Reload this Page >

Why would anybody want to migrate

Why would anybody want to migrate

Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why would anybody want to migrate

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by etlniwd:
Why would anybody want to migrate to a country they had never visited before ? Sounds very risky.

If anyone is doing this then please tell us why. I'd be interested to know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life's a risk in itself, we are ones that havn't done the trip, but if we had would we be any the wiser for a 2,3 or 4 week one off trip I would have thought that the majority of people would be in holiday mode during this time, and would they make a more informed opinion while in this mood than someone who hasn't visited. its HOLIDAY time don't lets forget, no work, no early starts, no rush hour etc etc
I am sure its different for the multi visitor or the long stay people they will be more informed (friends family work and the experience) but I cannot speak for them.

We have tried other places for a month at a time and although nice there are language and culture differences, France would be the easiest for us (not too bad with the lingo) but nah!

Anyway one of us has always wanted to do it and the other has been happy here up until the last couple of years, so we took a straw poll and Canada we thought might be too cold , NZ although sounds fantastic wasn't too sure about the 6 months temp visa bit in our case and the scores of N Zealanders crossing over to Oz. So we opted for OZ, we do have friends and family in OZ and probably we should have visited but too late now.
We have had lots of support from friends and family in the UK or maybe they want to see the back of us(somone has offered to pay for our flights)
We could stay here be comfortable nice house nice cars holidays await pensions then die or sod it lets just go for it, so we have chosen the sod it bit and still snuff it at the end, lifes too short and I wish I had gone for it before I had spent 42 years here.

IF WE DO MAKE A MISTAKE THEN IT WILL BE OUR MISTAKE

Anyway this our naive opinion

After reading this I am not sure if I have answered the original question but I'm sure someone will point that out

Hoping this makes some sense to someone

Paul

Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

rday will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why would anybody want to migrate

we have never been,
the way i look at it is if an ozzy can live in oz,then i (pommy) being broadminded can live there,knowing that i have to make a few changes (cultural)to my self to fit in,i know there is no paradise on earth,and nowhere could be perfect,
i was born in uk 37 yrs ago,and since leaving school in the thatcher days,i ve seen it going downhill,i ve got lots to moan about. now ,if i went to oz,i will except every thing as it is ,because i am choosing to live there on my own free will ( as apposed to uk as i was born there.)any thing i dont like about oz -i will either except or work around it.

risk factor -zero

rday
Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:56 am
Robert Edwards

Gee .....what a great attitude rday.......I feel sure you will be a success here I
wish you and your family all the best. (you do understand you will be required to
drink ice cold beer) joke

Rob

"rday" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > we have never been,

Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:22 am
Ian Guy

Concur with rday - must be the same generation - was earning £30K, but living like
tripe - 1 hour each way to work, pollution, one mugging per week in the small village
where I lived (2 armed robberies and a murder since I left!) - UK is going down the
pan - the current government is only just to the left of M. Thatcher (IMHO)

"Robert Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gee .....what a great attitude rday.......I feel sure you will be a
success
    > here I wish you and your family all the best. (you do understand you will be
    > required to drink ice cold beer) joke
    > Rob
    > "rday" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > we have never been,

Old Aug 13th 2002, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Why would anybody want to migrate

QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Guy:
Concur with rday - must be the same generation - was earning £30K, but living like
tripe - 1 hour each way to work, pollution, one mugging per week in the small village
where I lived (2 armed robberies and a murder since I left!) - UK is going down the
pan - the current government is only just to the left of M. Thatcher (IMHO)

"Robert Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gee .....what a great attitude rday.......I feel sure you will be a
success
    > here I wish you and your family all the best. (you do understand you will be
    > required to drink ice cold beer) joke
    > Rob
    > "rday" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > we have never been,
[/QUOTE]I agree,this government need a new series of spitting image
Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:01 pm
ndaltonb

Not much risk. All depends on attitude etc.

I've sort of already done it once before. At 21 years old, landed at Heathrow at midnight from South Africa with £1,000, two suitcases and an address of a family friend. Having given it 16 years, I can leave knowing I've tried it and can't really find anything to keep me here. Suppose I've just got bored and really, really miss that old yeller ball in the sky. There really isn't anything I'll miss except that mainland Europe is easy to get to, other than the once a year I go across the channel on anything other than business.

We looked at US and went over three times looking at houses, land etc, but as Snickers said, going on holiday as way way different to living there. Even if we had gone to Aus on holiday, it wouldn't help in preparing to move out there permanently. I lived in Ireland for 3 years and did not have a good experience (anyone heard of blow-in's? lots of resentment from locals), however I recommend it to my friends as a great place to go on holiday!

At r'day put ist so well, have to make a few changes to myself, can't expect Aus to change to accomodate me In Aus at least I know I am an immigrant and act accordingly. What an adventure

My philosophical moment for the day.

Nigel db

Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re: Why would anybody want to migrate

A mate of mine at work came over to Britain from South Africa. He had toyed with the idea of going over to Perth but circumstances changed and its not really an option any more.

He says that the similarity between SA and Aus was the climate, outdoor lifestyle and the feeling that when work was finished the day wasn't over !

Apparently, there are a lot of South Africans in Perth.

GW
Old Aug 13th 2002, 3:19 pm
Slipstream

rday - you are going to fit in here very well!!!

"rday" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > we have never been, the way i look at it is if an ozzy can live in oz,then i
    > (pommy) being broadminded can live there,knowing that i have to make a few changes
    > (cultural)to my self to fit in,i know there is no paradise on earth,and nowhere
    > could be perfect, i was born in uk 37 yrs ago,and since leaving school in the
    > thatcher days,i ve seen it going downhill,i ve got lots to moan about. now ,if i
    > went to oz,i will except every thing as it is ,because i am choosing to live there
    > on my own free will ( as apposed to uk as i was born there.)any thing i dont like
    > about oz -i will either except or work around it.
    > risk factor -zero
    > rday
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why would anybody want to migrate for etlniwd

Etlniwd theres a few replies for you

Paul

Last edited by Snickers; Aug 13th 2002 at 10:08 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2002, 2:07 pm
Nick

I like the point about living in Oz through choice rather than luck (?!) of birth but
to add a point.

I have vistited Oz and was most definitely in full on holiday mode. (Still buying a
case of VB a week after 6 months being back).

We landed in Perth and stayed with family in Narrogin for a while. Also visited
Sydney and Brisbane.

Perth was the *only* place in the world I felt instantly happy (I've read it
described as "that gut feeling"). I loved everywhere else in OZ but Perth felt
like home.

I've travelled a number of countries and never got that feeling anywhere else
(although Boston MA is close).

Things are different, work looks tough, housing isn't as cheap as people say. But my
experiences have been coloured by the people I met and their attitude to life. If
you're prepared to be flexible and accept the differences as an opportunity to
change, I reckon there's no better place!

All the best

Nick