Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Can any one tell me if it's worth taking my frozen food over to australia with me as I hear they don't do linda macarntey veggie food over there. Will it keep frozen, or will it all defrost??!!! Is that a silly enough question for you??

nice one grayling

I think people should be able to ask whatever they want to and if it doesn't sound interesting to you, then don't read it. I think i will have to disagree with you on this one.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:55 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Yes I remember how stressful the nearly two years were waiting for the visa (with the pregnancy and birth of our first child thrown in - yes that does help the whole view of grandparents when we are moving here)
Our point is how negative and whinging this site is with people moaning about a variety of things. Look at the posts for the past week to see what I mean. Also about the whole 'will my tv work' type question - when I had a question like that I tried the search mechanism or google etc...as I've already said my pet hates are whinging
Best Wishes to all who are applying and I hope you get here. BUt please be positive when you do!
With regard to the comment about income - we are NOT stupid - of course your income is important here that goes without saying.
We find that there are too many people on this site who are bitter becasue either they are not here yet or because they have returned to the UK because of partners /families views. These are the people who need to move on and get out.
We found this site really useful when going through the application process but we didn't whinge and I have no regrets about anything we asked. We just wish people could be more positive about the whole process/move.
I know that politicians in both the UK & Oz have set us all bad examples by shamelessly lying about everything, but it seems unfair to ask the largely decent, honest folk on this forum to lie, too.

Let's at least keep this place a haven of Free Speech & tolerance, where people can tell it *like* *it* *is*, good or bad, without having always to consider whether their comments are politically expedient or not.

Or is that asking too much....?

Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Oct 26th 2004 at 12:06 am.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Why should we just write about the good stuff?

I for one like the idea that you get two sides of the argument. I don't just want to hear how fantastic it is here, I want the nitty gritty stuff, everyday stuff.

Saying that, it is also great to hear how brilliant Australia is but you have got to keep it real.

If they want to whing, let them, you don't have to read it!

Mandy
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:00 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

We find that there are too many people on this site who are bitter becasue either they are not here yet or because they have returned to the UK because of partners /families views. These are the people who need to move on and get out.
In other words: 'If they don't agree with *my* set of opinions, they can b*gger off!'

I would rename yourself 'Bigoted_Samanatha' if I were you!

Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:22 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was planning to post a whole load of positive stuff this week, about last weeks Indy racing, about the week we spent in Surfers, and about my first year in Oz.
However, many of my "realistic" posts have recently been condemned as "negative and offputting", hence I am now reluctant to post anything at all about life here in case it is taken the wrong way.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this - derogatory comments about realistic posts have scared away people who would otherwise be posting lots of upbeat stuff about life here.

hey Polly, you post what the hell you want to, after all, you've been here long enough, lived the life and got the t-shirt, so I reckon you're entitled to an opinion!! We followed your posts throughout whole visa process, all your ups and downs, and found them both hilarious and informative.

All the folks who sit in front of their PC screens each day in the UK, devouring info on Oz, trying to mentally prepare themselves for what they feel will be a huge adventure, sadly, have no idea do they? We were those folks some months ago!!

You cannot even begin to understand what the whole emigrating process involves until you actually do it. The final hurdle is the actual move, the dismantling of your life in the UK and the re-assembling of it here in Australia. How you put it back together is a personal choice.

All I can say to people is don't judge someone who feels the need to complain about something that appears trivial to you, each of us has our own needs after all. As the old wise saying goes, "don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" because if you do, it might come back and bite you on the butt!!

Last edited by holte end; Oct 26th 2004 at 12:25 am.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Just want to clarify that my point is that there is so much negativity on this site which is off-putting to people who are at different stages of the emigration process. It is interesting to see how much negativity this post has attracted (and yes I do realise that my title and indeed some of the things I said were negative too!!!!) I've read many people say that they do not wish to make comments that can in any way be construed as negative for fear of what is said in response to them. At the moment life here is good for us but we know that it is early days still. If however I felt really negative about our life here I wouldn't be willing to come and share this on the site - the reason being that I know a lot of people would not want to hear it and would spell that out to me. I'm not saying don't come on here and ask questions - that is what this forum is for! I looked forward to logging on here once we got our internet access sorted out but I find that I rarely do. People should be able to come on and express an opinion without always being criticised
Incidentally with regard to the comment about being a bigot - ridiculous! I was NOT saying that those people should get out of Australia but that they should think twice about what they post on this site and if all they can offer is negativity then perhaps they should get out of the site!!!!
I appreciate honest comments about life here (good or bad) but the whinging gets me down
Susan
p.s. Am now an expert on wine casks so could answer my own question!!!!! For those of you in Aus - isn't Dan Murphys great!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to clarify that my point is that there is so much negativity on this site which is off-putting to people who are at different stages of the emigration process.
Sometimes its a very fine line between 'realism' and 'negativity'

People should be able to come on and express an opinion without always being criticised.
People should be able to post negative opinions as well as positive though.

