Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:10 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by johanne
Well said Anya
Are you both still up for the bbq at Cardinia on the 20th?
ps lettuce is 99c today at Safeway...
We sure are - wouldn't miss it for the world!

Lettuce at 99c - disgusting. I'm on the next plane back to Blighty where I can buy 50 lettuces for 20p!

Actually giant, scary sized fennel were dirt cheap last time I looked, too. Yum!

Cheers
Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by clandfam
what the hell is the problem with asking if a tv bought in the uk will work in oz?
it's not a whinge, but a credible question. same as importing a car/bike/microwave etc

I think the majority of this thread is saying there is no problem at all. You're right it is a credible question.......fire any questions you like. This is what the forum is all about.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:58 am
wombat42

Perhaps we should divide the forum into two:
"The Whinging Poms forum" for those who only have negative things to say about OZ and
"The Rose Tinted Glasses Forum" for those who only have positive things to say about OZ. It would advoid alot of arguments.

Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
"The Whinging Poms forum" for those who only have negative things to say about OZ and
"The Rose Tinted Glasses Forum" for those who only have positive things to say about OZ. It would advoid alot of arguments.
What are you going to do with the majority of forum users though, who make both types of post
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:13 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
Tsk tsk Wombat - another one trying to take away our rights to argue & disagree with each other from time to time.

Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was planning to post a whole load of positive stuff this week, about last weeks Indy racing, about the week we spent in Surfers, and about my first year in Oz.
However, many of my "realistic" posts have recently been condemned as "negative and offputting", hence I am now reluctant to post anything at all about life here in case it is taken the wrong way.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this - derogatory comments about realistic posts have scared away people who would otherwise be posting lots of upbeat stuff about life here.
No Pollyana, put your comments down, if they're negative then so be it! Its the truth! I'm so glad I read the threads and took notice of the positives and negatives otherwise I'd have been in for a shock, and before anyone says it, I have family here and have visited on many occasions before we decided to come over! I don't see it as a pom whinging, I see it as realism.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:28 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What are you going to do with the majority of forum users though, who make both types of post

Well I'd love to hear about the Indy race. I prefer the Indy to the V8s, maybe its the fantastic scenery or the girls or a bit of everything, would love to see it for real one day.
Was dissapointed Dario Franchitti wasn't racing in it this year but would really enjoy reading your account of it Polly, I take it you were working at it??
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
If however I felt really negative about our life here I wouldn't be willing to come and share this on the site - the reason being that I know a lot of people would not want to hear it and would spell that out to me. I'm not saying don't come on here and ask questions - that is what this forum is for! I looked forward to logging on here once we got our internet access sorted out but I find that I rarely do. People should be able to come on and express an opinion without always being criticised
Susan

Sounds like what you are saying is if its not good dont post it because someone wont like it Isnt that their problem, that they cant handle australia is a real country not a flippin fantasy.

So what they gonna do when they get here, wear a plastic sign saying dont upset me Australias harsh, rough and tough so are a lot of its people and places, if people need cottonwool it may not be for them anyway.

Theres only one thing that amazes me, why some people think australia is so perfect , the last thing they really need is a heap of people who live here pussyfootin around facts to avoid upsetting them.

Besides isnt that decieving them.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Firstly I don't think I have my rose tinted glasses on (well possibly a bit at the moment as it is all new!) There are good things about Australia, not so good things, bad things, great things etc etc. I am merely saying that being negative about everything all of the time which is the forum seems to have headed is depressing.
I am also not saying that people will hear bad things about emigrating and then change their mind because someone moans on here! That's ridiculous, emigrating is a big decision for anyone to make and I'm sure noone would change their minds because of something a stranger or virtual stranger said to them!
I am not into supressing free speech as I have been accused of - why would I post in a forum if I felt like that?
I am simply saying that there is negativity towards people on this site when they express views that others do not like. Read back all that has been written here in this discussion alone and you will see what I mean. I have not got personal against any individual here and am disppointed that others feel they now can attack me - it kind of proves one of my points!
And yes, it does get a bit frustrating to see the same questions asked again and again - there is a search facility on this forum which I know I have used a lot...and before anyone else manages to dredge up a 'silly question' or a much repeated question on the forum, I'll admit - yes I probably have asked them!!! Incidentally I'm sure if you do a search then you'll see that a lot of people have made this point before and I agree with them!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE.
mmmm
I am not into supressing free speech as I have been accused of - why would I post in a forum if I felt like that?

