16, I decided I wanted to move there, at least for a while, and see how it was... if this "push" I felt inside towards Australia meant something or not...
I would have gone there after I finished studying, but unfortunately my father died right during my last year at school, so I suddenly had other things to think about for a while.
Then in 2000, at the age of 28, things started to look up again, at last, although I was crossing a bad emotional period.
I was invited to the US by some friends, but I was about to decline because I kept on telling myself I "couldn't do it", it was too expensive, I couldn't afford it, etc.... but at a certain point I realised that I wasn't even trying. For example: I hadn't even checked my bank account to see if I had the money or not... I realised I was taking my father's same path of denial of self, which in the end killed him... it was a sort of electroshock, but a positive one... so I checked my bank account and, there you go, I found I did have the money, after all... so I went to the US, enjoyed myself greatly, came back... and I told myself: "Well, if I managed to do this, I can move to Australia, too!"

When I talked to my mother about this, I found out that my father, too, had seriously thought of moving to Australia, but he didn't because he already had a family and children... he had never told me that.

So, I can't tell precisely the reasons why I'm going... it's because of all the above, and more, but I think I will really find out only when I get there...
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:52 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Nobody has said "Just for the hell of it" yet - so I will
That just about does it for me too. I would also add that having had the thought I couldn't live the rest of my live thinking "what if" if we had stayed.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:04 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Hello all
as in have jobs homes and pretty good standard of living etc, we have just started the TRA process and are gathering the info slowly but surely and my god it is sooo stressful I know most feel the same I think!
So what are you hoping for when you finally arrive in OZ and what are your main reasons for going?
For us its more out door lifestyle, climate, safer enviroment for kids and just because I feel the need for adventure before its to late I would hate to get to retirement and say we should have at least tried it.

Cheers Kris
Fed up with life in London.

Crap choice of schools, having to pay extra council tax for that w@nker Ken Livingston, just so that he can exclude Londoners from driving through our area without paying, yet have the front to increase the cost of public transport.

Had enough of being run from Europe, and corpus amounts of illegals living over here, and the fact that we can't send them right home when they are identified as being illegal.

Crime, especially Gun and violent crime, going though the roof, but what really gives me the hump, is how when someone gets life over here, there then put a - "to serve a minimum of nine years" aghhhhhh.

The complete loss of "community".......

Well, you did ask.....
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:11 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Why Are You Going?

fetish for spiders and tiny flying biting things
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonjas
Hi all

My wife and I are planning to head out to Melbourne to start a family and hopefully live a slightly more relaxed life than here in London. Also my wife's family live in Melbourne which of course is a factor!

Hi ours is a similar reason to everybody else, more relaxed lifestyle etc. I also have more family in Australia than I do in the UK, before I was born my Parents had their Visas for New Zealand and the day befoe the Ship sailed my Mum decided that she could not leave her Family. My Dad always wondered what life would have been like if they had got on that Ship ( one things for certain they would have seen more sheep than they did spending their lives in Dagenham) and I do not want to spend the rest of our lives thinking "what if".
We have just got our Passports back with our Visas in them and cannot wait to go.

John & Julie

Last edited by jond; Jun 3rd 2005 at 2:41 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:48 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayney
We are going for same reasons as Kris, and probably most people are doing the same. We cant wait! kids didn't like the idea at first but now have come around. We have gotten our TRA and now just putting final touches to main app. Agents gets it all on Monday so fingers crossed its all in order and should go off as soon as poss. (we are Maynard's aswell lol).
Cant believe there are another lot of Maynards in Essex!! Where in Essex are you?

Kris
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:49 pm
Happy Member

Cheers everyone for replying reasons are mainly as i thought they would be.
Come on any one else!!

Kris
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:59 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Fed up with life in London.

Had enough of being run from Europe, and corpus amounts of illegals living over here, and the fact that we can't send them right home when they are identified as being illegal.

Crime, especially Gun and violent crime, going though the roof, but what really gives me the hump, is how when someone gets life over here, there then put a - "to serve a minimum of nine years" aghhhhhh.

Well, you did ask.....
I would echo the above and add that for me personally, the thought of being able to sell our teeny weeny little house here in affluent Surrey, that costs us a fortune each month in a mortgage, then be able to buy a house in WA (near to my beloved sister) twice the size of the one we have here with the equity from the sale of this one and have no mortgage would be such a HUGE financial struggle off my mind.

I want to be able to spend time with my family whereas at the moment all we ever do is work work and more work just to keep our heads above water. I want to be able to enjoy my son not just purely EXIST

Anne
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Hello all

Cheers Kris
hello we are echoing everyone else for our reasons of moving over, hoping for a more chilled out life

toni

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.