I was NOT saying that those people should get out of Australia but that they should think twice about what they post on this site and if all they can offer is negativity then perhaps they should get out of the site!!!!
But it seems from the replies on this post - and from a large bundle of private messages I received over the last week - that some people DO want to read the negative stuff, and don't just want to be told how blue the sky is and how clean the beaches are.
The trouble is that the true-to-life posts are vanishing because a few people don't like them. Gradually we stop posting about our experiences, and either vanish altogether, or just post jokey stuff. People are now thinking twice before sharing their experiences - I've already binned my "12 months on" post because it wasn't 100% positive and sunshiny.

I hope life continues to be lovely and rose-tinted for you, Susan.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:23 am
scoobydoo

Samantha.....thie forum is not just for the "happy" stories and questions. It is for everyone to share their thoughts and experiences on living or trying to get to Australia. Some of those experiences may be negative and it often helps for people to be able to offload their thoughts. It also helps others who are trying to get to Australia see what others are going through, and maybe prepare them for times when all may not be wonderful.

If you feel that you would be unable to express negative comments for fear of how they may be construed then more fool you. There are an enormous amount of supportive people on this forum, and many that have been through bad times. If we don't tell it as it is we are enforcing the myth that life is all rosy when you emigrate to new lands....and the people that feel down or are having a hard time will disapear and lose the support that they may need to get them through.

Anyway...we have to keep up the tradition of the whinging pom!!!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:31 am
scoobydoo

But it seems from the replies on this post - and from a large bundle of private messages I received over the last week - that some people DO want to read the negative stuff, and don't just want to be told how blue the sky is and how clean the beaches are.
The trouble is that the true-to-life posts are vanishing because a few people don't like them. Gradually we stop posting about our experiences, and either vanish altogether, or just post jokey stuff. People are now thinking twice before sharing their experiences - I've already binned my "12 months on" post because it wasn't 100% positive and sunshiny.

Pollyanna....please do not bin your 12 months on report as I want to read it and I am sure there are others who do too. Pleeeease.

Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:43 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Incidentally with regard to the comment about being a bigot - ridiculous! I was NOT saying that those people should get out of Australia but that they should think twice about what they post on this site and if all they can offer is negativity then perhaps they should get out of the site!!!!
I appreciate honest comments about life here (good or bad) but the whinging gets me down
So I was right - you ARE in the business of suppressing Free Speech.

If the 'whinging' as you call it gets you down, maybe it is *you* who should get out of the site (why not go join one of the many political parties who are currently in the business of taking our rights away & suppressing Free Speech - with your views, you will do well)!

Tell ya what - leave us guys alone to 'whinge' & go watch FOXTEL on that 32 inch TV of yours!

Anya.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:53 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by anya4oz

If the 'whinging' as you call it gets you down, maybe it is *you* who should get out of the site (why not go join one of the many political parties who are currently in the business of taking our rights away & suppressing Free Speech - with your views, you will do well)!

Tell ya what - leave us guys alone to 'whinge' & go watch FOXTEL on that 32 inch TV of yours!

Anya.

Well said Anya
Are you both still up for the bbq at Cardinia on the 20th?
ps lettuce is 99c today at Safeway...
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by anya4oz

Anya.
!!!!! !!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Please take your "12 months on" post out of the bin and tell it to us Polly!
I for one, (and I'm sure there's loads more....) would like to read a bit of "realism" on this forum (even if it's not all blue skies and sunshine!) You've been here, done it, bought the t-shirt, (and the witchy hat........!) Now tell us how it is..... (for you anyway...!)
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Just want to clarify that my point is that there is so much negativity on this site which is off-putting to people who are at different stages of the emigration process. It is interesting to see how much negativity this post has attracted (and yes I do realise that my title and indeed some of the things I said were negative too!!!!) I've read many people say that they do not wish to make comments that can in any way be construed as negative for fear of what is said in response to them. At the moment life here is good for us but we know that it is early days still. If however I felt really negative about our life here I wouldn't be willing to come and share this on the site - the reason being that I know a lot of people would not want to hear it and would spell that out to me. I'm not saying don't come on here and ask questions - that is what this forum is for! I looked forward to logging on here once we got our internet access sorted out but I find that I rarely do. People should be able to come on and express an opinion without always being criticised
Susan
p.s. Am now an expert on wine casks so could answer my own question!!!!! For those of you in Aus - isn't Dan Murphys great!!!!!!!!

I can honestly say that whinging gets me down too but as you state, this is what this site is for. There is no way that any comment on this forum would put off potential migrants and it is insulting their intelligence to suggest so. Bad TV, the lack of pure cotton, the cockroaches are all part of life - true life. People are intelligent enough to know that life, where ever in the world, will never be 'perfect'. The people reading these posts are looking for any new information they can find while they go through the tedious, painful wait for their visa and the start of their new life. Try to think back to how you felt during this process and not sit on the moral high ground.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

what the hell is the problem with asking if a tv bought in the uk will work in oz?
it's not a whinge, but a credible question. same as importing a car/bike/microwave etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.