The following comes to mind as people have invested so much emotionally.

Last edited by bondipom; Oct 26th 2004 at 5:58 am.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
mmmm

The following comes to mind as people have invested so much emotionally.

Dont suppose you could do the australian version of that cartoon.

For the non cotton wool inclined its sticking your head up your own Ars*.

One for the aussie phrase book
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:10 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Firstly I don't think I have my rose tinted glasses on (well possibly a bit at the moment as it is all new!) There are good things about Australia, not so good things, bad things, great things etc etc. I am merely saying that being negative about everything all of the time which is the forum seems to have headed is depressing.
I am also not saying that people will hear bad things about emigrating and then change their mind because someone moans on here! That's ridiculous, emigrating is a big decision for anyone to make and I'm sure noone would change their minds because of something a stranger or virtual stranger said to them!
I am simply saying that there is negativity towards people on this site when they express views that others do not like. Read back all that has been written here in this discussion alone and you will see what I mean. I have not got personal against any individual here and am disppointed that others feel they now can attack me - it kind of proves one of my points!
And yes, it does get a bit frustrating to see the same questions asked again and again - there is a search facility on this forum which I know I have used a lot...and before anyone else manages to dredge up a 'silly question' or a much repeated question on the forum, I'll admit - yes I probably have asked them!!! Incidentally I'm sure if you do a search then you'll see that a lot of people have made this point before and I agree with them!
Just a few of bigoted_samantha's views, as expressed earlier in this thread:

If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE.
if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!!
Our point is how negative and whinging this site is with people moaning about a variety of things. Look at the posts for the past week to see what I mean. Also about the whole 'will my tv work' type question - when I had a question like that I tried the search mechanism or google etc...as I've already said my pet hates are whinging
We find that there are too many people on this site who are bitter becasue either they are not here yet or because they have returned to the UK because of partners /families views. These are the people who need to move on and get out.
I was NOT saying that those people should get out of Australia but that they should think twice about what they post on this site and if all they can offer is negativity then perhaps they should get out of the site!!!!
For someone who claims to hate whingers, bigoted_samantha, you sure whinge a lot yourself!!

Luckily... most of us here are grownies & can make our own minds up about what we'd like to read on this forum.

For me, that's *everyone's* views, good and bad (even yours!). We don't need our very own Mary Whitehouse-style nanny, trying to censor other people's views, thanks! FWIW, I would fight just as hard for your right to post the bigotry quoted above - I believe we should ALL have our say.

Polly, please post the 12 month 'State of the Nation' ASAP - from this thread: it seems many of us would like to read it.

Newbies - keep those 'TV' questions coming - AFAIC, you're very welcome to ask them.

Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

I believe I've proved my point! Very supportive reply! Check the word 'bigot' out in a dictionary also...! Time to wind this thread up I think...
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Just a few of bigoted_samantha's views, as expressed earlier in this thread:

Polly, please post the 12 month 'State of the Nation' ASAP - from this thread: it seems many of us would like to read it.

Anya.
Yes Polly post your one year up date, I was looking forward to the Indy bit too, never been, always working.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:35 am
Badge

I think people, Sam included, are confusing a whinging Pom attitude with someone who wants to know something, or
is having a blip. I hate the well known whinging Pom attitude too, (although there aren't many with this) but don't begrudge the people in a bit of a fix or need
info. One thing I have always said is attitude really seems to be a key over here, and whilst having it does not automatically
solve things, it can't be a bad thing. I am lucky in that I like Australia culture and attitudes but always knew all the problems.

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.