Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why would I insure?

Why would I insure?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:36 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Angry Why would I insure?

I've just read the small print on the insurance for my goods, it does NOT include;

Breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining or tearing of any item.
Mechanical, electrical or electronic derangement

(to name but a few)

so unless the container sinks (and my stuff isn't well wrapped in brown paper and then bubble wrap and floats a meter below the surface ) what exactly am I insuring myself against?!!?

Any ideas, anyone!? :lecture:
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why would I insure?

Originally posted by mlbonner
I've just read the small print on the insurance for my goods, it does NOT include;

Breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining or tearing of any item.
Mechanical, electrical or electronic derangement

(to name but a few)

so unless the container sinks (and my stuff isn't well wrapped in brown paper and then bubble wrap and floats a meter below the surface ) what exactly am I insuring myself against?!!?

Any ideas, anyone!? :lecture:
warping or melting?

it does sound rather crazy tho !!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

What shipping company are you using and who are the insurers?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:11 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by steandleigh
What shipping company are you using and who are the insurers?
Seven Seas & its Norwich Union insurance (through 7 seas)
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:13 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
warping or melting?

it does sound rather crazy tho !!
No, they have that covered too

"scratching, denting, bruising or marking of furniture constructed of plastic coated composition or chipboard....."
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:45 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by mlbonner
No, they have that covered too

"scratching, denting, bruising or marking of furniture constructed of plastic coated composition or chipboard....."

OMG, although not good for anyone shipping anything that really is quite funny.

Anyone in insurance (who dares to admit it) out there who can explain.

Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You got what you paid for = what you were sold.

Sounds like a disaster cover only - total loss.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We went with PSS and took out the insurance- thankfully. We had a broken mirror, scratched bike and a broken piece of fine china. Most of this was down to the customs opening things and not sealing them up properly. I claimed around 300 pounds on the insurance and got paid it in full minus the excess which was about 100 pounds.

It was well worth taking it out as we claimed back almost as much as we had paid and we had piece of mind. I would look into a different company as PSS and John Masons fully cover you for most events.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Ah well, its all done now, I managed to find (in even smaller print) that you could insure against all risk and not just total loss for an extra 1.5% so I have done that. Goods get picked up at 9.30am & my insurance worked out at about £30 (I only have personal affects). Just not going to worry about it too much & hopefully see it in a couple of months!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:45 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you were had!

We insured everything for all conceivable losses.. including scratchng etc.

All for 1.5%, not for an extra 1.5%

Something seems to have gone wrong with your insurance somewhere?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:05 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally posted by Sazzle
I think you were had!

We insured everything for all conceivable losses.. including scratchng etc.

All for 1.5%, not for an extra 1.5%

Something seems to have gone wrong with your insurance somewhere?
Well I think it was only .5% originally, so I can cope with 2% value insurance when I don't have much stuff. Plus the quote is a couple hundred cheaper than anywhere else and so far they've been excellent... time will tell!